AVS Forum banner

6101 - 6118 of 6118 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
WATN has added the .4 subchannel to their stream and there is a still up saying Twist will begin Monday, April 5th. And the occasional video promo. Probably a loop.

Hopefully they will have something worth watching, because the Tennessee Legislature is hogging 10.2. They sually start about 0830 and sometimes go as late as 2000.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Hopefully they will have something worth watching, because the Tennessee Legislature is hogging 10.2. They sually start about 0830 and sometimes go as late as 2000.
Schedule and website

·
Registered
27 Posts
WMC changing channel
I found this, of all places, on the Nashville DTV News site.
"Also, for everyone that lives on the west side of Middle TN, WMC 5, the NBC affiliate in Memphis, has applied to change channels. They have been broadcasting on low VHF channel 5 ever since 2009. Their viewers have been experiencing difficulty receiving the channel. They will now be changing to channel 30 and broadcasting at 515kw. Until more news breaks, that's all for now."
I think it's a shame to learn something like that on a site about a different city.

EDIT:
Per the reminder from Trip, WMC has applied to change to channel 30.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
They have applied for it, but it has not yet been approved by the FCC.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Back in the old days weren’t they 52 on the ATSC channel? I never understood why the went with 5. I get the name recognition but in the age of virtual channels does it even matter?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Back in the old days weren’t they 52 on the ATSC channel? I never understood why the went with 5. I get the name recognition but in the age of virtual channels does it even matter

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
RF 52-69 were eliminated with the DTV transition in 2009, and it was already known by 1998 that those RF numbers would be going away, so anyone who had a transitional signal in that range knew they would have to move back down after the transition was over.

Many stations chose to go back to their analog number because it let them reuse the same antenna and minimized the work needed to complete the transition. WMC is actually using the same RCA antenna they've been using since the analog era.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Back in the old days weren’t they 52 on the ATSC channel?
yes
I never understood why the went with 5. I get the name recognition but in the age of virtual channels does it even matter
They had to move off 52 as 52-69 was phased out in 2009. According to documents they (WMC) reused the analog 5 antenna

The 52 antenna was at a different location than the analog 5 antenna was

To avoid the loss of digital service to the Station’s community, the Station intends to bring the Channel 5 DTV post-transition DTV operation online nearly simultaneously with the Station’s shutdown of its analog Channel 5 and pre-transition DTV Channel 52 facilities. The Station has determined, however, that it is not reasonably possible to simultaneously remove the Channel 52 antenna and transmission line at the interim site and install the new Channel 5 equipment if the facilities are to occupy the same position on the same tower.
The Station has determined that it could avoid loss of service and complete construction most efficiently by discontinuing Channel 52 service at the interim site and launching Channel 5 DTV service − using the existing Channel 5 antenna and transmission line − at the existing Channel 5 site.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
yes

They had to move off 52 as 52-69 was phased out in 2009. According to documents they (WMC) reused the analog 5 antenna

The 52 antenna was at a different location than the analog 5 antenna was

To avoid the loss of digital service to the Station’s community, the Station intends to bring the Channel 5 DTV post-transition DTV operation online nearly simultaneously with the Station’s shutdown of its analog Channel 5 and pre-transition DTV Channel 52 facilities. The Station has determined, however, that it is not reasonably possible to simultaneously remove the Channel 52 antenna and transmission line at the interim site and install the new Channel 5 equipment if the facilities are to occupy the same position on the same tower.
The Station has determined that it could avoid loss of service and complete construction most efficiently by discontinuing Channel 52 service at the interim site and launching Channel 5 DTV service − using the existing Channel 5 antenna and transmission line − at the existing Channel 5 site.
I am 150 miles west of their tower, and had my Quantum pointed at Memphis when they made the switch from 5 analog to 5 digital. Apparently, when they swapped over, they were still running the full analog power, because for about 15 minutes, I could get the digital signal, then it disappeared, and I havent picked it up since. I can get several of the UHF stations, however.

Channel 30 is a very poor choice, as our Fox station runs full power on on channel 30, and there will be considerable tropo interference on the west side of their DMA I am afraid. I used to easily pick up channel 30 from Little Rock in Blytheville with a decent antenna.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Back in the old days weren’t they ...
When I first read those words, I went back to when WMC broadcast on Channel 4 as WMCT. In the early years of TV, the FCC didn't fully understand just how far a TV signal could travel under certain atmospheric conditions. When WSM-TV went on the air in Nashville on Channel 4, the two stations would interfer with each other. In 1952 WMCT moved to Channel 5, only to have WLAC in Nashville star transmitting on Channel 5 two years later. I've never understood why it was WMCT that moved; seems like the "Johnny come lately" WSM would have been the one to move.

That happens when you get old.
Channel 30 is a very poor choice ...
When it comes to finding a TV channel today, I doubt there are many, if any, good choices remaining. The reduced number of available channels (63%* fewer) today only exacerbates the "short spacing" issues I mentioned above. It will almost certainly be an issue when WMC lights up on 30.

I readily admit that given my age, I gave up on really understanding DTV transmission, so I'm pretty well stuck in the analog world. But in addition to the co-channel interference from "short spacing", I think there are adjacent-channel issues from current policies; i.e. WREG transmits on 28 and WKNO transmits on 29. Their antenna's elevations differ by roughly 20-25 feet and the transmitters are only about 2 miles apart! How can they not interfere with each other?

The channel sharing of ATSC 3 may provide some relief regarding spectrum, but as we saw with the change to digital TV broadcasting, we won't know all the inherent problems until we get there.

EDIT: The 63% discounts Channel 37 from the original 70 UHF channels. It also discounts channels 2 thru 6 because of the inherent problems with digital modulation.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I readily admit that given my age, I gave up on really understanding DTV transmission, so I'm pretty well stuck in the analog world. But in addition to the co-channel interference from "short spacing", I think there are adjacent-channel issues from current policies; i.e. WREG tran0smits on 28 and WKNO transmits on 29. Their antenna's elevations differ by roughly 20-25 feet and the transmitters are only about 2 miles apart! How can they not interfere with each other?
as long as the transmitters are within a specific distance (within 11 miles I think) you can have adjacent stations. Where I am (Minneapolis, MN) we have stations on 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 & 36. Full power on 29,30,32,34,35 on same towers. 31, 33 & 36 are low powered about 10 miles away.

We also have low powered stations at 14 & 15 with full power on 16 and 20, 21,22 and 23 (20 & 21 low powered and 22 & 23 full powered)

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
I had to explain adjacency to someone recently, and here's what I said:

The issue is an issue of differences. Two stations on channels 11 and 12 can be on the same tower because at the receiver, they look to be about the same strength, and therefore the receiver can easily tell them apart. Start moving them apart, however, and suddenly one signal will look stronger than the other. Once they're different by more than 26 or 28 dB (depending on upper or lower adjacent), the receiver suddenly gets only the strong signal--the weak one is swamped by the strong one as the receiver can't pick the weaker one out. If that discrepancy happens to fall over an unpopulated area, you're fine, but if it's in a heavily populated area, it's going to show huge interference numbers.

- Trip

Reactions: julesism

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trip posted just before I finished what follows. He stated it far better than I could. My post remains as I composed it.

RF issues at a co-location site would be "relatively easy" to mitigate. The "easiest" would be those using a common antenna. (I define the quoted terms as readily identifiable and that technology is available to reduce undesirable effects.) It's possible that digital modulation is so different from analog that digital doesn't mix, but RF is RF, so experience makes me doubt it.

That addresses problems at the transmitting end but we are at the receiving end. Software Defined Radios replaces most of the hardware in a radio with software and I believe that TV receivers today are software defined. Notch filters can be used on SDRs to remove interfering signals and they work very well. But identifying interfering signals at and adding notch filters to individual receivers isn't worth it.

I don't remember LPTV having any interference protection from full-power stations, while the full-powers are protected from LP interference. Always sounded like the proverbial rock and a hard place to me.

Assuming the FCC grants WMC's request, WKNO will end up bracketed by adjacent channel transmitters.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Assuming the FCC grants WMC's request, WKNO will end up bracketed by adjacent channel transmitters.
so will WMC and WLMT (CW)

28 WREG
29 WKNO
30 WMC (if approved...right now a low powered station occupies 30)
31 WLMT

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Personally, if I was them, I would have picked channel 11, no other 11's I know of in 200 miles, and VHF hi gets out great in this part of the country. Oh well, I see there is a 11 in Tupelo. Guess VHF Hi is full in Memphis. The map for channel 30 looks like there is no way the Memphis and Little Rock could interfere with each other. Perhaps not, since the antennas today are pretty good at F/B.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Most of these "rulemaking" applications are to move to UHF so they are on par coverage wise as the other Big 4 in the market. While VHF can get out pretty far, indoor antennas and their non existent VHF elements are why Sinclair, Tegna and Gray are moving their Big 4 off of VHF if they can.

Here in Minneapolis ABC, CBS and FOX are on UHF at 1 million watts. NBC is on VHF High. They were one of the first to get a rulemaking rule approved to move from VHF 11 to UHF 31.

6101 - 6118 of 6118 Posts