AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCCDesignGuy /forum/post/13657643

... had an opportunity to conduct an evaluation of the brand-spankin' new Meridian MF2; the new baby brother to the current MF1. ...

The MF2 is a FAR CRY from the JVC RSII.

Perhaps the biggest understatement of all time!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen /forum/post/13664374

Bingo! Yes, I think you're right. It's been awhile since people discussed the MF1 and MF2 but I believe the MF2 is the HD2K based variant that wasn't discussed much (the MF1 was the machine to get at the time).

If this is indeed the case HCCD with one review managed to indirectly pan two new projectors while giving them glowing reviews. The way FP has advanced in the past couple of yrs it is inconceivable that the Meridian could compete with anything within its price range, much less the RS2 with a proper processor (which you could get with the price differential). And if the Runco was barely competitive, that speaks loads, and would indicate that is not competitive with any DLP within its price range. If the above quote turns out to be correct, the review will end up being one of the most ironic reviews ever posted in this forum.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen /forum/post/0

Bingo! Yes, I think you're right. It's been awhile since people discussed the MF1 and MF2 but I believe the MF2 is the HD2K based variant that wasn't discussed much (the MF1 was the machine to get at the time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS /forum/post/13667646

If this is indeed the case HCCD with one review managed to indirectly pan two new projectors while giving them glowing reviews. The way FP has advanced in the past couple of yrs it is inconceivable that the Meridian could compete with anything within its price range, much less the RS2 with a proper processor (which you could get with the price differential).

The Meridian MF2 was indeed based on the JVC DLA-HD2K (which I reviewed). The DLA-HD2K was priced at $29,950.00. There was also a Faroudja DILA1080pHD (which I also reviewed) also based on the JVC DLA-HD2K. Faroudja enclosed the HD2K in a much larger aluminum shell, had them calibrated by William Phelps, and raised the price to $40,000 (with external processor). Meridian eventually became responsible for the development, manufacturing, marketing and selling of all Faroudja products. (Genesis Microchip took ownership of the Faroudja name and patents.) The aluminum case was discarded and a new product was marketed as the Meridian/Faroudja D-ILA1080MF2. http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_mf2.htm

A couple of measurements from my reviews:

JVC DLA-HD2K Full-field contrast ratio = 2160:1, m-ANSI CR = 66:1

Faroudja DILA1080pHD Full-field contrast ratio = 2070:1, m-ANSI CR = 73:1

·
Registered
15,306 Posts
Ouch.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/13669154

Ouch.

The contrast ratios just show how far we have come in the last few years. The m-ANSI numbers were absurdly low even then, but the full-field contrast ratios were fairly typical (2000-2500 : 1) of LCoS at the time. JVC has done amazing things with LCoS since then.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk /forum/post/13670251

So the Runco has worse contrast thank an HD2K-based pj? Is the Runco also based on a LCoS platform?

No, the Runco RS-1100 is a DLP DC3 chipped based unit that is a hot-rodded version of the BenQ W5000 (taht is, at least according to Jason).

HTH

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
To quote Mr. T, I pity the fool who walks into HCCDesignGuy's store seeking expert advice on projector purchases.

This is my favorite paragraph:

Quote:
The MF2 is a FAR CRY from the JVC RSII. The JVC RSII; while a great projector which certainly walks all over many projectors in, below & above its price point IS NOT a Meridian MF2. I evaluated the RSII in the past & while it was impressive, I was not inclined to offer it to our clients as a replacement for anything we currently offer in or around its price range. I could get into the reasons but this is for a different discussion.

Where can I buy this "RSII" that JVC makes?

·
Registered
15,306 Posts
Well it seems our caution was not misplaced.

It would seem there are errors in HCCDesignGuy's posts, but I'm wondering exactly what the nature of the errors are. For instance:

HCCDesignGuy wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCCDesignGuy /forum/post/0

for these evaluations had an opportunity to conduct an evaluation of the brand-spankin' new Meridian MF2

Yet Gregr points out the Meridian MF2, far from being "brand-spankin' new" is actually based on an older JVC projector reviewed years ago. Which suggests HCCDesignGuy was really evaluating an older model.

But then in his follow up post HCCDesignGuy goes on about how, for the MF2, Meridian uses the JVC RS2, buying them "in lots of 20 at a time" to tweak.

So which is it?

Is there a new Meridian that is actually based on the JVC RS2 that

HCCDesignGuy may have been evaluating, and he simply has been stating the wrong (old) Meridian model number by mistake?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/13672304

Is there a new Meridian that is actually based on the JVC RS2 that

HCCDesignGuy may have been evaluating, and he simply has been stating the wrong (old) Meridian model number by mistake?

I believe the MF10 is based on the RS2. But then that begs the question about the "optimized by William Phelps" used to differentiate the MF1/MF2 from their JVC original counterparts. As far as we know Wm's software tools cannot be used with the new D-ILA platform as used in the RS2. So or me the questions are -

1. Is Wm Phelps calibration now available on the RS2 D-ILA platform ?

2. If the answer to the above in no then what differentates the MF10 from the RS2 performance to justify the $14k MRSP ?

3. If the answer is yes can Wm's calibration be performed on a standard RS2 for less than the cost of the MF10 ?

Anyboby have an email address for Wm to ask the question ?

D

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr /forum/post/13667895

A couple of measurements from my reviews:

JVC DLA-HD2K Full-field contrast ratio = 2160:1, m-ANSI CR = 66:1

Faroudja DILA1080pHD Full-field contrast ratio = 2070:1, m-ANSI CR = 73:1

I like how this guy is trying to pitch the merits of a projector two generations back

I mean, did he just repost a review from 2 years ago? Wiskey Tango Foxtrot!

I see HD2Ks for sale for under $2k. Why would he want the Meridian for $15?

This is perfect confusion marketing. Compare it to another irrelevant projector

The MF2 is a FAR CRY from the JVC RSII. The JVC RSII; while a great projector which certainly walks all over many projectors in, below & above its price point IS NOT a Meridian MF2. I evaluated the RSII in the past & while it was impressive, I was not inclined to offer it to our clients as a replacement for anything we currently offer in or around its price range. I could get into the reasons but this is for a different discussion.

I'll get into it for them. We have a bunch of rebadged HD2Ks sitting around in our warehouse. We're looking for takers at ANY price south of $15,000. We'll take $3000, or less, though if offered

Let me explain we priced it at $40,000 and ran out of the 2 customers that were completely unaware of the market, We then kept lowering the price to try to find the maket price and we are at $15,000 now. We can't figure out why nobody will buy these so any offer will be taken because we are gonna lose our ass on these regardless.

on another note the AVS deal at the top of the page is a great deal
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1013981

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I love the almost obsessive compulsive focus on how the projector "warmed up" after being on a plane a few hours earlier, followed by a description about how the colors changed after this warm up period.

Someone better tell Greg Rogers how meaningless his reviews are without detailed discussions on this crucial issue.

What does it use, vacuum tubes?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/13672689

I love the almost obsessive compulsive focus on how the projector "warmed up" after being on a plane a few hours earlier, followed by a description about how the colors changed after this warm up period.

Someone better tell Greg Rogers how meaningless his reviews are without detailed discussions on this crucial issue.

What does it use, vacuum tubes?

I thought (may be wrong) that the lamp output was a bit different when you first start the PJ from cold to say after 15-20 mins running when it reached normal optimum temp. I'm not sure if it's possible to see the difference with the naked eye but it may show up if measuring.

D

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
We'll take $999!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Wow - you guys are mean.

Why don't we assume for the time being that the initial post is referring to the MF10, and start again

I've put a call into Meridian to find out whether Mr Phelps was indeed involved with this pj, but tech support were on voice mail (friday afternoon in the UK
).

I'll try again on Monday.

There was a rumour that the Meridian version might just come with the JVC VP as standard, but as this wasn't mentioned in the first post, I'm assuming that this isn't the case with the OPs machine.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Look this thread is a JOKE.

1. Nobody with ANY credibility posts a thread or does a review and doesn't attach their name to it. Do you even know HCCDesignGuy name? nope it's never mentioned.

2. He's comparing his projector to a RUNCO RSII. This projector does not exist.

3. He doesn't even spell Vutec name right or have any clue about what they are talking about.

What likely is happening here is either JVC or Meridian has sold off inventory to these guys for little or no money. This is spam. It's an attempted at marketing or garnering interest in these projectors to sell them off at any price. I'm sure if you look at other forums and newsletters you will see the exact same "advertisement" for the awesome Meridian MF2.

April fools!

And NO Phelps cant do anything for the JVC RS series.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I am assuming that the confusion that has come about is a result of the original poster mentions the MF2 was the demo. I presume he meant the MF10, not the older, probably discontinued MF2. Meridian rep is traveling around the country showing this new projector. I have been told by someone who just saw it in the last 48 hours that it is fantastic. Way better then an RS2 in a side by side shootout with identical settings via Geffen 1 in 2 out. In fairness, RS2 had considerably more hours on it, but nonetheless, the MF10 was significantly better. MF10 has over 30,000:1 contrast.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi /forum/post/13673050

I am assuming that the confusion that has come about is a result of the original poster mentions the MF2 was the demo. I presume he meant the MF10, not the older, probably discontinued MF2. Meridian rep is traveling around the country showing this new projector. I have been told by someone who just saw it in the last 48 hours that it is fantastic. Way better then an RS2 in a side by side shootout with identical settings via Geffen 1 in 2 out. In fairness, RS2 had considerably more hours on it, but nonetheless, the MF10 was significantly better. MF10 has over 30,000:1 contrast.

If there is any confusion it is because the OP has created it.

I think Tryg is right.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think he simply got the model number wrong. He is referring to the Meridian MF10 which is "on tour" around the country to dealers right now. The Meridian rep does not reveal details of the new mods. However, the bulb selection process still holds true I believe. Mr. Phelps was under contract for the MF2, but I do NOT know if he works on the MF10. I have not seen the JVC RS2 or the MF10, so will reserve judgement.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
This guy likes to type though

21 - 40 of 54 Posts