Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone-

I got a chance to play with the New Sony kf42WE610 42" LCD RPTV Tuesday; and I thought I would post some of my observations about these new models.

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro.../KP42WE610.jpg

MY IMPRESSION:

My first impression was not good; It is well known I am not a big fan of LCD technology and I did not expect much. (boy was I surprised- Keep reading)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300580

When the 42" came out of the box, one of my co-workers picked it up and put it on display himself with no help. He came walking over to me with a 42" RPTV in his hands- I was amazed. This is by far the thinnest RPTV I have ever seen. It's almost exactly 1 FOOT deep. It is also one of the lightest. With these dimensions, I would think many could place it on top of their fireplace mantle instead of paying twice as much for a plasma that mounts above it on the wall.

The bad:( is that the cabinet is not as attractive as last years GWII XBR800. The black boarder is more darker Grey than jet black and is no longer high gloss and shinny smooth like the XBR800. I did not care for this.

The screen is different and has much less glare than Last years GWII. It is more Samsung DLP like, than GWII like.

Now was time for me to see how bad a picture it was going to make (based on my impressions of the GWII out of the box) Man was I surprised!

Most here at AVS are erroneous in thinking that LCD makes more light output than CRT or DLP. A 51" Hitachi SWX CRT is brighter at 65% contrast than a GWII XBR800 on 100% contrast- every time. Well- This 42" Sony LCD throws out some serious light! This was the first thing I noticed. I assume it was because of the 42" Size compared to the 60" and 50" Models I was used to seeing.... and more light per square inch of screen.

The smaller size of the KF42WE610 gave the image an impact and snap that the 50" and 60" LCD models lack.

Sony has installed new filters to improve contrast an additional 20% (green and red filters) and the blacks are definitely better than last years models... and compared to the Panny LC13 that was next to it- It really was no contest at all. The Sony KF42WE610 had a much better picture out of the box... more light, better color, better blacks and looked sharper.

GOOD NEWS- The "screen door effect" that I hated so much on the 60" GWII XBR800 and the Hitachi 60V500 is a "NON-ISSUE" with this 42" size. I could not see it with my glasses on, and 20/20 vision from 6 feet away. Again- compared to the value model LCD Panny PT50LC13 next to it.. which had screen door- The 42" Sony bested it in this area by a very wide margin.

The Sony had much better greyscale calibration out of the box than the Panny or the Hitachi V500. On "COOL" the picture was- Well, BLUE. But, it was much better than Panny or Hitachi out of the box, and colors looked better. On Warm- (the correct setting) it was much closer to D6500K than either the Hitachi or the Panny. GOOD JOB SONY! It also had alot less Red Push than either the PT50LC13 or 50V500- Color can be cranked to 60% and faces still looked OK to me. This was great.

Bad News: The blacks, while way better than last year and better than the Hitachi and Much Much better than the Panny PT50LC13- Still had the color to them.

Blacks had that infamous "blue" hue to them, slightly Purple but mostly blue. Black was not Black- It was midnight blue black. I am sure this can be calibrated out- but I immediately noticed this on HDNET with old sitcom playing in upconverted 1080i (Hogan's Heroes?)

And, The Hitachi 51S500 a couple RPTV's over (slightly calibrated by me :) ) showed alot more shadow details in the darks still. I could make out clearly details and see wrinkles and cloth separation on a dark tuxedo suit a man was wearing on DiscoverHD (wedding story program or something) on the Hitachi 51S500, and all three of the LCD RPTVs (Sony, Hitachi, Panny) crushed these details out by making all these darks into the same shade of black- to the point where it was simply a solid black outline and no details or separation of the collar or pockets or trim could be distinguished from the other parts of the Tuxedo. Obvious black crush; But the Sony kf42WE610 looked still- Much better to me than the other LCD's I was comparing it too. Again- Perhaps because of the 42" Size.

When the outdoor wedding shot came on... the 42" LCD Sony had a beautiful highly saturated color image that had an impact far beyond any other LCD RPTV I have ever seen! It was noticeably brighter than the other Two LCD's, even brighter than the Samsung HLN507W a few models over too. And, it had great color saturation, screen uniformity and glare reduction.

The Sony 42' had a different look to it's picture- I would say a more aggressive delivery of HDTV than conventional CRT or even DLP. Brighter and snappier, more color... sharper- It was perhaps overdone. Very plasma like. It was not accurate- I would NOT enjoy this 42" LCD in a dark room watching a dvd movie. But- It would be ideal for HDTV during the day or with the lights on. Great color and brightness.

Another thing I was noticing- It was noticeably sharper, appeared sharper than the 50" LCD's. While it has less screen door, it was also sharper. I am quite sure this was because of the smaller 42" size, extra light, and smaller pixels.

A few hours later- My car stereo department finished building the matching Sony Stand model SUGW2. The TV looked nice on this stand, which is basically the same as the SUGW1 stand- But smaller (like 45" wide and 14" deep) I was pleased to see the back was cut at an angle to accommodate being placed Deeper in a corner. This RPTV is going to sell because it's going to fit where almost no other RPTV's will.

Well- Not being a fan of LCD technology, and not expecting very much I was very impressed with this new Sony LCD 42" WE610. It had a nice picture, very bright and sharp with excellent color- Coupled with extremely attractive cabinet dimensions, form factor, weight, and digital display advantages (progressive fixed pixel design vs interlaced -and no burn in)

While the Sony KF42WE610 certainly still lacks in black level details behind DLP and CRT, and the LCD technology does have it many negative drawbacks- including reliability- What this little LCD RPTV gives up it makes up for with a bright sharp image with good color, and it's going to fit and look nice where people want it to go.:)

I was impressed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm curious as to how much of this praise for the Sony is due to the fact that it's a 42" vs 50" for Panny and Hitachi? I know the 42" I saw at CC did look a lot crisper and brighter than the 50" Panny and Hitachi they had on display. I did get to see a 50" on display at another store and it didn't look nearly as good, but that was due to the source material being vastly worse.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the imput Mfusick!

How does the image quality of the 50-inch set compare to the 42-inch model? Is the screen-door affect also absent from the 5o-inch set and is it about as bright?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Now that you've placated us LCD owners, tell us what you really think :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
TO BE CONTINUED.......

you guys won't even wait for me to finish this....

LOL
Stop with the small talk and get that review done! Please.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by doggiedog
Now that you've placated us LCD owners, tell us what you really think :)
That is what I really think.

It does not have the best picture quality ever... But it looks very good and it's going to provide a nice solution to people looking for the benifits it provides.

If you watch alot of horror movies... Find a different tv. Other than the blacks... it really has a nice picture. The blacks are much improved too- So I won't totally bash it.;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
And, The Hitachi 51S500 a couple RPTV's over (slightly calibrated by me :) ) showed alot more shadow details in the darks still. I could make out clearly details and see wrinkles and cloth separation on a dark tuxedo suit a man was wearing on DiscoverHD (wedding story program or something) on the Hitachi 51S500, and all three of the LCD RPTVs (Sony, Hitachi, Panny) crushed these details out by making all these darks into the same shade of black- to the point where it was simply a solid black outline and no details or separation of the collar or pockets or trim could be distinguished from the other parts of the Tuxedo. Obvious black crush; But the Sony kf42WE610 looked still- Much better to me than the other LCD's I was comparing it too. Again- Perhaps because of the 42" Size.
Could this be related to "black expansion" or some similar thing? I noticed significant black crush--enough to swallow up three to five grayscale bars at the low end of the "reverse gray ramps" test pattern on DVE--with even low black expansion enabled on the Hitachi 50v500. On the other hand, with brightness set properly, I could easily make out all bars from black to white. Blacks may not have been as dark as the would be on a CRT, but I think the Hitachi should be able to produce shadow detail when properly adjusted.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
The only thing I would disagree on is that (without comparing side by side) I think the Sony is now very close, if not as good, in blacks as the Sammys.

Regarding the size, they are quite slim. In the specs the 50" unit lists at 17 3/4", but the lip that sticks out at the front base of the set for stability is three inches. The set itself is only about 15" deep from the screen to the back of the cabinet.

ron

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by R11
The only thing I would disagree on is that (without comparing side by side) I think the Sony is now very close, if not as good, in blacks as the Sammys.

DLP is still better for blacks..... LCD does not have black levels of CRT or DLP.

You can disagree with me, but it's almost fact

·
Registered
980 Posts
Have you seen the 50" yet?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Will you publish a review? Also, do you feel that 42" is better than the others because its smaller thereby reducing its visible faults?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes- I think the 42" Size helps.

I don't know if I will bother to post about the 50" because I only got a chance to play with it really quick- and was not impressed that much. Same ol' same ol'-

I would not own the 50" version- I think the cabinet is ugly, as is the dark grey flat boarder... and the picture is nothing great either....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Quote:
I would not own the 50" version
We all know that you wouldnt own the 42" version. I was just hoping to hear more from you. There is nothing better than a good review from someone who inherently dislikes the product ;)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually- I need a HDTV for my living room. The focal point of the room is the fireplace. I was thinking about Plasma above the fireplace... it just makes the most sense for the room.

I could actually place the 42" LCD Sony ontop of the fireplace it's so small.. an have the same PQ and look as HDTV plasma for half the price...

hmmm...........

·
Registered
980 Posts
say it aint so. If you buy an lcd you must change your name to "umr rulez"

·
Registered
421 Posts
You really feel that there is that much difference between the 50" and 42" sets? I'm also confused about your comments about the cabinets. Wouldn't the 50 and 42" sets use the same type of cabinets?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Yes- I think the 42" Size helps.

I don't know if I will bother to post about the 50" because I only got a chance to play with it really quick- and was not impressed that much. Same ol' same ol'-

I would not own the 50" version- I think the cabinet is ugly, as is the dark grey flat boarder... and the picture is nothing great either....
What in the world are you talking about, man? The 42" and 50" cabinet and internals are virtually identical. The only difference is that the 42" is projected onto a smaller screen, which results in a smaller (duh) and slightly brighter picture. I just got back from an hour of comparing the 42" and 50" side-by-side, with identical settings, on HDNet, SHO HD, and the Good Guys demo loop (which is real HD). While I did think the 42" was a little brighter, they had pretty much identical PQ. Set them up next to each other and you'll see what I mean.

If you want to do a review of the 50", just cut and paste your review above and add, "it's not quite as bright as the 42"." ;)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ineedanewtv
You really feel that there is that much difference between the 50" and 42" sets? I'm also confused about your comments about the cabinets. Wouldn't the 50 and 42" sets use the same type of cabinets?
Yes. I like the 42" better.

They look the same, both are ugly. I do not like the new cabinet as much as the 50" XBR800 from last year. I thought I was clear in my post.

42" and 50" are same.... 42" is just smaller- still just as ugly:p

1 - 20 of 254 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.