AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks guys, you helped me with my decision to get this sub. I like it

Question is I have a new Denon 1909 receiver(Very Solid) that has all that audyssey multi eq and that fancy stuff. So after the auto setup is done I am wondering if that is good enough or do I have to do some other manual adjustments, for the sub? After the setup is completed I had to turn down the gain on the sub to around 9:30 10:00 or I would get distortion from the sub at certain movie scenes. Is that normal? I wasn't expecting that but I suppose It was turned up too much.

One other thing why do women hate bass??? Wierd

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Where is the sub gain adjustment on your AVR? If you are on the plus side (+3 db) turning it down to -6 db and turning the MFW up to noon or so may help. AVRs can distort the signal above 0 db.

I have found with my wife that bass is great during music she wants to hear. Any other time it is too loud. I can't wait to have my own room where I can do what the hell I want. I have tried telling her that our system should sound real. If a bomb explodes it is supposed to scare you. I always say "Movie Theaters are louder and you don't complain there". That usually gets her to shut up for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I also have a Denon 1909 and MFW-15. This is an issue with Audyssey boosting the subsonic frequencies.

Here is a REW graph with Audyssey:

I used an eD eQ.2 subwoofer EQ to boost the lower frequencies and fool Audyssey into not boosting as much. Then re-ran Audyssey calibraton.

Results:

Then used the two EQ bands from the eQ.2 to reduce remaining peaks (Note: I removed the previous boost on the eQ.2 after running Audyssey).

End Results:

You should use REW (or do it by hand with a SPL Meter) to plot out your FR. I bet you will find similar boosting. It was eating up my headroom. Now I have plenty of headroom and no issue with distortion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am not sure if the wife will let me buy an EQ but I may have to. I see what you are saying, about the 1909 boosting the low freq. The sub seems to sound great then it will have that really low bass that seems overdone. Good idea about the tricking audyssey..

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud84ro /forum/post/17052607

Would running audyssey calib without the sub connected be a good idea? So it wouldn't boost the lower freq.

You still want Audyssey to EQ the sub. Just don't want it boosting down low. Audyssey dedicates more of its processing power to the sub EQ and does a nice job (except the subsonic boost). I still think and external EQ is the best solution.

The eD eQ.2 is $100 and gives you two EQ bands and a nice subsonic filter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I have everything and I am gonna start REW tomorrow but I am wondering how you got REW to graph you sub when using audyssey, and what you used to make the noise? I am to the point that I am gonna make measurements but that is in stereo without audyssey.

By the way the MFW is getting broke in and it just keeps getting louder and louder

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud84ro /forum/post/17215467

OK I have everything and I am gonna start REW tomorrow but I am wondering how you got REW to graph you sub when using audyssey, and what you used to make the noise? I am to the point that I am gonna make measurements but that is in stereo without audyssey.

By the way the MFW is getting broke in and it just keeps getting louder and louder

You can turn audyssey off or on while the 1909 is in stereo mode through the remote. You can measure it both ways to see exactly what audyssey is doing. Be sure to disconnect your L an R speakers so you'll be getting response from the sub only.

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat /forum/post/17039978

I also have a Denon 1909 and MFW-15. This is an issue with Audyssey boosting the subsonic frequencies.

Here is a REW graph with Audyssey:

I used an eD eQ.2 subwoofer EQ to boost the lower frequencies and fool Audyssey into not boosting as much. Then re-ran Audyssey calibraton.

Results:

Then used the two EQ bands from the eQ.2 to reduce remaining peaks (Note: I removed the previous boost on the eQ.2 after running Audyssey).

End Results:

You should use REW (or do it by hand with a SPL Meter) to plot out your FR. I bet you will find similar boosting. It was eating up my headroom. Now I have plenty of headroom and no issue with distortion.

Audyssey doesn't *always* boost the infrasonics. In fact, some users complain that Audyssey *reduces* the bass too much. While your graphs are interesting, they are only a single position. You could have *completely* different response at other positions inches or feet away, with more or less infrasonic energy.

If you want to use something like REW to confirm Audyssey's results, and/or to adjust them with another EQ, you need to measure multiple locations, (presumably, the same multiple positions you used for your Audyssey run), then average the results. Even this won't do what Audyssey does, because Audyssey uses much more than simple averaging to integrate the multiple measured responses into a composite and then set filters to EQ over the entire listening area, (as opposed to a single spot).

To the OP, please check the Audyssey Setup Guide to ensure that you've setup Audyssey properly:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Craig

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've had issues with Audyssey in the past on my Onkyo 705. If it feels the need to reduce the gain on the sub, it also boosts the high frequencies and the resulting sound is shrill. If it feels the need to boost the gain on the sub, it actually lowers the high frequencies and you get an inverse of the previous problem.

Just do one sweep with Audyssey (or three as is the minimum allowed with my Onkyo) and note where it set the gain for the sub (i.e. -3dB or +3dB). Lower or raise the volume on the sub accordingly. Keep doing this until the result you get from Audyssey is 0dB for the subwoofer. Then start the Audyssey calibration all over again but this time moving the microphone to each of the eight prompted positions of the MultEQ XT setup. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/17215738

Audyssey doesn't *always* boost the infrasonics. In fact, some users complain that Audyssey *reduces* the bass too much. While your graphs are interesting, they are only a single position. You could have *completely* different response at other positions inches or feet away, with more or less infrasonic energy.

If you want to use something like REW to confirm Audyssey's results, and/or to adjust them with another EQ, you need to measure multiple locations, (presumably, the same multiple positions you used for your Audyssey run), then average the results. Even this won't do what Audyssey does, because Audyssey uses much more than simple averaging to integrate the multiple measured responses into a composite and then set filters to EQ over the entire listening area, (as opposed to a single spot).

To the OP, please check the Audyssey Setup Guide to ensure that you've setup Audyssey properly:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Craig

This is all true. But, I've run through all my test scenes with heavy low end and I no longer have any issues with the sub distorting at my normal listening level. So, I've been pleased with the end result. I do realize I'm not seeing the whole picture with my REW graphs. But without too much trouble I was able to fix a real annoying issue with my particular setup. Thanks for the detailed input on the subject.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here it is without auddsey

Do you guys think I should do something or does this look good enough that I wouldn't hear a diff if I bought an eq and tamed the big peaks

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud84ro /forum/post/17218156

Here it is without auddsey

Do you guys think I should do something or does this look good enough that I wouldn't hear a diff if I bought an eq and tamed the big peaks

Thanks for your input

Your second pic doesn't show up. Not even when I copy/past the link.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud84ro /forum/post/17038530

Thanks guys, you helped me with my decision to get this sub. I like it

Question is I have a new Denon 1909 receiver(Very Solid) that has all that audyssey multi eq and that fancy stuff. So after the auto setup is done I am wondering if that is good enough or do I have to do some other manual adjustments, for the sub? After the setup is completed I had to turn down the gain on the sub to around 9:30 10:00 or I would get distortion from the sub at certain movie scenes. Is that normal? I wasn't expecting that but I suppose It was turned up too much.

One other thing why do women hate bass??? Wierd

The AV123 MFW-15 is on my short list. I have a Denon 3810CI, so we have a similar setup. How do you like the sub? What size is your room?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My room is 13X18 with 9' ceilings that opens up into an office 7x9 and also into a hallway 4 x 26 and also opens up to the stairs that go upstairs.

I like the sub alot. I was debating between this and the EDa350 (bstock)for around the same price but from looking at craigsub and other peoples reviews I had to go with this one, It puts out alot of sound and it sounds good. Movies get very shake the couch loud and I like it alot.

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp /forum/post/17219193

... but you may still want to look into hooking up an equalizer to your sub.

Why? It looks like he's +/- 3 dB from 30 Hz up, with a slight rising low end, (a nice "house curve"). His response dips above 60 hz, so I presume he's using a 60 Hz crossover?

Bud84ro, how does it sound? Also, have you measured any locations besides this one? Can you set the graph to show the response below 20 Hz?

Craig

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.