AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have an av123 MFW-15 subwoofer. I bought it in January. I am hearing the sub pop several times when it's on. What could be causing this? Is this something that normally happens on these subs?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Does the popping occur just when the sub is on but nothing's played through it?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue /forum/post/18283572

Hey guys. I have an av123 MFW-15 subwoofer. I bought it in January. I am hearing the sub pop several times when it's on. What could be causing this? Is this something that normally happens on these subs?

I don't get popping noises either.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My different brand subwoofer starting doing the popping (and some low-level cracking) after nine years. I think the problem is due to at least one failing capacitor (and possibly several other parts) in the amplifier.

To fix it yourself, you would need a service manual and a volt/ohm meter and to do some soldering.

Life is easier for amplifiers that are under warranty. Because of very high labor costs, it is not typically cost-effective to take the amplifier to a repair shop.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue /forum/post/18283572

I had the same issue on my 2nd MFW, it's the auto-on/off circuit. During idle times it goes into standbye too soon causing the popping sound you hear. For now, turn the sub to the on position and then power it off when you're done.

Contact Kyle at AV123 and have him replace the amp.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/18286842

I had the same issue on my 2nd MFW, it's the auto-on/off circuit. During idle times it goes into standbye too soon causing the popping sound you hear. For now, turn the sub to the on position and then power it off when you're done.

Contact Kyle at AV123 and have him replace the amp.

I thought I heard Kyle left the company.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had an odd popping in one of my mfw's and it turned out to be a loose joint between the wire from the amp and the tab on the driver. The popping would come and go, and when it was there it would mess everything up. The solder joint was very low quality, so I could see that being a problem for others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts