AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting construction on my theater very soon. I will be building a stage to place my speakers/subs on and wanted some advice on how to deaden the stage. I've seen a build where sand was used. My home is 90 years old and this seems like to much weight to put on the floor since the theater is above the basement. I'll be using 2x6s for the stage joists, would partially filling the spaces still be useful? What about a combination of sand with a lighter "filler", say lava rock or packing peanuts?

Thanks for the help

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts
Fill it with fluffy insulation. Build the top with 2-3 layers of 3/4 material with a layer of 30 lb roofing felt between layers. Set the subs on rubber pads. You could also consider putting Green Glue between the layers instead of the felt. If I was in your shoes I would.

If you know exactly where your sub will go you could think about just putting sand in the area right under the sub, it will help. Keep the framing for the stage away from the walls leave a pencil width gap and hide with carpet. You may also want to build the framing on rubber isolation Uboats to keep the vibration from the floor.

Image from the Soundproofing Company

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with Big. You'll want to do as much filling to the stage as possible. Leaving it partially filled might leave room for vibrations. If the sand seems to heavy, fluffy insualtion is always a good way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts