AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assembling my first HTPC and purchased a Silverstone Grandia GD05B case (mainly due to TV stand depth limitations).

I'm looking for a way to install an IR receiver on my HTPC in a way so that it is hidden. Is there a way to internally install a receiver on a case such as the Grandia GD05B so that a dongle or something of that nature won't be sticking out of the case? So far the only way I've seen to accomplish a nice, clean installation of an IR receiver would be to put it in a 5.25" bay is which I'm probably going to use for my blu ray drive.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What is the circular spot next to the power and reset buttons?

Is it an opening?

If you are handy with electronics repair you could possibly open up the IR module receiver and disconnect the IR LED from the board.

Drill a hole in the front panel and mount the LED in the hole. Connect the LED to the board using wires.

All that is a lot of work.

The easiest solution would be tape/velcro the IR dongle underneath the case and run the USB cable underneath to the back. Unobtrusive, invisible (unless you are looking at/for it) and takes less than 2 mins.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Doesn't look like there is enough clearance underneath for the dongle. I believe there is an area beneath the DVD drive cage where you could attempt a mod install. What I've found to be helpful is to mount it on the underside of the shelf above or below the case. This is how I have mine mounted and you have to get on your hands and knees to even find it. Heavy duty double-sided tape or industrial velcro (black) will work well for this.

BT

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/19639659

Doesn't look like there is enough clearance underneath for the dongle.

Well, it depends on the case feet and which dongle OP is looking to buy.

I have one from MS which is really big (the first MC remote, I believe) and another aftermarket dongle which is really tiny and barely 5-7 cms tall. That one would fit underneath most HTPC cases.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/19639659

Doesn't look like there is enough clearance underneath for the dongle. I believe there is an area beneath the DVD drive cage where you could attempt a mod install. What I've found to be helpful is to mount it on the underside of the shelf above or below the case. This is how I have mine mounted and you have to get on your hands and knees to even find it. Heavy duty double-sided tape or industrial velcro (black) will work well for this.

BT

Yeah I believe the velcro method is what I'm going to have to do. I don't think I'm experienced enough with modding to attempt to a mod install...I'd probably just end up destroying the case. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19640086

I have one from MS which is really big (the first MC remote, I believe) and another aftermarket dongle which is really tiny and barely 5-7 cms tall. That one would fit underneath most HTPC cases.

Hirent...would you be able to recommend a MCE remote with a small IR receiver dongle that I could use?

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Just run the IR receiver somewhere else away from the PC. You can even attach it under your stand or maybe behind your TV. Most of the time the IR can bounce off the wall and still get to the receiver. Just get a long enough USB cable and move it around until you are happy with it.

If you cram it in or under your case you'll probably lose line-of-sight to the IR receiver.

What I have is RF universal remote and have an IR emitter attached to the IR receiver. My IR receiver just sits behind the PC with all the other cables. No need to have line-of-sight with an RF remote.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19640086

I really hope you mean mm, rather than cm; 5-7 cm = 2 to 2.8 inches! None of my HTPCs have that kind of clearance beneath them.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsurulzes /forum/post/19750808

Not to bring up an old topic, but where can I buy a USB dongle without having to buy a remote also?

Ebay, Craigslist etc.

But by the time you factor in shipping its gonna cost at least $10.

MC Remotes can be had for less $20.

And it will be brand new and guaranteed to work (or replaced).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts