Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the word on the G68??

DVI / HDMI inputs / switching? What exactly does it do besides surround procesing?

How is it different from the 568.2?

Can't find anything on the Meridian site.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's the replacement for the 568.2.

Very nice step up in capabilities, however, same sound quality as a 568. If I had a 568, I'd have to think real hard before upgrading.

As a 565 owner, I'm eager to jump in on the first iteration of this platform. Which is likely to last a good 8 to 10 years, much like the current 500 series has lasted that long.

Here's an excerpt from the press release:

G Series Surround Controller

The G68 Surround Controller is a unique, modular, and upgradable THX Ultra2

component serving as a digital-and-analog A/V surround preamp-processor with

RDS/RDBS tuner. It provides a variety of multichannel inputs including two

6-channel digital inputs, thus accepting Meridian MHR Smart Link signals

from compatible Meridian disc players. By upsampling these signals, the G68

offers an improvement in sound quality from movie and music multichannel

recordings. Numerous stereo digital and analog inputs are also present for

audio and A/V sources, and a balanced-out analog options are available.

Flexible video configurations can include broadcast-grade switching

incorporating multiple S- and component-video inputs and outputs.

The G68 goes much further, however. Its proprietary Meridian DSP

room-correction system counteracts room resonances for outstanding

real-world sound, eliminating “muddiness†and dramatically improving stereo

and surround imaging. Meridian’s unmatched DSP expertise is reflected in the

G68’s remarkable DSP engine, a 5-processor layout capable of an astonishing

750 MIPS of calculating power. This is used in the fullest range of stereo

and surround processing yet created, including THX, Dolby Digital, and DTS

modes, plus Ambisonics, MPEG, and Meridian’s own, widely acclaimed Trifield

family of music-surround environments.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
In a features sense, the G68 is a 568.2 processor and a 562V.3 in one box with the luxury of a tuner. Plus the luxury of modular construction (3 bays) and 60-band digital room correction. The G98 DVD player interestingly is what adds HDMI outs and composite/S-Video linedoubling/HDMI conversion. No DVI or HDMI inputs, however. Since it's modular, I get the sense that there was no need to rush into DVI/HDMI inputs when they can easily be added. The coolest thing is the synergy between the G68 and G98 and the division of duties between them. The DVD player does the 5.1 decoding and line doubling of all sources, the processor handles 5.1 to 7.1 conversion, bass management, room correction and upsampling of all channels.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Joel,

I'd recommend G91 over G98 when they are available. While G98 will scale external video sources, it cannot accept an external digital source.

G91 OTOH, accepts external digital sources, and decodes internally. By using the G91 as your DD/DTS decoder you will then effectively have scaling + upsampling for all digital inputs and 1 to 3 cables for digital audio (depending on whether the endpoint is G68 or 861).

The only downside to G91 that I can see, is that it duplicates the tuner found in the G68.

Just my thougts.

FYI, I'm looking at the press handouts from Meridian's press conference at CEDIA... I should also point out that all of the handouts are marked preliminary and might change.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Why would we want the G91 to upscale digital audio when the G68 could do it, I think?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
adi,

G68 cannot upsample any input format. Upsampling is done for PCM inputs on the digital input receiver, and the decode of DD/DTS also occurs on the digital input receiver. It can do only one of these two functions at a time. By using G91 as your external decoder all input is PCM, which is then upsampled on the receiver before processing in the main DSP section.

This has been discussed in depth at the Hitchhiker's Guide to Meridian where you also participate.

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.