AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to become the owner of one of these. Anybody own one? How does it compare to what you had before?--I'll be selling my Sony TAE9000es.

This unit has the 7.1 installed. Does it have a matrix 5.1 (for use with 5 speakers)?

Is there an owners site??-- Like the Sony site?

Thanks for any help. ....George

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Audioclyde. I actually got my Meridian model #s discombobulated. I am getting a 565;just that I thought the 561 was lower in the pecking order. Seems (according to used prices); the 561 is a higher up piece. Geo.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The 565 was their last generation's top of the line unit. It has been in production since 1994(?) and remained around until 2000 or so.

It has very limited switching capability, most people use it with a 562 or 562v A/V switching unit.

The unit's most import feature is the music modes, which includes Trifield, which is one of the few music modes that make 2ch sound better (even if you don't use surround speaker.) Plus it has ambisonic decoding. Ambisonic is record/playback method developed by Michael Gerzon and utilizes human auditory model that is almost never utliized in recordings, and it puts pretty much all the 5.1 recordings to shame.

Of course, the cinema modes are excellent also.

Most Meridian guys hang out at the Hitchhiker's Meridian site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.