AVS Forum banner

6081 - 6093 of 6093 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Interesting you can get Jonesboro but not Memphis. But a couple notes
-KAIT (Jonesboro) is ABC on 8-1 and NBC on 8-2 so if you get KAIT you'll get both ABC & NBC. WMC is on VHF 5 (lo VHF) which most indoor antennas wont get. Rabbit ear type will but since KAIT NBC is pretty much WMC but Jonesboro news (KAIT and WMC are owned by same people) you should be OK
-FOX Memphis is on VHF (VHF13) and CBS is on UHF (RF28 but maps to 3-1). Those Mohu antennas are usually UHF only so the fact you are getting 2 VHF stations (much less one pretty far away) must have to do with the height you are at.

Looks like the Memphis towers are east of the city so that might be why you are having some issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I believe I have solved my problem with the interference on Memphis local CBS. Through the process of trying everything, I've found that if I have the channel on CBS and unplug the amplifier for about 5 seconds and plug it back in the interference is gone and its crystal clear. It will stay clear until I change the channel and when I come back to CBS there is interference again. Weird? All the other channels are fine though. And yes, the ABC and NBC are both KAIT in Arkansas but that's fine because they have the same programming Memphis has (other than the local news). So, basically if I want to watch something on CBS I need to plug the amplifier in again and just leave it on CBS. That's fine with me. Not too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I believe I have solved my problem with the interference on Memphis local CBS. Through the process of trying everything, I've found that if I have the channel on CBS and unplug the amplifier for about 5 seconds and plug it back in the interference is gone and its crystal clear. It will stay clear until I change the channel and when I come back to CBS there is interference again. Weird? All the other channels are fine though. And yes, the ABC and NBC are both KAIT in Arkansas but that's fine because they have the same programming Memphis has (other than the local news). So, basically if I want to watch something on CBS I need to plug the amplifier in again and just leave it on CBS. That's fine with me. Not too much of a hassle.
That description makes me think the amplifier may be hurting as much as it is helping. Being on the 9th floor, you have plenty of elevation! . If your TVFOOL report looks somewhat like this:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=60edf9618cb145

I'm curious if your reception would improve, be more reliable, using an antenna that has no amplifier at all. (Not just unplugged.) One like the old-school style of rabbit ear antenna with the loop and the pull-up rods. Could be worth a the few bucks to try it as an experiment.

Kelly

·
Registered
4 Posts
WMC-TV OTA Problem

I've noticed the past couple of weeks WMC-TV 5.1 having lots of signal dropouts. I'm seeing steady state signal @ 80 (out of 100) and then suddenly I'll get a dropout. Doesn't last but for a split second, just enough to cause me heartburn and my wife to complain. It's happening on all of my TV's and all other channels are fine. I am 5½ miles from the XMTR and the antenna is pointed directly on the heading using an old 5 element FM, (yeah I know it's not properly tuned, but consider then distance.)

Anybody else having this trouble or have any suggestions I may not have thought about.

KC
Update 01-30/2018

WMC OTA is getting unwatchable. Anyone else having an issue?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Update 01-30/2018

WMC OTA is getting unwatchable. Anyone else having an issue?
I'm in the Medical Center area a and behind tall buildings which block me from every full power transmitter site and make OTA TV challenging. I have seen no change in ch5 however.

I struggle the most with the 2 low power DTV America signals KPMF-LD and WQEK-LD. Not that anything is on either of the signals that is worth watching.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Not Memphis but since there isnt a separate Jackson, TN thread

NBC WNBJ-LD adds CW to 39.2

http://www.wnbjtv.com/single-post/2018/08/06/WNBJ-launches-West-Tennessees-CW-39
For weeks, WNBJ has been promising something big for Jackson. Channel 39.2 becomes West Tennessee's CW 39 -- one of the country's newest affiliates of The CW television network.

Viewers can dare to defy as comic book adventures come to life with "Supergirl", "The Flash" and even "Riverdale". The long-running "Supernatural" comes back later this year for its 14th season. The reboot of the classic primetime drama "Dynasty" returns for its second season. And, in mid-October, The CW primetime expands to six nights a week with a Sunday lineup.

WNBJ's 39 News offers a primetime newscast at 9 on CW39. Please visit www.wnbjtv.com/cw39 for more details.

WNBJ Channel 39 broadcasts on channel 39.1 and 39.2, and can be seen on JEA Cable Channels 4/204 and Spectrum Cable on channels 15/715.

https://www.facebook.com/wnbj39/posts/1373097059487442
WNBJ NBC 39 is bringing another exciting local network television affiliate to the Jackson area. WNBJ is launching West Tennessee’s CW 39. The station is broadcasting on 39.2 over the air and can be seen on JEA Cable and will be available on Spectrum.

“We’re excited to bring another local television station to our viewers, businesses and community,” says WNBJ General Manager Peter Noll. “Being local is very important to our company and this brings greater opportunities to West Tennessee.”

CW 39 will carry all the popular primetime CW series including Riverdale, The Flash, Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning. CW 39 will also be a part of The CW’s launch of Sunday night programming this Fall, with Supergirl and the series premiere of the new Charmed.

“We are excited to add WNBJ to the CW family,” said CW Executive Vice President of Network Distribution, Chris Brooks.” “With our upcoming Sunday night expansion, WNBJ and The CW are both poised for growth in the years ahead.”

39 News which currently airs on NBC 39 weeknights at 6 and 10 will add an additional newscast weeknights at 9 on CW 39. This will be West Tennessee’s only local newscast focused on the Jackson area. 39 News at 9 will include the popular news series “Made In Tennessee,” spotlighting the great products and services made in the local area.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Not Memphis but since there isnt a separate Jackson, TN thread

I read that Bahakel upgraded WBBJ-DT3 CBS (7.3) to HD (it was 480i widescreen) recently. This is good for the OTA only folks

·
Registered
17,351 Posts
Can anyone confirm that WPXX has moved to its new channel?

- Trip

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone receive WQEK-LD (ch. 36)? TVFool says I should be able to receive it, but I've scanned for it and get nothing. I'm using an Antennas Direct ClearStream2 mounted in my third floor attic, and live in Poplar Ridge, so I'm about 10 miles from their tower. Have they gone dark?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have noticed on the 24 and 30 the locally produced commercials and PSA's have a clipping sound in the audio.

Anyone notice it and have any idea what it is?

6081 - 6093 of 6093 Posts