AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm kinda looking for confirmation on my design. Simple question: is it worth it for me to feed my Dish PVR into my HTPC then into the TV?

Details: I'm using a bell expressvu 5100 which is pretty much the same as the directv pvr box. There are 2 outputs: regular TV (53" sony xbr thats way old now, s-video and composite in) and a Panasonic ae100 LCD projector (not often used with the dish feed, usually just dvds).

From what I've read capturing the video from a sattelitve feed box to save it on the HTPC is kinda pointless as quality will suffer not to mention the headaches of getting XMLTV integrated with snapstream for canadian sattelite listings and then sending IR codes from the PC to the dish receiver to start and tune it, etc. I'm quite happy with the features and funcationality of the PVR built into the 5100 so feeding it into the HTPC would only be done if there's some gain in quality (unlikely) or ease of use (meaing easier to use PVR or easier to use whole HTPC system with it integrated vs switching).

So I guess what I'm looking at is leaving the dish/pvr feed outside of the loop for regular TV viewing. The HTPC will be the DVD player and general computer stuff (images, games, saved video, music, etc). I think I'll also send a feed from the dish to the HTPC for scaling/tweaking when I want to route it to the projector (not sure if thats worth it yet or if it would even give me a better image, would be for sports mostly).

That said then I just need to worry about the DVD playback stuff (player, scaler, filters, etc), output switching (proper feeding to the TV via s-video and the project via VGA with all the scaling,etc that requires) and the remote based front end (probably myHTPC). Then use my Pronto to control the whole thing.

Sound like the right idea to you guys or have I missed something here?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.