AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I think I should Probably introduce myself. I'm Conner, and this is my first DIY build. I've been doing a lot of research and looking at different possible uses for what I currently have and I think I've come up with something that fits my needs. I have an mfw 15 lying around that I want to put in a sealed box. It's going to be used 95% of the time for music, and so a sealed box is fine with me because I don't really have to go below 30Hz for the majority of the content I'll be using it for. I modeled it in WinISD (as well as looked at other MFW builds) and I think that 3 ft^3 sealed would do the trick. The only question i really have is about stuffing. I've looked through other posts and think I know how much I would use for this box size, but I'm wondering how the increase in apparent box volume would affect the driver. I definitely (if possible) would like to be within xmax down to 20-25 Hz with a 250W signal. Modeling in WinISD, I achieve that with the 3 ft^3 box, but was wondering if excursion would increase with added stuffing?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
hi, welcome. adding stuffing reduces the q of the enclosure, it does not cause the enclosure to function like a larger enclosure even though that is what most folks believe. the confusion comes from the fact that a larger enclosure will also have a reduced q. in winisd you can model adding lots of stuffing my clicking on "advanced" under the qtc on the "box" tab and changing qa from 100 to a value between about 5 and 10. q will go down, but ultimate driver excursion does not go up. bottom line...3 cubic feet and that driver are fine with 250 watts sealed and stuffed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts