AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My rs40 was out of warranty when it would not start up even with a new bulb. Sent it to Mendtronix and got the pj back within a couple of weeks (I don't recall the exact time period but it wasn't long) and everything has been working fine since. The front ir was also repaired. Great communication. I thought everything went as smooth as I could have hoped for. Now hopefully I can hold out for the next big thing in jvc pj's whatever that might be.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I've sent two different projectors in to Mendtronix. One was an JVC DLA-X500 and another was an older InFocus DLP projector. Both times were very pleasant experiences. I had both projectors back within a month including shipping to and from their repair facility.

·
Registered
353 Posts
How much is the charge for the evaluation fee for out of warranty projectors? I couldn't find it on the site.

Nevermind, I found it.

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Case replacement which was damaged by the lab or UPS.

1/23: Sent the projector on their dime via UPS on Monday
1/25: Projector received and evaluation process started. Last time, it was a couple days before they started the evaluation process. One would assume since the repairs are due to them or their agent, they are moving the process of the case replacement through quickly. (or at least it's wishful thinking on my part ;) ).

I'll update the progress of the claim, so we can have a track record of their performance for other members.

Ron

PS: One item to add to this thread. You can request they use the JVC box for return shipping. Obviously, their box leaves a lot to be desired (hence the damage to the projector case). I know that when I ship it next time (in a couple years when I sell it), I buy a better box for shipping to a new owner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One would assume since the repairs are due to them or their agent, they are moving the process of the case replacement through quickly. (or at least it's wishful thinking on my part ;) ).
My projector's been in the repair queue a full week after its backordered part arrived (they advertise 2-3 days) so maybe your job cut in line? ;)

Looks like a fifth weekend without the big screen. :(

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
3/3 Ordered the following replacement parts after damage to the case during the warranty repair:Bottom Cover, Top Cabinet, Rear panel, Side Panel and “Punching metal”. Even though the damage was to the (near) rear corner....glad they seem to be covering all aspects of the case. I would hope I'd have the projector back by the 13th of March.

Ron

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, I received my projector back today with thr case repaired from the first service performed by mendtronix. Guess what it's worst than when I first sent it in....I'll just copy and paste the email I just sent my service rep:

I hooked up the projector tonight. I could not get it to sync with my lumagen scaler. But, the major issue I now have is a reoccurring line that shows up on the left side of the image about 1/3 from the left side. It will appear periodically. I've checked several blu rays to verify it's the projector, along with switching out cables too. This is really unacceptable. When it gets sent in for a third time. I will most likely be without the use of my projector for 9-10 weeks (pending the length of this repair) since I first sent it to Mendtronix on January 7th. I've never had an issue with a line since I've owned the projector. Nor did it show up when I received the projector back for replacement of the power assembly. So this repair can only be tied to the work done when the case was replaced on this last repair. To have to send the projector back a second time due to issues created by mendrontix is beyond frustration. One should expect the projector to come back better not worst then when it was sent in. Before I ship the projector back I would like to know a timeline for repair or replacement of the projector. I would also like to have my case/repair fast tracked to limit the continued downtime that I have already experienced (now due to a second issue caused by Mendtronix).

Thoughts and opinions? I'm also going to call jvc to let them know about my issues. They are ultimately responsible to using mendtronix. At this point, I've lost confidence they can do the job with 100% satisfaction

Ron

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Omg Ron, I would be beyond pissed. I think your letter is perfectly written short of asking for a new projector/B-stock from JVC which in my opinion you are entitled to after all this (assuming that you have a current model). This is too much shipping for an item this sensitive.

I will echo not only did mendtronix use my original box, they double boxed as requested by me.

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Omg Ron, I would be beyond pissed. I think your letter is perfectly written short of asking for a new projector/B-stock from JVC which in my opinion you are entitled to after all this (assuming that you have a current model). This is too much shipping for an item this sensitive.

I will echo not only did mendtronix use my original box, they double boxed as requested by me.
I just got off the phone with jvc. As you can imagine I went through the whole story and what did they come up with ....have I updated my firmware and trouble shooting tips. I explained that I am aware of those things and have done the necessary testing. So their response was to say the only option that they have is the "warranty" which means send it back. That's all they "can" do, which is code for that's all they chose to do.

I used to be a big fan of arcam's sound....but their products were so fricking buggy and their attitude was terrible...that I have not bought nor will I purchase another unit from them.

JVC maybe going the way of Arcam for me. I'm not trying to be Ralph Nader, but would expect an 8k projector and follow up service to function normally. If I send this unit back next week...it's most likely I would not have had use of the projector for 3 months of thr first 15 months of ownership

Ron

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
check into lemon law in your state!

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Ron, who is your dealer? They should be the ones dealing with the repair process and I would imagine have more pull with JVC. Your dealer should be the one fighting for a new unit if it arrived faulty. How long did you have the unit before it started acting up? There is a time frame where a new unit replacement is the course of action.

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
check into lemon law in your state!
Today the green line is not present after powering it up this morning. It did have issues syncing, but after a couple of attempts of turning lumagen on and off plus a few other tweaks. I am able to get an image without a green line. I will wait to send it I when the green line is consistent over a stretch of days. I would assume a part is ready to go and I'll wait it to fail to guarantee they can see what I am seeing. When jvc does call back I am going to ask for a replacement box and packing material for future shipping.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I got my RS6710 from AVS in December 2014. On 3-11-15 the bulb failed to light after about 650-700 hours of use. Replacing the lamp did not fix it. I suspect a bulb power supply or related circuitry failure.

Mike Garrett answered by email promptly and after usual business hours. He sent info regarding the Mendtronix repair process. I used a thick cardboard very sturdy box for an amp I got a couple of years ago (unfortunately, I used the AVS-sent JVC boxes with the sale of my old RS35) with very solid styrofoam inserts shaved a bit to secure the projector and bought another box from UPS for $10 and made a peanut styrofoam layer for my internal box. I paid $105 for shipping and insurance, and sent it 3-13-2015. It's supposed to be at the Mendtronix Poway (near San Diego) center today.

I will contact my account rep to ask if they could use a double box to send it back, perhaps using my materials for the inner box. Judging by their statements in their instructions about not using old boxes to ship equipment to more safely ship - ironic given what happened to Ron - they'll likely not do so.

Updates to follow. Hope I'm not posting into late April-early May and beyond.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Updates to follow. Hope I'm not posting into late April-early May and beyond.
Good luck - mine was 36 days. Your best chance for a quick turn is if the needed parts are stocked, otherwise you'll wait for that order and then go into the queue again for a tech. I found that both the initial eval as well as the repair queues were each a week+ rather than the 2-3 days they talk about. The balance of my downtime was waiting for a backordered $25 part.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good luck - mine was 36 days. Your best chance for a quick turn is if the needed parts are stocked, otherwise you'll wait for that order and then go into the queue again for a tech. I found that both the initial eval as well as the repair queues were each a week+ rather than the 2-3 days they talk about. The balance of my downtime was waiting for a backordered $25 part.
There's been no change in the status of my RS6710 since it was received on 3-17-2015 at 11:00am. The Mendtronix site says: "Received, Evaluation in Progress."

Maybe I'll be needing that luck.

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There's been no change in the status of my RS6710 since it was received on 3-17-2015 at 11:00am. The Mendtronix site says: "Received, Evaluation in Progress."

Maybe I'll be needing that luck.
That doesn't always mean anything. On my second repair (of the damaged case in shipping from them), it stayed in that "evaluation status" till it was repaired and shipped. Your best line of communication is your assigned national account rep. I know my rep was terrific in communicating quickly with any questions I may have had. I couldn't have been more pleased with level of communication, response time and professionalism. I also know from our conversations, she was handling almost 300 accounts at that time.

Ron

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good news. The part for my JVC RS6710, which had a defective ballast, arrived today and Monique, my customer service rep, informed me that "they have to" install the part once received within 4 days. So, I expect to get a tracking number by next Monday. Obviously I hope the projector makes it's way undamaged from Poway, CA to SLC, UT - usually a 2 day FedEx ground trip.

Monique confirmed that the Mendtronix website is not the best means of getting information about repair status - calling is.

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Good news. The part for my JVC RS6710, a defective ballast, arrived today and Monique, my customer service rep, informed me that "they have to" install the part once received within 4 days. So, I expect to get a tracking number by next Monday. Obviously I hope the projector makes it's way undamaged from Poway, CA to SLC, UT - usually a 2 day FedEx ground trip.

Monique confirmed that the Mendtronix website is not the best means of getting information about repair status - calling is.
Monique is the best....she was my rep too.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bad news. I got the projector back and it lights up fine but there are vertical blue-green lines in the image regardless of input. So, I'll be talking with a technician to discuss the problem tomorrow, maybe, but suspect I'll be sending the projector back for a re-fix. I'm hoping Mendtronix will pick up the $100 plus for shipping and insurance this time.

The questions are, was there something amiss with the quality control/checkout process, or did something get jostled in transit causing the problem?

Ron, I see your concerns about the packing materials used by Mendtronix. The form-fitting foam and box appear lightweight for an item this heavy and sensitive. The box containing my projector had a slight indentation in one of the corners incurred during shipping. Although it didn't appear to impact the projector in my case, I could see how the damage you describe could occur with this packing versus the more heavy box and stiff foam I used to ship it to Poway, CA and that I've seen in just about all previous projectors I've purchased.

Attachments

·
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Bad news. I got the projector back and it lights up fine but there are vertical blue-green lines in the image regardless of input. So, I'll be talking with a technician to discuss the problem tomorrow, maybe, but suspect I'll be sending the projector back for a re-fix. I'm hoping Mendtronix will pick up the $100 plus for shipping and insurance this time.

The questions are, was there something amiss with the quality control/checkout process, or did something get jostled in transit causing the problem?

Ron, I see your concerns about the packing materials used by Mendtronix. The form-fitting foam and box appear lightweight for an item this heavy and sensitive. The box containing my projector had a slight indentation in one of the corners incurred during shipping. Although it didn't appear to impact the projector in my case, I could see how the damage you describe could occur with this packing versus the more heavy box and stiff foam I used to ship it to Poway, CA and that I've seen in just about all previous projectors I've purchased.

That does suck. I do believe it's the boxes and packing being used by Mendtronix. I would also assume, they've calculated the cost of better packing materials vs percentage of projectors that get damaged.

Here's the cynical rub....I would assume, the shipper has blessed the packing materials and boxes as adequate for shipping. I would also guess that Mendtronix doesn't insure the projectors for full replacement value (I think Fedex guy said mine was 3k or 3.5k for the JVC, which would street for 5k-6k range). Unless it's damaged and not lost, most repairs would fall into the insurance claim AGAINST the shipper. Again, I don't think they use substandard materials (other than to save money) to generate additional repairs...but if the projector is damaged, Mendtronix would repair and bill the shipper for the costs of repair. AGAIN, I don't think this is part of their business model, but they do in theory benefit from repairing the projector again and the shipping paying for it.

As far as Mendtronix paying to ship back your projector...the answer is yes, they should provide a return shipping label for you to use. The reason is they are suppose to verify through their 100 pt inspection (last item to be preformed before shipping) to verify you have a back to factory spec on your projector. So, that would mean, the current bad pic happend AFTER they shipped it....which means it's insured by Mendtronix and they work out the issues with the shipper. Take pics of the box to send to your rep...they will need those to show the shipper the possible mishandling of the box/projector (damaged box).

21 - 40 of 60 Posts