AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 6093 Posts

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Southerncentralrain2
... What do I need to get the local HD? Do I need an antenna to install in the attic?...

You should be able to use the Channel Master 4221 , since all your locals are UHF.

It may work fine in the attic. If not, you'll have to install it on the roof.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, guys. I liked the "if yo have to wonder if it's HD, then it's not" comment. I definitely wasn't watching HD feed.

Crossing Jordan was pretty awesome yesterday. Leno was amazing. First time I get to see Leno in HD.

Anyone know what scan resolutions channels 25, 28, and 52 broadcast in?

Alias was horrible on ABC Sat or Sun night, can't remember which. Stretched and ugly.

On all of the real HD feeds, the picture is really dark. When commercials, this is not a proble. Do u any of you own Mitsubishis? What should I set the brightness/contrast to on my 55311?

Thanks,

Radu

·
Registered
59 Posts
hi, again.

I am very, very curious to find out what the basic settings (especially brighntess/contrast) are on your sets, especially Mitsubishi set owners, and especially Memphis-area watchers. All of the shows I have watched (except for maybe Leno), like drama or sitcoms are dark or very dark... Can it be the cables? I am using the cables that came with the Samsung SRT151, and using the DTV input in the back of the TV...

Thank you,

Radu

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:
I am very, very curious to find out what the basic settings (especially brighntess/contrast) are on your sets, especially Mitsubishi set owners,

It will vary by manufacturer, model and sometimes even the set but I'll give it a shot. On my WS-55411:

contrast: @35%

brightness: @50%

sharpness: 0%

SVM: off

pic temp: 6500K

some other setting I can't remember the name off: off

red: 25% (480i inputs only)

magenta: 25%(480i inputs only)

rest of colors: 50% (factory setting)

I used Video Essentials to get these settings. My overscan is not set correctly at 5% and I'm really thinking about becoming a paid member at The Spot so I can get to the Mitsu tweaks information.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Has anyone noticed that on all stations, except CBS, the SD feeds are very bad.....??

Does anyone know what the staions are transmitting when not HD material??...............ie are they upconveritng everything to 1080i/720p or are they just passing it through as 480i.

I would like to believe that my e86 does a better job of upconvering than what I am seeing......................except for CBS.....

To me, they are almost DVD quality when broadcasting SD. I think NBC is the worst, always forgeting to switch to HD, and I get a partial stretch, that only fills about 90% of my screen.

Sorry guys, this started out as a question, and turned into a rant, but any info will be helpful

Robert I noticed that you were looking for Mits tweaks.......have you tried Kenohi HDTV??

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I always forget about Kehoi. I'm talking about the service menu and opening up the box and manually focusing each CRT type tweaks. Everything short of the ISF calibration since I don't have the equipment to set the proper gray scale level. I'm trying to convince my wife to let Gregg Loewen (sp?) calibrate it the next time he is in the area.

-Robert

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by dirk1843
... Does anyone know what the staions are transmitting when not HD material??...............ie are they upconveritng everything to 1080i/720p or are they just passing it through as 480i.

I would like to believe that my e86 does a better job of upconvering than what I am seeing......................except for CBS.....

To me, they are almost DVD quality when broadcasting SD. I think NBC is the worst, always forgeting to switch to HD, and I get a partial stretch, that only fills about 90% of my screen.

Every station is different. Some are broadcasting SD programming in 480p, 720p or 1080i. Others are using 480i.

If your station fogets to "throw the HD switch" (our CBS affiliate in LR is bad about that on weekends), try to contact them by phone or email. Politely let them know they need to be more attentive.

At least your NBC station is doing HD. KARK in Little Rock is only doing "lip service" digital. Very low power UHF station and 480i only. No NBC-HD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After reading all of your posts, I decided to get the SIR-T151.

Many thanks for all the tips and advice on HD in the Memphis area.

Last night I was able to receive all stations except FOX.

I remember reading that they had some problems with their equipment a couple months back.

Does anyone know if they transmit 24x7 or only during primetime?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
As far as I know, Fox digital is still broken. I try every once in a while during primetime and get nothing.

-Robert

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
You can contact the station at their web site: http://www.fox13whbq.com

Click on "Inside FOX 13"

Click "Community Affairs"

Select "Talk to FOX 13 Programming" from the drop down list in the form.

Or call them at 901 320-1313 and ask them if their digital station is on the air.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks arxaw...I will contact them.

FOX is not really on my priorities list right now, but if they are up

I will watch occasionally.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242
As far as I know, Fox digital is still broken. I try every once in a while during primetime and get nothing.

-Robert

I don't know if this info is still accurate but I spoke with their engineer a few months ago and, at that time, they were broadcasting 24X7 but with very low power. The antenna is located on top of their 2/3 story facility located on South Highland. It's the thing that looks like a sailboat mast when you drive by.

They did get blasted during a thunderstorm but that was supposedly fixed soon after. He emailed me to check reception and I couldn't get the station. He said that, as far as he knew, no one could receive them because of the low antenna height and low power.

He also stated that they would be moving the antenna out by Whitten later next year... I wouldn't expect much until then...

Dan

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
We are transmitting a DTV signal on channel 53. Our transmitter was down for a few weeks in May and June, but has been back for some time. It is a low-power station, and is predicted to cover only the city of Memphis. Once some tower modifications can be made, we should be able to move the antenna to a higher elevation, which should improve the signal coverage. I don't have a definite date when that will happen, but I'd be glad to keep you informed of the progress.

this from an email from Fox 13 from 10/25/02.

·
Registered
247 Posts
As for FOX, I live 11 miles from the transmitter antenna on Highland St.

I can't get it either... Maybe when they move the antenna up higher...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

Whilst I can really nice epictures from CBS, NBC and ABC using an omnidirectional powered Toshiba antenna, I can never get FOX. I called them but these said they are currently up and running. Has anyone got FOX in HD recently?

Also I was watching 'The Practice' last night (12/8) but could only get the main channel L & R digital audio. No center channel i.e. no voices! Pretty surreal but did anyone else have this problem or was it just an error intepreting the signal by my ACT3 surround processor?

Thanks

(Newbie who found the site by accident but took all of the good advice to get my Pana from Visual Apex. Great job guys!)

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ppotter
Hi ... I called them but these said they are currently up and running. Has anyone got FOX in HD recently?...

You'd have to live a couple of blocks away from them in the Memphis State area to have any chance of receiving them. I don't know of anyone who can pick them up.

By the way, FOX doesn't broadcast HD, just their SD widescreen...

All the Best,

Dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Robert, thanks. What is your color setting?

I just did the Sound and Vision HTT: The contrast and brightness are about where I had set them (about 30% and 50%, respectively). In the color and tint section, I had to take the color high in order to match the squares while looking through the blue filter. Then I had to take it down in the next section red push section...

The Sat. night SEC championship game looked great from the top camera (live shots during live plays). When they would switch to a ground camera for example, the faces of the players were very dark, sometimes the shadow part of the face was completely black. Has anyone else experienced this?

I ran the SVHTT DVD on the DTV input where my HDTV STB box goes into. I also ran it on Component 1 where I have my DVD player. The DVD movies look pretty great...

Question to everyone: after you have tweaked your brightness and contrast settings with any of the tools (Avia, VE, etc.), is your picture in shows like Robbery Homicide Division, The District, really dark to where sometimes you only see onse side of the face of a person (the not-in-the-shadow side) or to where a black (or dark color) suit is so black that you can't tell anything about it except for where it begins or where it ends (the outline)? Yes, I know about director's intent, but this is too much...

WHat could it be? Cables? STB? TV? Local (Memphis) network affiliates? Or is that the hay it is always going to be, and I just have to live with it? How do you guys see it? Robert, I know you have a Mits.. What can you tell me?

Thank you,

Radu

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:
Robert, thanks. What is your color setting?

I'm at work and don't really remember. I can check it this afternoon.

Quote:
When they would switch to a ground camera for example, the faces of the players were very dark, sometimes the shadow part of the face was completely black.

I only watched half of the first quarter in HD. Had to go to a Christmas party. During that time, I did not notice this. The picture looked great. Too bad the Hogs sucked.

Quote:
Question to everyone: after you have tweaked your brightness and contrast settings with any of the tools (Avia, VE, etc.), is your picture in shows like Robbery Homicide Division, The District, really dark to where sometimes you only see onse side of the face of a person (the not-in-the-shadow side) or to where a black (or dark color) suit is so black that you can't tell anything about it except for where it begins or where it ends (the outline)? Yes, I know about director's intent, but this is too much...

I used to get this a lot with RHD but it's much better since my last tweaking session. I think I just needed some practice with VE. I don't watch The District so I can't comment.

Quote:
WHat could it be? Cables? STB? TV? Local (Memphis) network affiliates?

I'm using the cables that came with my E-86. They seem to work OK. I will upgrade when I move the STB into the theater room and send the video about 35 feet back to the living room. I don't think it's the STB or TV. If it was the station or network we would all be complaining. Try tweaking it again. I sat down and listened to the VE guy as he explained each setting before changing anything.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In response to ppotter who is having trouble getting more than 2 channels from ATSC OTA, to the best of my memory I cant remember ever getting 5.1 from OTA from Memphis yet.........I think it must be the memphis stations, as others on this forum speak of 2.0 to 5.1 on ABC,NBC,CBS etc at differnt times and with differnt programs.

I really apprecitae the high quality pictures I am recieving, but I will be glad when all stations get the bug worked out, and ATSC becomes a dependable medium for broadcast.

41 - 60 of 6093 Posts