AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 6093 Posts

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
The lower signal strength at night might not be caused by lower signal, but dropped bits probably caused by skip. When I lived in Blytheville, I regularly picked up stations from Mo, Ky, Ms, La, and Ar at night. Check the analog channels when you see the signal drop off, and see if you are picking up skip. I live on a hilltop in North Little Rock, but have a 200' higher ridge to my east, and still pick up Memphis 52-1 occasionally off the back of my antenna. Wish I could afford about a 120' tower, I would really love to get the antenna up there. At my old location, I could watch Memphis stations from about 5pm to about 11am the next morning.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hey Davenir.........

I posted a question to you on another forum..........are you familiar with a combiner used with 2 antennas pointed in differnet directions.....the secondary antenna used for one channel only.....I think Winegaurd used to make them, but I have yet to find any info........

Thanks for the dropout info..........I hate to say Im not familiar with the term "skip". What would I look for on the analog stations.........BTW my analog reception is not what I think it should be.....

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
To add a single channel antenna pointed another direction from a main antenna, you need a channel master single channel block inserter, it blocks the single channel from the main feedline, and allows you to insert the channel from the second antenna. I believe stark electronics sells them.

Skip is where signals follow the curvature of the earth due to atmospheric conditions usually found in early AM and mid PM hours, instead of following the usual line of site direct lines. To check for it, watch channel 3 and 5, if you start hearing a whine, and the picture becomes wavy, there is skip. May come from different directions on different days. 3 and 5 there are usually the first ones affected. If you can get channel 6 or 9 from Mississippi, then its definantly a good night.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks Man................

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hey Memphis HDTV'ers.....I have been doing some comparisons of the OTA NTSC and ATSC channels out of Memphis, and I have noticed the sound on the ATSC(hd) channels to be somewhat lacking, almost not even stero.

I dont have my E86 hooked to my A/V reciver, just straight to the TV, so I was wondering if that was the problem. Does anyone know what kind of audio is being transmitted out of Memphis??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I had no NBC all day Sunday...........was there a problem at the station??

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well...I got an answer from TWC here in Memphis and the news wasn't good. After originally telling me June 1st 2002 for local HDTV over cable, now they have NO IDEA when TWC will start local HDTV. Typical cable customer service !!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:
Typical cable customer service !!

I hate Memphis TWC but I still use them for RoadRunner. If CenturyTel DSL was faster, I'd switch and cut all ties to TWC.

Why can't you switch to satellite?

-Robert

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Robert.....

I have 6 TV's in our house and I understand it would take alot of hardware and expense to connect all of them up to be able to watch different channels. Also, my wife is not crazy about having dishes on the roof of our house.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
dre,

Before you decicde you cant go Sat. check to see how many times a day all 6 of your TVs are actually on a different channel and someone watching them.

With D* you would have only one dish on roof.........with E* you would need two for all HD channels........

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
We have three TV's and a tuner card for the PC. I feed the HDTV signals directly from the two sat receivers for picture quality. The rest of the TV's get a signal through a channel modulator. Any TV in the house can view both sat receivers, the VCR and the DVD player (as soon as I finish the wiring). All of the remote controls work through IR targets and emitters connected to the modulators. Long term plans include modulating a security camera and at least one computer.

This way I'm only paying for 1 extra sat receiver. It was a little more money up front but my wife loves the ability to watch a DVD in the bedroom. I always tell her the advantages of new gadgets and then sneak a little extra in. She'll be surprised when I start surfing the net while sitting in bed.

My dish is less conspicuous than the attic vents on the roof. I mounted it at the back of the house on the facia board at the edge of the roof. You can't see it from the road or in the driveway. When you do see it, you don't see wires running everywhere. I run them under the eve, directly into the attic. It was a little more work but well worth it.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Has anyone noticed a loss of PQ on Memphis Staions?? Some of the HD material looks soft..........It was much better than HBO and Show HD off D*, but here lately the D* stuff looks better...........

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am about to make the big leap into the HDTV world. I have been doing a good bit of research on the actual TV but am lacking on what is needed to get reception. I was hoping you fellow Memphians could help.

I am about to purchase the 60" Grand Wega XBR and the Sony HD-200. I already have the oval dish for local channels and, from what I understand, that can be used for DirecTV HDTV. What do I need to get the local HD? Do I need an antenna to install in the attic? (That is what my wife would prefer) If you guys have a preference on a specific brand and type please let me know. Thanks in advance for any info.

Chris

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:
I already have the oval dish for local channels and, from what I understand, that can be used for DirecTV HDTV.

This dish was required for locals until Dec. 27, '01 when Memphis locals moved to transponder 4 of the spot beam sat located at 101. Yes it will work for HBO HD and HD-Net. You will need a Sat-C kit for Showtime. Order it from DirecTV for under $9 and they will ship it FedEx from DirecTV warehouse #3 on Holmes Rd. If you have a dish with an integrated switch, it will take about 5 minutes to install it. If you have a switch on the back of your dish, it may take 10 minutes to run the cables through the dish arm.

Quote:
Do I need an antenna to install in the attic?

You need to have an antenna installed somewhere. The attic will work. I'm using a Radio Shack Double Bow Tie that I picked up for $5. It works pretty good but I need to get it up in the attic so it can see over a slight hill in the back yard. I'm about 6 miles from the state line on the Southaven/OB border so that puts me around 20 miles from the tower.

Quote:
If you guys have a preference on a specific brand and type please let me know.

If you can't get the Rat Shack, look at Channel Master UHF models.

-Robert

·
Registered
176 Posts
Robert,

Thanks for your help. I don't mind paying extra for a really good OTA antenna but I just don't know what is good and what will fit in the attic.

Also, Who do you deal with in the Memphis area for AV products. I have talked to Giant TV, Berclair, and Video Station. In fact a guy from Video Station is coming out today to start installation on my audio system. Thanks again.

Chris

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
From what I've read here, the Channel Master products are really good. If my antenna doesn't work in the attic, I'll be upgrading to one of the ones I linked to.

I bought my TV from Dilday at Winchester and Hacks Cross and my HD receiver and DVD from Best Buy on Winchester. Everything else, I've picked up here and there. I build my own speakers and subs and I have wired my entire house for video. I really picky about my stuff and wouldn't even let Dilday connect anything when they delivered the TV.

-Robert

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, guys. New here.

I tried to get an open box Hughes E86 at BB, but they wouldn't let me w/o sigining up for DirecTV service. I ended up getting the Samsung SRT151. Anyone know what I need to do to get the E86, if anything?

Now: (what u see between quotes is what I already posted on the ilovehdtv forums, but I was glad to find an active thread here of Memphis area users).

"Just got my Mitsu 55311. Haven't done anything on it as far as tuning (not even Avia. Did rent Video Essentials, but haven't done it.) I just wanted to see if I could get an HDTV signal.

Using the Samsung SRT151, trying to watch channel 28, LSU vs. ARK. I was getting a signal (about 60%, I would say, all lines were yellow...) with a simple rabbit ear. The Mitsu aspect was set on Standard, and the aspect on the Samsung HDTV receiver was on full, but I was still getting bars on each side. I thought HDTV would fill the screen, so I wasn't convinced I was watching HTDV feed. The pic was bad, even though when they were showing the fans in the stands, I could see how it could look really nice if the tv was set up right... The manual switch in the back of the SRT151 was set to digital 1080i...

Was I seeing bad HTDV? I can't really, right, cause you either see beauty or nothing, right?

Thanks"

Anyone saw this game in HDTV? What suggestions can u give me?

Thank you lots,

Radu

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Radu,

One of the first and most disappointing things you will find about HD, it that not all of the programing on the HD staions are in HD.

Although CBS(28) is usually very good about throwing the switch others in our veiwing area are not(you know who you are) and this can cause problems...........The networks will be sending HiDef and the locals will still be sending the SD feed.............

I didnt see the game myself, but I think if you have to ask yourself "is this HD" then it wasnt. You WILL know when it is.............

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
It was upconverted SD for the Arkansas/LSU game. I even called the station but no one was home. I was really looking forward to seeing the Hogs in HD. Hopefully someone will remember to throw the switch during the SEC championship game.

The Georgia/GT game on Saturday looked great.

-Robert

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by radu
... Using the Samsung SRT151, trying to watch channel 28, LSU vs. ARK....

Anyone saw this game in HDTV?

I watched the game on CBS KTHV 11-1 in Little Rock.

Most of that game was in widescreen, 16:9 format HD, but not very good quality. Some cameras they used and some replays were not HD, they were upconverts.

I was very disappointed in the consisitency of the PQ, especially after the local CBS affiliate made such a big deal about the game being in HD . The station even had an HD party at one of the local shopping malls.

The Arkansas/LSU football game on CBS was nowhere near the quality of most sports shown on HDnet.

21 - 40 of 6093 Posts