AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts
Wait I am confused, my PS2 version of Metal Gear Solid 2 is titled "Sons Of Liberty" how does this differ from Substance? And for that matter, my MGS3 is titled "Snake Eater" so what gives?

Go to a search engine and spend 2 minutes and you'll get a detailed answer that will satisfy your question.

As for Metal Gear 1 and 2 being gone, they removed the 2nd disc from Subsistence, which was called Persistence, that had them along with other stuff such as online play.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Yep. Rather than spend a few bucks by removing online and pressing a new disc they just left out the whole disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders16 /forum/post/0

Wait I am confused, my PS2 version of Metal Gear Solid 2 is titled "Sons Of Liberty" how does this differ from Substance?

See post #7.

I just bought this game after reading this thread and realizing this collection had been released. I am replaying MGS1 right now and I am enjoying it. It has been 8 years and it has some little things thst I forgot about. Very cool to hear them talk about Big Boss now that I know his back story after playing MGS3.

I am disapointed that I cannot get the analog control to woek on MGS1. I do not think I am doing anything wrong? Anyone else notice they could not get analog controle playing this game with a SIXAXES controller? (EDIT: I found a way to enable analog controle, read below)

I recentley read they are also releasing MGS1 on the online Playstation network. I wonder if it will have 5.1 audio and analog control. . .

In case anone is wondering the games are exact replicas of the original games. I was wishing that MGS1 would arrive on a 1 disk DVD, nope it is a PS1 CD complete with a black coat on the back. ANother weird thing is that the box the game arrived insays nothing about Directors cut or subsistence cut. I wonder if MGS3 has the 3rd persion camera like subsistence had, I will check later. I am playing MGS1 right now and it does have the VR missions on disk 1.

/a shame it is still a two disk cd release and not a 1 disk DVD. . .

Edit: I figured out how to get ANALOG MODE!!!!

When playing the game hit the PS button in the SIXAXES and select controler settings. It will allow you to switch from digital to analog mode!!! HELL YEA !!!

Meryl's codec code on MGS1 is 140.15. The game says check the back of the CD case to find it, oops the cd case in 2008 is a re-design.

I just ordered a Dual Shock 3 controller tonight (for MGS4 and this game) from EBAY. I want to know if it will rumble when I play Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection on my PS3?

Anyone tried this release on a Dual Shock 3.

Anyone get this and is trying to move through all the MGS games before #4? Im playing #1 now... still a great game, very playable, but lacking all the advanced controls of #2 and #3 (first person shooting, CQC, hanging from rails, etc.). The graphics are atmospheric, animation is great, sound is awesome.

I kind of wish they packed in Integral + VR missions but I guess they were not deemed "essential" (though I think MGS2 has VR). Still props to Konami for putting together this set. I owned all of these games but never beat them and want to go into MGS4 right. I only have a few more weeks to get through this, #2, #3 and Portable Ops!

I didn't get the essential collection because I still own MGS2, MGS3:S and MGS TS (GC), even if the GC version is way over the top with updated cutscenes, it is pretty enjoyable with MGS2 type of gameplay. I have to admit that it is a lot easier too.

Yea, obviously you don't need it! If I would've kept all my old MGS I wouldn't have gotten it either. I was thinking about getting Twin Snakes because I was scared about the cruder graphics and gameplay elements of the original release but I heard its not as great a remake as it should've been.

So in what order does everyone recommend playing these through in order to prepare for MGS4? Chronological (3, 1, 2) or in order of release (1, 2, 3), or doesn't really matter?

I've played through 1 and 2 at their initial release, but couldn't quite grasp everything that was going on with 2 by the end, which made me hesitant to try 3 (and in fact I never did). Now that it's been a few years I'm ready to give it another shot...so feel free to explain why, just use spoiler tags.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.