AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my brother's MFW-15 today and would like to see what the DIYer would recommend as a replacement driver that will work with the existing amp. I don't care to upgrade the amp (I think).

I have the replacement amp which was the new design. Unfortunately, it blew its fuse right off the bat back in August.

Once I got it home this afternoon, I noticed that the driver is frozen in place in the "in" position. The only thing that makes much sense is that it somehow got sucked in and melted the voice coil which kept it there. That might have been the original amp's doings.

In any event, I've got a call in to AV123 to see what they're willing to do as it should still be in warranty.

But I would like to look at my other options which would be to get an appropriate drive to go in it.

I'm aware of the turbo upgrades that are due to come out shortly, but I'm not interested in going that high powered.

Suggestions for a driver?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
For anyone else looking I just read someone at AV123 replaced theirs with a Tempest-X and was happy with the results. I personally wouldn't recommend doing so (if you're looking at replacing the driver with something different I'd say why stop there, let's DIY this SOB!
) but that may work for someone just looking to throw another driver in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R /forum/post/0

I blew the 15 in MFW and called for a replacement and they quoted me a price but I ended up sourcing another 15 as I felt the woofer was pretty crappy to begin with. So I ended up with a Tempest X and it's more than I could ask for. I might even pick up the other one in the classifieds I'm that happy with it. The driver on the original, just isn't up to par IMHO.. but for a sub that price it's to be expected..

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap /forum/post/0

Does that driver play nice with the stock amp? I've read many posts saying that the driver and amp had been designed to work together, and that any replacement might not.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R /forum/post/0

Yes, very nice. Where the stock driver would bottom out the tempest just keeps on rocking. I actually had to turn the LFE output down because it would shake the house too much. I was thinking about adding another one or two but don't think I really need to now...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have any connections with AV123? Now that they are out of business, I've got a problem. I sent in my amp from my MFW-15 to them Aug 6th. I called to check back on Aug. 18th, and they are out of business. So now they are auctioning everything off and I have no idea where my amp is. Any ideas? The phone number for AV123 is out of service and I even tried to get a hold of Kyle through a google search. Anyone know someone there personally, that might have a clue?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gnbaron,

Have you thought about checking with UPS or whoever you shipped it with to see if they actually got it delivered. If its in shipper limbo, there might be a chance that you can get it back from them.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnbaron /forum/post/19104672

Anyone have any connections with AV123? Now that they are out of business, I've got a problem. I sent in my amp from my MFW-15 to them Aug 6th. I called to check back on Aug. 18th, and they are out of business. So now they are auctioning everything off and I have no idea where my amp is. Any ideas? The phone number for AV123 is out of service and I even tried to get a hold of Kyle through a google search. Anyone know someone there personally, that might have a clue?

Might want to contact QSC systems in Longmont, CO (different company from QSC Audio in CA). I believe there was a link in one of the sub forum threads. They were doing the repair work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.