AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
You want to lay a track along to top of your ceiling (power nailed or screwed to the ceiling joists). This will become the upper front edge of the soffit. Then, you'll run a track horizontally along the vertical back wall. This will become the lower backside edge of the soffit.

Take a piece of track and cut through the middle of it (jigsaw with a metal cutting blade), effectively forming two 90 degree angles. This was the cheapest and most effective angle iron I could find/make.

Cut your studs to form the vertical runners, and make them as long as you want them the soffit to be deep. Press fit them into the ceiling track at the intervals that you want the studs spaced. I did mine at 16" OC.

Take a stud that will form the bottom (horizontal) of the soffit and cut it to length. The front edge of this stud will be screwed to the bottom edge of the vertical stud, effectively forming an 'L' on it's side. Push the stud into the horizontal track, then secure the top stud to the ceiling track (otherwise it will fall out from the weight of the stud section).

Complete this for every stud section, making sure that all joins are consistent in dimension, and SQUARE!!!

Then, take your angle iron and run it along the bottom of the front edge of the soffit. This is where your edges of drywall will join up, and gives something for them to be screwed into.

What I also did was rather reposition the horizontal track (the bottom edge of the soffit against the wall) after everything else was in place. This allowed me to make sure everything was perfectly level and square.

Hope these directions are not too confusing!!

Cheers,

· Registered
268 Posts
I build two simple minature walls. One to the height of the soffit face and the other 3-1/2 inches less than the depth. Hang the face wall from the ceiling first and then join the horizontal section to the wall surface and to the face wall. Clamps and another pair of hands are helpful.

· Registered
483 Posts
heh heh.....Wayne, guess that's why you are a pro and I am not. There is always a better and more efficient way of doing things!! :D:D:D

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne,

How do you connect these two miniture walls? Also, this would work best, because for the bottom of the soffit, I'm going to attach it to the conder block wall, then build the normal wall under it. I have no access to the joist above the now concret portion, as you can see in the pics in my sig...

Thanks,

Steve

· Registered
268 Posts
Screw through the bottom of the track (the widest part)of the horizontal section into the back flange of the vertical section. After you have two sections constructed lay the ceiling (horizontal section) flat on the floor and stand the face (vertical section) up like a normal wall in front of it. It will make sense then. You can pre drill through both while it is on the floor. Also, installing the ceiling section will be a good bit easier if you screw a 2x4 onto the block just under the line that your steel will attach to the wall. It will give you a ledge to rest the whole assembly on temporarily. I can do these myself this way with just a few clamps to hold things together temporarily. There are other ways to do it but this works the best for me.

· Registered
624 Posts
I did the same thing Wayne did with a slight variation. For the horizontal peice I used BMP D700 angles.

First, I built the vertical section and attached it to the ceiling. Then, I measured from the ceiling joist to the bottom of the vertical section (mini wall) I created and then marked the appropriate spot on the wall where I in three locations. Then I cut the D700 angle to the proper length and attached it to the wall. Next, I measured the distance to between the D700 angle and the vertical section and cut the studs to the proper length. In the studs, I would cut the sides the appropriate length so I could slide it under the D700 angle and the vertial section. I would then secure the modified stud to both sides.

It's hard to explain without illustrations, but I found it to be quick and easy, not to mentiong very strong. I was able to hang from it and I'm 275lbs.

Here's a link to the D700 angle I'm referring to. Maybe your local HD has an equivalent product.

http://www.bmp-group.com/drywall_framing4.shtml#D-700

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.