AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear what I refer to as a metal-tap sound in audio dialog. Meaning when there is loud speaking in the center channel. I had thought this was to do with a center channel acoustically hitting the glass behind it. However, I was at a hotel room, with a completely different configuration, and playing a completely different dialog-audio, and experienced the same 'metal-tap' sound. Is it possible that this is a fault of lower quality MP3 and dialog.. or lower quality Video and Dialog? That a metal-tap sound will emerge. My ears are very sensitive to higher pitches, and will pick up ambient noises.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's very possible that you're hearing flutter echo - as it sounds a good bit like that. Flutter echo is sound bouncing between two parallel wall spaces. A sound will often reflect tons of times within a very short period, and you'll hear bits of each reflection. It's often characterized by some as a "zing". Usually, you can hear it a bit with a clap, or other short impulse sounds.
Otherwise it could also be due to lobing from reflections, as this is also common in most rooms, though it's not the easiest thing to really discern.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts