Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Still looking for a PRE/PRO for home theatre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would an old Meridian 565 7.1 Z3 6.2 {fully upraded} match up to a newer OUTLAW/ROTEL/Audio Refinement??????? I know in its time there would be NO contest.

I live in Canada and i tell you my options are limited!! Local store sells ATOll {expensive} Audio Refinement {not bad}{but very lacking options expecially in BASS management}

I want to spend around $1000.00 any other suggestions!!!!

Please comment on Meridian 565 7.1 Z3 6.2

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I'm too tired from struggling to read your message to reply.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I sold an EAD-Ovation for an Outlaw 990.

I like: Digital bass management for SACD/DVD-A.

Dolby Prologic IIx (for music)

The Price new 1137 (shipped)

USB port for my computer

The sound for movies and music is great

Stereo mode is also Digital bass management

Lots of inputs and options

Trigger #2 is assignable

It's as big as a house

I don't like: Level trim on the fly does not default back to original calibration levels

It would be nice to have different filter slopes for xovers

This is picky but my EAD moved volume in half db incriments

You need to have a video monitor to access menues

Level adjustments for each input would be nice

Now these are a few ups and downs.In the end this processor works great for a first run unit.Tech support is A+(phone or internet). I feel that it is worth about 1,800.00 to 2k . The price is a walk away steal.I'm curious what they are working on for software upgrades.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhbay
What you have trouble reading the big words???
No!!!!!!!!! I think??????????????????It had to do with all this stuff!!!!!!!!!!But, I could??????????be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What do you think??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think the OP is being held hostage and his keyboard has only punctuation keys on it. Someone call a grammarian, quick!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hi,

Keep an eye on this thread, if you're interested in reading a long-time user of Meridian 565 switching to an Outlaw 990:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=meridian+565

Jeff has experience with a variety of prepro hardware and should be able to give an unbiased comparison of the two units.

Take your time in your prepro search, there's plenty of brand-new (and used) deals out there.

- Steve O.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
For $1000 CDN, unfortunately your choices are limited to going used or looking at a receiver.

A possible exception is the Emotiva LMC-1 available through AV123. You might just squeak it by under your budget. But wait until there are more reviews and user experience on this new pre/pro.

Take a look at Canuck Audio Mart for used gear.

Many dealers around you will have Anthem, and while the price is better here than in the U.S., you won't find one for $1000.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
I don't like: Level trim on the fly does not default back to original calibration levels
But it returns to default settings after a power off/on cycle, does it not? Every processor that I'm aware of that offers level adjustment on the fly requires a power cycle to revert to the original settings.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you’re going to go Meridian, you must match them up with their own speakers. The digital ones, if you can afford them. A Meridian 565 7.1, matched with any set of digital Meridian speaker will be a huge upgrade above anything you mentioned (well IMHO anyway). But it will be outdated and not upgradeable. You wont be able to use the new HD-DVD, Blu Ray audio formats when they come out.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The Audio Refinement Pre2 is sparten for features but it does sound very good. It sounds pretty much equal to Anthem in terms of stereo & movie reproduction but actually sounds better than the Anthem re: DPL II. Why? I don't honestly know but the Pre2 was one of my favorite sounding pre pros. Just wish it had compoenent video switching.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.