AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've checked it with my dealer and the word is they are already working on their version. I know that their JVC based MF1 projectors were simply awesome and I expect to see that this pj will be one to dream of. It will most likely be calibrated by William Phelps and will definetely perform much better.

Perhaps, they will have vertical strech and full access for complete tweaking
This is of course just a speculation by me. I'll post if I can find out more.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat /forum/post/0

Yes, I've checked it with my dealer and the word is they are already working on their version. I know that their JVC based MF1 projectors were simply awesome and I expect to see that this pj will be one to dream of. It will most likely be calibrated by William Phelps and will definetely perform much better.

Perhaps, they will have vertical strech and full access for complete tweaking
This is of course just a speculation by me. I'll post if I can find out more.

I hope this is true and an indication that the post calibration issue will be resolved. All of us with RS1s can send them to Wm to turn it into the MF version at a fraction of the cost

·
Registered
685 Posts
The Meridian-Faroudja DILA 1080 MF-1 is the beefed up version of the JVC HD10K in addition to the calibration of Mr. Phelps.

The RS1/HD1 is not a replacement projector for the HD10K. The flagship projector for JVC will still be the HD10K until a replacement for that unit comes out. However, the RS1 will replace the HD2K projector. That does not take anything away from the upcoming RS1. It will be a fantastic projector and the most bang for the buck projector in the market. The credit goes to JVC who could have easily spruced up the price for the RS1 purely due to the native 15,000:1 optical contrast feature alone. They have kept the price at a bare minimum for a product that has brought in breakthrough technology. The credit must go to AVS as well for offering the projector at an eye-popping power buy price.

JVC could have easily set the price higher but they didn't. They deserve kudos for this.

Saying that, it is not entirely fair for the RS1 to be compared with projectors like the HD10K and / or MF1. They are elite projectors and flagship projectors by companies. Yes, the RS1 will smoke all the digital projectors on contrast ratio but there are more factors than pure contrast ratio that constitute a realistic, beautiful and even image. Schneider's anamorphic lens is $6,125 alone and that is the sharpest long throw anamorphic lens out there today. What gives?

Hence, comparing the RS1 to far more expensive projectors is not fair on the RS1. It will give other projectors that are upto $10K a good run for their money but asking it to compete with $20K projectors for image quality is stretching it.

Meridian-Faroudja may very well come out with their own version of the RS1 but that projector will not be replacing their flagship MF-1. It will replace their MF-2 projector.

There is another factor to consider here. The JVC comes with Gennum processing but Meridian has bought Faroudja which is a competitor to Gennum and Silicon Optix. Why would Meridian leave out their very own Faroudja and prefer VXP by Gennum or HQV by Silicon Optix? The numbers don't add up.

Meridian has recently announced their upcoming flagship video processor. I think the model number is 6080 and it is going to be excruciatingly expensive! But, something to look forward to is the total revamping of the Faroudja DCDi algorithms. Meridian wants to not only enter the video processing domain but make a statement here. An upheaval process for Faroudja is in the works.

Meridian will most probably not bundle the external video processor with their version of the RS-1. Instead they will use on-board scaling by Faroudja with some key features that are being used in their new Meridian VP.

The price should be $10,000 but don't be surprised if it is $15,000 MSRP. I don't reckon it will be more than that as asking $20,000 MSRP for a projector is asking the same price as the flagship MF-1 (minus the processor). It costs $26,000 MSRP with the processor.

There is a good chance that the eventual replacement for the MF-1 will come bundled with the flagship Meridian VP and that projector could well be over $45K and a sight to behold.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
French mag Prestige audio tested the HD1: 12000:1 and more,at 690 ansi lumens and 23-25db

at one time they thought the projector was turned off because the blacks were that good

a Planar dlp was tested also: 1570:1 ....

all in all JVC has hit the mark big time with steadiness of tests performed so far.

·
Registered
685 Posts
LJG,

Meridian only recently announced that they would be altering / improving the optics for their MF-1 projectors. Initially the MF-1 came with the HD10K lenses.

It is interesting to note that Schneider has lenses listed on their site for JVC DILA projectors. I am not aware of the lens manufacturer for the HD10K but it may very well be Schneider.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon Malik /forum/post/0

...Meridian will most probably not bundle the external video processor with their version of the RS-1. Instead they will use on-board scaling by Faroudja with some key features that are being used in their new Meridian VP...

Haroon, thanks for this information about potential Meridian direction.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon Malik /forum/post/0

The RS1/HD1 is not a replacement projector for the HD10K. The flagship projector for JVC will still be the HD10K until a replacement for that unit comes out. However, the RS1 will replace the HD2K projector.

Has this been officially announced? The director of the display division at JVC Pro US (Lon Moss) said at the EH Expo that they weren't sure yet what they were going to do with the HD2K. It does have a unique benefit of good performance in a small package and it's very portable (recessed handle and all). It's ironic that it was exactly these features (small size, handle, etc) that made it difficult for many people to accept it as a serious, dedicated HT projector, but yet these same features could now be it's biggest strength.

Quote:
Saying that, it is not entirely fair for the RS1 to be compared with projectors like the HD10K and / or MF1. They are elite projectors and flagship projectors by companies. Yes, the RS1 will smoke all the digital projectors on contrast ratio but there are more factors than pure contrast ratio that constitute a realistic, beautiful and even image.

This still remains to be seen. The biggest weakness of digitals has always been elevated black levels and relatively poor contrast and the HD1 fixes this in a big way so many people will prefer it for just that reason. The thinner LC layer and faster response times will also unveil some fine detail that is lost in the older and thicker LC layer panel designs. It will also likely eliminate the flicker that people have reported with the HD10K and MF1 at 48hz. The big question is if the RS1 can deliver consistently good or better grey-scale tracking and shading uniformity as the HD10K. If that's the case then it's going to be a win-win for most people. I know JVC is still selling the HD10K and would have people believe that it's superior in most respects, but even ignoring the price differential, the RS1 has the potential to supersede it. Until the RS1 production units are out in quantity though it's anyones guess what the final QC, greyscale and uniformity will be though.

The MF1 is an interesting case because it's secret ingredient is the precise and consistent Phelps calibration that every unit is shipped with. If an external calibration interface isn't forthcoming from JVC then the RS1 will not be able to benefit from this calibration and I think many people will prefer the MF1 over the RS1 for that reason even with the significant disadvantages of much higher price, lower contrast, higher black levels, slower panel response times, etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Haroon it would help out enourmously for clearness to specify that it's your own speculation of things. Reading the replys it's clear that people take your speculations for fact rather than speculation ;-)

Interesting speculations and I would think that the Marvel chip will be used in a M RS1 PJ with VmP calibration.

More speculations?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, it's official now. I reconfirmed with Meridian thru my dealer and they are working on HD1 for a new product offering. They will continue with the HD10K based MF-1. No further details as for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.