AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one amazing looking game, but damn does it take one hell of a rig to run. On my setup ([email protected]/Titan SLI/2560x1440) I can barely push 40-60fps with most of the settings jacked up to max.

Here are some benchmarks results from the included tool within the game.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
So what is it that kills framerate in engines like this and Far Cry 3, but something like Skyrim, with far draw distances and good textures, is smooth as silk. Lighting, or optimization maybe? From what I've seen, the Metro games aren't the most amazing graphics.

Tomb Raider is another example - it has pretty solid framerates most areas, but will hit sections with mountains or complex scenery in the background and if the Level of Detail slider is on Ultra or even High, the framerate tanks.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Have the game installed but want to finish Metro 2033 before diving into this one. Just have a couple more missions to finish.

I was hoping Last Light would be a little better optimized. I can run Metro 2033 at 60fps with occasional dips with my dual-670 SLI config at near-max settings. Hoping I can get a steady 50-60 fps @ 1080p in Metro Last Light with a few settings dialed down.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ  /t/1472662/metro-last-light#post_23314149

So what is it that kills framerate in engines like this and Far Cry 3, but something like Skyrim, with far draw distances and good textures, is smooth as silk. Lighting, or optimization maybe? From what I've seen, the Metro games aren't the most amazing graphics.

Tomb Raider is another example - it has pretty solid framerates most areas, but will hit sections with mountains or complex scenery in the background and if the Level of Detail slider is on Ultra or even High, the framerate tanks.

Could be a million and one things Dave....a lot of the European developers just build their own engines, rather than license something, like, Unreal or what have you. They want to build a solid engine with lots of bells and whistles and then market it. Crytek? Operation Flashpoint/ARMA? Metro? STALKER? All in-house developed, all had ****tacular performance on the machines of their age (middle machines anyhow).

Its not really changed over the years, they've all made amazing games, and usually those games have elements that push some kind of limit that US developers or companies that cater to the US market don't want to risk...they'd rather license an engine and churn out a 'consistent product for consumption'. These guys tend to take their time and craft something artistic....or something unique.....but usually the performance suffers because in many cases these engines haven't had years and years of optimization.

The Metro 2033 engine was pretty enough that, at least from memory, they could have released another game on the technology, it will come down to some fundamental questions of what are you *really* losing when you turn off an effect. It could very well be that you aren't missing much by turning off one effect or another, and I'm sure at some point they will release a patch to address some of the issues.

I remember Metro 2033, you turned off tesselation and relatively low-polygon objects like pouches on vests became more rounded......but you lost 20fps as a result
Etc.....

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 

I was hoping Last Light would be a little better optimized. I can run Metro 2033 at 60fps with occasional dips with my dual-670 SLI config at near-max settings. Hoping I can get a steady 50-60 fps @ 1080p in Metro Last Light with a few settings dialed down.

With your system at 1920x1080, you should get a solid 60fps with SSAA disabled and everything else at max. Advanced PhysX will dip things though.

In my opinion, the lighting and texture quality are spectacular.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83  /t/1472662/metro-last-light/0_50#post_23314632

With your system at 1920x1080, you should get a solid 60fps with SSAA disabled and everything else at max. Advanced PhysX will dip things though.

In my opinion, the lighting and texture quality are spectacular.

Sounds good, but got to leave PhysX enabled...it's one of the main reasons to own an Nvidia card

I got Last Light for free when I ordered my 670 card....I hope that includes the pre-order DLC.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75  /t/1472662/metro-last-light#post_23315032

Sounds good, but got to leave PhysX enabled...it's one of the main reasons to own an Nvidia card

Yes, GPU-based PhysX is definitely worthwhile in this game.

The only thing that's a real performance hog for modern high-end cards is SSAA, and it obviously adds very little compared to everything else. I would much rather get an almost constant 60fps (vsync enabled) without it than a mostly 40-50fps with it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83  /t/1472662/metro-last-light/0_50#post_23315440

Yes, GPU-based PhysX is definitely worthwhile in this game.

The only thing that's a real performance hog for modern high-end cards is SSAA, and it obviously adds very little compared to everything else. I would much rather get an almost constant 60fps (vsync enabled) without it than a mostly 40-50fps with it.

Yeah, I agree. Have you tried enabling FXAA from the Nvidia control panel to see what that looks like in-game? Also have you tried the latest beta drivers that came out today for this game?

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Just started it up this morning. FX-8350, vanilla GTX 660, Normal preset, solid 1080p 60fps. I ran at High for a minute, but there were too many dips to 55fps (oh noes!
). Character self-shadowing is the only thing that I notice as obviously lower quality by dropping down that step in presets. Just as a counter-point to the previous comments, a $180 CPU and $180 GPU runs this game just fine.

Did anyone notice a config utility outside of the game, or are we really just restricted to the in-game presets? I'd like to leave everything at Normal but turn on better SSAO and skin shading to see if I can pick up those enhancements without giving up my 60fps.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames  /t/1472662/metro-last-light/0_50#post_23315807

"Have you tried enabling FXAA from the Nvidia control panel to see what that looks like in-game?"

The article that you yourself linked to earlier says that FXAA is always on natively regardless of preset.

Yeah, looks like no need to enable from Nvidia control panel. I've heard though that SSAA kills performance. Based on the screenshots I've seen, the visual improvement is only minimal and not worth the performance degradation.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames  /t/1472662/metro-last-light/0_50#post_23315745

Just started it up this morning. FX-8350, vanilla GTX 660, Normal preset, solid 1080p 60fps. I ran at High for a minute, but there were too many dips to 55fps (oh noes!
). Character self-shadowing is the only thing that I notice as obviously lower quality by dropping down that step in presets. Just as a counter-point to the previous comments, a $180 CPU and $180 GPU runs this game just fine.

Did anyone notice a config utility outside of the game, or are we really just restricted to the in-game presets? I'd like to leave everything at Normal but turn on better SSAO and skin shading to see if I can pick up those enhancements without giving up my 60fps.

Saw this posted in the Steam forums:

http://gsngaming.com/topic/9669-metro-last-light-sweetfx-v14/

Might give you what you are looking for.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"Might give you what you are looking for"

Nah, I found the config file in AppData. I'll just have to dig around a second and see which variables control the settings I want to modify. They seemed to be named somewhat sensibly on first glance, but I haven't fiddled with it yet.

·
Registered
16,831 Posts
Very slick presentation but then I expected that based upon 2033, gameplay is similar but feels improved (about 45 minutes in).

Jason

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I'm about 2 hours in and having a great time. Guns sound is soooo weak. Getting an average of 55 fps with everything on max 2560 x 1600, can't complain.

·
Registered
16,831 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts