AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have had their ears graced by the sweet and brutal sounds of the varied genre that is heavy metal, what speakers do you prefer? or what setup showcases the genre?

I was able to demo some B&W CM7s with Opeth's Ghost Reveries. I wasn't able to play with the equalizer, but they seemed a bit soft/warm. Nevertheless, I still smiled as the second track's heavier riffs came in.

So what music do you enjoy in this genre and what is your setup?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I grew up in that era and i wonder sometimes if my hearing isnt starting to fade a little. Ive had my fair share of 80s arena concerts and i wonder if im not starting to lose some of the edge.

I picked up a 3 piece set of CLS series cerwin vegs because ive always liked those speakers and they sounded a little warm to my ear as well. I even tried to crank the treble but it didnt seem to help much.

Maybe i should have my hearing tested before i setup somthing and invite some people over and shred their ears.

I use to like that sound that bose uses the smilie face EQ kinda sound but now days i like just the opposite, i like more midrange in my sound now. Could that be some hearing loss?

·
Registered
537 Posts
 http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/produc...d/r-series.asp

I bought a Yamaha R112 for my electric guitar, thought I might try it out with some music found out its brilliant for metal and other types of music as well. Really hits you in the face with sound with no dynamic compression, made my ears ring after a while. Not as smooth sounding as my paradigm studio 100v3's, but the dynamics make up for it. I mostly listen to metallica, slayer, pantera, tool and some death metal bands.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16958421

I use to like that sound that bose uses the smilie face EQ kinda sound but now days i like just the opposite, i like more midrange in my sound now. Could that be some hearing loss?

I was always a fan of cranking the highs and lows. V pattern type crossfade, yet I am learning the intricasies of the mids and am prefering a little more in the sound. I don't think its hearing loss, I think its refinement...or something like that.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvos /forum/post/16958464

I was always a fan of cranking the highs and lows. V pattern type crossfade, yet I am learning the intricasies of the mids and am prefering a little more in the sound. I don't think its hearing loss, I think its refinement...or something like that.

Well i hope not but i do prefer a more balanced sound now, or what seems more balanced then what i use to like as a kid.

Maybe it was just how the music back then was mixed? maybe the "reference" stuff they used then had some affect on the final mix?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not a huge metal head, but I do appreciate it and am very much into hardcore punk/metal bands like Raised Fist, Death By Stereo, Blood For Blood/Ramallah and Terror... to name a few. I was actually just listening to Ride the Lightning too.. weird. I mostly listen to punk rock n roll. Everything from The Clash to Green Day. The speakers i settled on as being the best sounding for my price range was Energy. I've got C-500 towers for listening to music and they are amazing for the rock/punk genre. Everything i've thrown at them has sounded amazing, great deep bass and nice highs and a very strong mid section. They are a great well-rounded speaker.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvos /forum/post/16957995

For those of you who have had their ears graced by the sweet and brutal sounds of the varied genre that is heavy metal, what speakers do you prefer? or what setup showcases the genre?

I vastly prefer my set-up with Ino audio speakers. The reason why is simple; they are extremly neutral and can play very loud with low distortion/compression. I can play Rage against the machine loud and it sounds extremely well when speaker like Monitor audio PL-300 sound extremely distorted and compressed at a lot lower levels.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvos /forum/post/16957995

I was able to demo some B&W CM7s with Opeth's Ghost Reveries. I wasn't able to play with the equalizer, but they seemed a bit soft/warm. Nevertheless, I still smiled as the second track's heavier riffs came in.

So what music do you enjoy in this genre and what is your setup?

Opeth. Seen them live 4 times. Great band. I like listening to metal/rock music on my Klipsch Chorus II's and now on my new JTR T8's. Both dynamic speakers. The upper resolution and the big midrange of the T8's still amazes me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I listen to iron maiden, tool, opeth, nin, mastodon, lamb of god, slayer, machine head, type o negative, etc. on some Salk SongTowers paired with an svs sub. I now have them sounding great at lower levels but yearn for that same kind of sq with louder volumes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.