Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

If you are attending the WSR d-theater festival could you please ask 2 questions for me.

First, tell those studio reps they had better not even think about downrezzing the analog outputs on our 30ks.

Second, if there is a fox rep there ask them what our chances are of getting STARWARS on d-theater..

Thanks!!

G

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I also have a few questions concerning D-VHS, 5C, DTheater!

1) Why is DTheater be used when 5C provides all of the copy-protection that is needed when the "NO Copy Flag" is set?

2) If they are requiring D-Theater because of the componat video outputs of the JVC D-VHS. Why not make it possible for the tape to be encoded as follows;

a) Only required D-Theater decoding on D-VHS decks with Componant Video Outputs.

b) Allow diaplay on Firewire / 5C equipped protected displays.

or) Release two versions of the movie one with DTheater and the other with 5C Copy Protection.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Probably easier to just include both so you have all tapes cover all bases of HD signal transfer. Add to that Macrovision for analog. and you have the makings of a well protected tape from copying by thos whose technology spans that of a typical consumer but not a real hacker who can break any of these if he puts his mind to it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I need to rephase my comments.

2) If they are requiring D-Theater because of the componat video outputs of the JVC D-VHS. Why not make it possible for the tape to be encoded as follows;

a) Only required D-Theater decoding on D-VHS decks with Componant Video Outputs.

b) Allow diaplay on Firewire / 5C equipped protected displays that do not have D-theater Support.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
D-Theater decoding happens when you read the tape, not when you output a signal on the firewire link.

I would hazard to guess that first generation DVHS VCRs like the Panny could be easily hacked to get an HD-SDI output, in the same way most DVD players can, because they use different chips to process the signal, leaving the digital flux easy to get.

With recent DVD decks, and with the 30000U, all the processing is done with one chip only, and the digital flux being inside the chip, you cannot hack it.

I'd say that D-Theater licensing must require this one chip implementation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.