AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not heard anything about the proposed merger between Dishnetwork and DirectTV lately. Anybody heard anything new recently?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Most of the News over the last month or so has been of the Mudslinging variety.

There have been nearly as many new groups for as against the Merger.

The only thing that will count is when the FCC and/or Congress finally settles down to make a decision - and you know how long that takes !

My guess is that the bidding for terrestrial DBS frequencies is the biggest heart-wrenching thing happening these days.

AND, that does not bode well for us DBS users..........

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Nope, no major news

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Things should be very interesting if the merger occurs. D* says they will then offer "at least 12 HDTV channels," and they will update the equipment of all existing HDTV subscribers at no cost. I don't know what they would do for those of us who have built-in D* tuners, such as my RCA F38310.

They plan a new STB with DVI/HDCP, but our existing sets lack this interface. I don't know if my two standard receivers would be replaced.

It seems that a 2-output LNB will be needed for 110W, so D* will have to give us this plus a 6X4 multiswitch. I have not upgraded to receive 110W

because Channel Master tells me the Sat C kit will not work with my CM6902 4X2 multiswitch. I would have to buy a CM6904 ($72) and the Sat C kit. I'm not that impressed with Showtime HD anyway; looks like most of their widescreen offerings are upconverted material. I think I will try to be content with HBO HD, HDNet, CBS, and ABC (plus NBC has some new hi-def shows this Fall), and wait for the free D* update. It will not surprise me at all, however, if AT&T cable adds high def capability via a STB

before D* gets its act together. My local AT&T cable already carries CBS Chicago HDTV (on channel 117) because it is very difficult to receive WBBM Digital Ch 3 OTA in most areas. So the capability is already there whenever

the exact STB they want becomes available. Anyone have any thoughts on these topics?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Even after the Merger DBS will have trouble ever handling (H)DTV. They will struggle to keep up with all the non-Local (H)DTV broadcasts whose numbers will only grow over time. It is doubtful they will ever be able to provide Local (H)DTV channels for everyone. It looks like the best choice for most will be to go back to what most have done for years ->

Cable for local (carrying (H)DTV in the near future) and DBS for all the rest.

The DBS (H)DTV STB's will need to be changed as DVI will become the standard unless various Court Cases and Lawsuits have an effect.

In the (H)DTV forum, here, one can read the anguish from current (H)DTV owners about this seemly never-ending connector debate. Is it really over ?

My guess is that the DBS companies will provide a coupon or discount to current (H)DTV STB owners to upgrade.

There some talk that DBS will lose some of it's Sat locations, because the Government thinks that after the Merger they should be freed up for other purposes.

The funny thing for me is that about the time they get to my LiL (due to skipping over the 46th DMA), all my Local Stations will have their (H)DTV broadcasts up and running and #@$#[email protected]# ComCast Cable will probably have them available. With ComCasts well known record, I wonder just how a Cable company can screw up (H)DTV. If there's a way, they will find it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
it is doubtful they will ever be able to provide Local (H)DTV channels for everyone.
While I have nothing against HD I am totaly anti-LIL. If the merger gets approved I hope Charlie is smart enough to continue to do what theyre doing with CBS. Have the NY feed and the LA feed. I hope he can do this for ABC, NBC, FOX and a National HD feed of PBS.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UncD2000
I have not upgraded to receive 110W because Channel Master tells me the Sat C kit will not work with my CM6902 4X2 multiswitch. I would have to buy a CM6904 ($72) and the Sat C kit.
The CM6902 has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. The CM6904 also has 4 inputs but 4 outputs (two of which would be superfluous in your present setup of 2 IRDs). You do NOT need to buy a new multiswitch to convert to Sat-C operation, and here's why: The Sat-C kit comes with the special Sat-C LNB and a special combiner to piggy-back the Sat-C's signal onto that from the Sat-B LNB before it enters its multiswitch input. In effect it tricks your IRD into accepting several extra transponders on 119! If someone at Channel Master told you otherwise, that someone needs to further familiarize himself with his company's product line.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pardon my ignorance but what is "LiL"

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
In the simplest terms:

LiL is "LOCAL" television stations whose signals are acquired by the DBS companies, converted "IN"-to digital and then are rebroadcast through the satellite systems to "LOCAL" customers.

This is because National feeds do not have Local content (NEWs) or commercials. A rather silly thing the Government wants - considering that local news is starting to disappear from stations around the country.

Currently most DBS customers either get their Local channels Over The Air (OTA) or by paying a relatively high fee for BASIC Cable channels 2-13.

Typically DBS charges 5 or $6 and Cable around 6 to $14 for Locals.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I read in another post on this forum that the E & D receivers will be reprogramed by a software upgrade to work with whatever format that the merged company uses. Hardware will not need to be replaced in most cases.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Actually that's supposed to be under the new specifications for STB's coming out after July. I know that capability is NOT in most of D*'s STB's now. We'll see, then !

I read a while ago that only one D* STB currently has that capability. I can't remember the model number or brand.

Help ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.