AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought (4) DVD-Audio Discs now with Metallica's Black Album being the fourth. All have worked flawlessly except the fourth song on Metallica, "The Unforgiven", doesn't put out any sound. This song works in high res stereo, DTS, and DD 5.1, but not in high res surround. All other tracks work fine. I am using a Toshiba SD4700 DVD-A player. Has anyone else heard of this problem. I have exchanged the disc for a new one with the same results.

Thanks,

Howard Hogan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt,

Thanks for the reply, I thought I had heard of this problem with the Toshiba's on this disk and a couple of others, but haven't found any previous threads on this when I searched. It just seems wierd that all tracks work fine but that one, even after exchanging for a second disk. I guess i will just have to live with it.

Howard

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I just got the Black Album on DVD-A last month, thats my first DVD-A ever. The Unforgiven plays fine on my Philips 712 DVD video player. Howard, what are the other 3 Metallica DVDs you have? I love Metallica, nice hard rock that sounds good and gives any system a workout.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only have the Black Metallica, The other DVD-A I bought are Foreigner - Foreigner, Eagles - Hotel California, and Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me. I mentioned them because all tracks on all of these work except for The Unforgiven. Sorry to mislead you that there were more Metallica DVD-A's.

Since the problem only seems to appear on my set up, I guess I will just deal with it.

Howard

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem on my Toshiba SD5700. Try to press 'pause' on first seconds of that track and then 'play' again - it helps for me.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
hey howard h where did you purchase your dvd-a from in Utah?

i get mine from media play in Orem. that is the only local source i have found. I'm up to 15 titles now. I use a Panasonic RP-91 and not have had a problem with the metallica disc track 4.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Thanks okay Howard :) If you like Metallica I believe Best Buy has S&M in DVD-A. Thats next on my list. I got my Black Album DVD from Media Play too. I've only seen 2 other Metallica DVD-As. A Classics album at Best Buy for $20, which is a rip consideing it has the 5 biggest hits from the Black Album- Enter Sandman, Sad But True, The Unforgiven and 2 others that I cant remember and I got the Black Album for $23 which has 12 tracks. And, Im pretty sure that was S&M at Best Buy. I wish And Justice For All was on DVD-A, along with whatever album Sanitarium, Whiskey In A Jar and The Unforgiven II are on. If you really like The Unforgiven and dont wanna deal with the hassel you can always try the Classics album I mentioned, but IMO, its not worth it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bachelor,

I have bought my four DVD-A from the three Media Plays in the SLC area. As you have mentioned, Media Play is the only source I have found. We will have three Best Buys opening soon, maybe they will have a better selection.

As far as my problem with track 4, it sounds like a Toshiba problem, just seems wierd though because all other tracks play fine.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Im just the opposite Hob, I never head any songs by Def Leppard. Metallica is pretty good, IMHO and they are one of my favorite bands. I hate what they did to Napster, but I like their music. Some of their more softer stuff is pretty mellow and their hard stuff is all drums a guitar. One note- Most all Metallica songs can be linked in some way, shape or form to the subject of death.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I read this post this afternoon and then went to Best Buy and bought it. (my daughter works there so I get a good discount-if you have teen age kids put em to work!)

I also have a Toshiba 4700 so I was pretty curious. Well, guess what? Track 4 didn't play on mine either! BUT, I hit fast forward and it came on, so I hit play and it slowed down and began to play. Quirky huh? So try that, although you may not want to do that everytime you listen to the disk.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I know what you mean about BBs discount, one of the teachers at my school has a son that works in the stock room.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bburgoyne26,

I will give your fast forward suggestion a try tonight. Can you once the sound is working, hit the button to send it to the beginning of the track and the sound still works. I bet not!

Sounds definately like a Toshiba Bug.

Howard

·
Registered
272 Posts
Howard,

I guess it depends on how fast you can make your fingers work, kind of like a video game! Actually, with practice, I can hit fast forward as soon as the last song ends after the little pause then immediately hit play and it almost starts where it should.

Steve,

You work in a school too? We just started summer school today. I have done summer school for 4 years now hoping to pay off some "bills", but end up buying new HT toys instead! Maybe an SVS pc+ sub when they are ready....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bburgoyne26,

The fast forward trick worked for me also. And your right, if your fast enough you don't really miss anything. I guess I can live with doing that though I would really like to put on the DVD and just kick back and listen.

Thanks,

Howard

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Howard,

I just bought this DVD-A and have the same problem with my SD-5700. Like you stated, it plays fine with the other formats. I will to ask my dealer why this is but know they will suggest that I have done something wrong. I also have another problem with the player; at times while playing concert DVDs in DTS, I get a terrible sound from the rear right channel. Sounds like water rushing down a river at a very loud volume. Exchanged the unit and within about two hours later, the same thing happened.

The dealer claimed there was no "glitch" report with a problem from Toshiba but were surprised that they had two units doing the same thing. They attribute it to the way the DTS soundtrack is decoded. Sounds possible, however, I am somewhat skeptical.

It hasn't happened in a while so I guess I'm lucky. Pretty sure it will happen when I have some friends over. BTW, it occurs most frequently with Eric Clapton's Live in Hyde Park DVD, which is awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.