AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...

long time, first time...

picked up some new blu-rays last night and tried 'em out, but seem to be having some problems. when i put the discs (Wall-E, Burn After Reading, Lost season 3), the menu music or the intro scenes wouldn't play sound. for Wall-E and Burn After Reading, the sound was working (DolbyHD/DTS MasterHD displayed on my Onkyo) when the actual movie was playing, just not at the main menus. for Lost, there wasn't any sound at all. blu-ray was set to bitstream (audiophile).

i tried going to the main setup page, and switching it to PCM, in which case all played the menu/intro sound, along with the movie, but the receiver didn't capture the DolbyHD/DTS MasterHD signal, obviously because it was being sent as PCM.

is this normal?

also, does this mean that i can either have no intro/menu sound but HD movie audio, or intro/menu sound and the PCM (made-up) HD audio, but not both...?

any help would be great, i'd still consider myself an audio noob...

thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and it should be noted that i'm currently running firmware 1.3, and the BD-UP5000 is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI v1.3 cable.

·
Registered
13,785 Posts
What menu sound you refer to? If you're talking about the menu clicking sound, you're not going to get that with bitstream (audiophile) setting because the player can't mix in additional sound effects into the primary bitstream. However, the menu music should still play because that's what's on the disc. This applies to all BR players. 5k's manual also explained it well.

Most menu music are recorded in DD 2.0 or something like that. I'm not farmiliar with your Onkyo (which model?) so I can't tell you how to configure your AVR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
off hand, i believe it's the Onkyo 605.

almost all my blu-rays/HD-DVDs will play the menu music and the intro (like the generic blu-ray intro before the disc starts, the movie previews, etc.), but the ones i bought yesterday don't seem to. unless i switch it to PCM. i think i've run into this problem once or twice before.

but for Lost, the main feature wouldn't even play via bitstream, i had to switch it to PCM to get any sound.

generally, even in bitstream, the receiver decodes automatically, and outputs either a DD stereo signal for the trailers/previews and the menu music, and then switches to DolbyHD/DTS-MasterHD, depending on the signal...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts