AVS Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi /forum/post/13673050

I am assuming that the confusion that has come about is a result of the original poster mentions the MF2 was the demo. I presume he meant the MF10, not the older, probably discontinued MF2. Meridian rep is traveling around the country showing this new projector.

If this isn't just a (bad) joke, there is no way it could possibly have been an MF2. As the contrast ratio measurements of the MF2 I posted show, no one could possibly believe the MF2 was a superior projector to the JVC RS2. It would have to be the MF10, which I certainly wouldn't have called "the new baby brother to the current MF1" as the OP did. But it was either the MF10 or his post simply makes no sense. We expect to review the MF10 in the near future.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Perhaps the OP thought MF10 was the binary model designation where 10 in binary = 2 in plain old decimal, and was simply kind enough to do the translation for us.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx /forum/post/13672415

I believe the MF10 is based on the RS2. But then that begs the question about the "optimized by William Phelps" used to differentiate the MF1/MF2 from their JVC original counterparts. As far as we know Wm's software tools cannot be used with the new D-ILA platform as used in the RS2. So or me the questions are -

1. Is Wm Phelps calibration now available on the RS2 D-ILA platform ?

2. If the answer to the above in no then what differentates the MF10 from the RS2 performance to justify the $14k MRSP ?

3. If the answer is yes can Wm's calibration be performed on a standard RS2 for less than the cost of the MF10 ?

Anyboby have an email address for Wm to ask the question ?

D

Anyone that owns a JVC RS2 could send their projector to W.P. for a hotrod & if you're willing to spend the extra money on it; you could also start from scratch by purchasing a new lamp & doing the Meridian process.

I think I mentioned this in my past post however I've been writing books so I can understand if one doesn't catch this:

1) If a service modification is done to the JVC you no longer have a warranty on it. Additionally; of course; should you have a problem with the JVC, once JVC services it you're going to have a factory projector again_ which means you then have to re-purchase the W.P. upgrade

2) Meridian is given the opportunity by JVC to evaluate the projectors they purchase & send back what doesn't meet a minimum tolerance requirement. Currently, Meridian orders the RS2 in lots of 20. Of each lot; on average; 12 are refused & sent back to JVC for credit.

Speaking from a lot of experience dealing with large manufacturers such as Mitsubishi, InFocus, BenQ & others, they have pretty broad tolerances as far as what is acceptable when it rolls out. I personally experience a lot of inconsistency problems when I use projectors from such companies...one looks remarkable for the price, the next looks so bad you can't believe it's the same model...this is regardless of price_ it's just the nature of big business when bean-counting is your primary focus as a manufacturer.

I have not verified the dollars personally but I believe for those willing to assume the risk of the issues I just discussed, one could likely save about 4k by purchasing their own JVC & sending it out for an overhaul.

That being said, I can also say that if I really needed to stay in the 11k - 12k budget I'd likely opt for something like a Runco RS-1100. This has nothing to do with the fact that I sell Runco; I sell JVC too. It's because you only have an 8 in 20 chance of yielding a better result then the Runco based on the inconsistency of the JVC. Runco; like Meridian, SIM2, Dwin & a very small handful of other tweak companies; have tight tolerances on all their products...my experience is in the range of 3% - 5% +/- vs big companies which are more in the 15% +/-. I personally just can't see the risk associated with a personal modification of a JVC projector but that's me.

I suppose the exception to this would be if my plan was to buy the JVC today & when I had some extra money a year from now that I'd then send it for a tweak.

I plan to contact WP to get some firm answers on what he charges for the upgrade to the RS2 as I have a few clients who currently own the RS2. I have understood that it' likely a by-the-hour process for individuals. Meridian has a fixed-price deal but they started out paying hourly.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's not so much what he charges that we're interested in HCCDesignGuy, as what can be done. It was our understanding that the main improvements possible with previous generation JVC projectors simply weren't possible with the RS1/2 HD1/100.

If it suddenly became possible, then this is big news.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtimes /forum/post/13691103

If it suddenly became possible, then this is big news.

I'm not holding breath my breath. WM makes money doing this. If he could do it, we would know about it.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/13691108

I'm not holding breath my breath. WM makes money doing this. If he could do it, we would know about it.

Another possibility: He might be able to do it but only for MF and not for others. With the old line of JVC projectors Wm developed the tools himself. Gaining access to the new line of JVC projectors is much more complicated though and he may have been granted access through a deal between JVC and MF and the terms of that deal may preclude Wm from offering these services independently.

Another thing that remains to be seen is the degree of "tweakability" of the new JVC architecture. The old JVC line had addressable LUT's allowing for very fine granularity of greyscale steps, gamma and shading. I think only JVC and possibly Wm and MF know what the adjustment range and granularity are on the new JVC projectors. So it's still an open question if the RS series can be given the same level of optimization that people came to expect with the old G series, HX and HD lines.

It would be nice to hear Wm chime in and talk about these things.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I noticed from this link for the MF1 on Meridian's site:

http://www.meridian-audio.com/data/D-ILA1080MF1-ds.pdf

that the MF1 has basically the case look of the RS1 and RS2, has 2 lens options which are powered and the throw ratios are different than JVC's for the RS1 and RS2. I wonder how the lenses compare to those in the JVCs and whether a difference can be seen with focus patterns.

I also noticed that they brag about the color gamut being way outside SMPTE240. The primaries don't look like those of the HD2K since reds were more orangish than for many other projectors and definitely not out where the RS1 or RS2 reds are (which look more like the gamut they have shown there).

The MF1 one also has no internal scaling according to that document, which is like the HD2K. Also, I find it somewhat interesting that the graph they show for William Phelp's work says, "Contrast Ratio: 2510". That is like the HD2K. Could be an old graph just for reference though.

Anybody know if the MF1 is based on the HD2K or the later RS1 (or a hybrid with the case of the RS1, but the internals of the HD2K)?

In the past I believe William had his own gamma curve which worked with the relatively low on/off CR and ANSI CR of the HD2K. I wonder if he has or will modify what he does for gamma with higher on/off CRs, like the RS2 has.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/13694743

Anybody know if the MF1 is based on the HD2K or the later RS1 (or a hybrid with the case of the RS1, but the internals of the HD2K)?

The MF1 is the old JVC DLA-HD10K. It had 2 lens options and the JVC spec on full-field CR was 2500:1. It accepted 1080p 48/50/60 only and had no internal scaler/deinterlacer. The MF1 was reviewed by Bill Cushman in WSR.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Look guys...he's unstoppable. We are just gonna have to call in Mothra

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/13695394

Look guys...he's unstoppable. We are just gonna have to call in Mothra

..or worse!

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by love rainbows /forum/post/13696716

pdf says MF10 uses a Fujinon lens, is that the same a JVC rs2?

[/url]

RS2 uses a Fujinon lens, so I assume it's the same. It's interesting that there is no mention of additional calibration or Wm in the literature. In fact I didn't see any other differences from a standard RS2, although I didn't read it carefully. I would think if there were changes or additional calibration that they would have mentioned it. It's probably just a RS2 sold through the MF dealer network and marked up by ungodly amounts to satisfy the needs of their customer base

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCCDesignGuy /forum/post/13657643

jfvnav a.revr...........cmdskcnW C

Well that is an interesting review. I'm not smart enough to really understand what it says, but at least I didn't waste a lot of my time reading it.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen /forum/post/13697729

RS2 uses a Fujinon lens, so I assume it's the same. It's interesting that there is no mention of additional calibration or Wm in the literature. In fact I didn't see any other differences from a standard RS2, although I didn't read it carefully. I would think if there were changes or additional calibration that they would have mentioned it. It's probably just a RS2 sold through the MF dealer network and marked up by ungodly amounts to satisfy the needs of their customer base

Well unless we hear anything official, I don't see what other conclusions we can draw. The OP did mention that a Meridian rep was with them at the demo though, so you'd think at least some of this info came from the horse's mouth.

Anyway - I've put calls and emails into Meridian UK with no response yet.

The only difference I can see o the PDF from the JVC is that they seem to be offering a sled-based anamorphic lens option, wheras JVC in the UK have a Schneider lens/pivoting system.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts