AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

There is only a small group of people who've seen both the PB12-NSD and the MWF-15 in person... which looks nicer?

I'm very interested in both of these subs, and whichever I buy it's going into my living room so the WAF is pretty important.

Is the MWF-15 somewhat glossy? It's hard to find any good pictures of the MWF-15 in black besides these:

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=27472

And the pictures of the PB12-NSD that I can find from SVS show it to have a bit of a matte finish.

Man, I wish craigsub had gotten been able to test the "new" version of the PB12-NSD before shutting down his operation... that might have made things a little easier.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
MWF-15 according to the ranking destroys pb12 in sound in every way. They're both black boxes, difference in looks is negligible. But if looks are that important to you, mwf-15 can be bought with one of wood veneer choices, for an extra $100.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack /forum/post/12914737

..so can the PB..

Actually, you have to get to the Plus series for veneer...White, Black or Silver for the NSD.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/12914681

MWF-15 according to the ranking destroys pb12 in sound in every way.

But wasn't that the older version of the PB12 that craigsub ranked? The newer version gets better reviews...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsion /forum/post/12914940

But wasn't that the older version of the PB12 that craigsub ranked? The newer version gets better reviews...

Still, there's no way in hell it will match mwf-15 if it was ranked accurately

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Looking at the pictures ( above ) gives me a few crazy ideas. Imagine offering a leather front baffle on the MFW-15 with a grill resembling the look of the Sonus Faber Cremona line ?

Just an idea.

--Regards,

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten /forum/post/12915281

Looking at the pictures ( above ) gives me a few crazy ideas. Imagine offering a leather front baffle on the MFW-15 with a grill resembling the look of the Sonus Faber Cremona line ?

Just an idea.

--Regards,

That's a good idea. I would even suggest removable skins like those ipods or iphones. SVS gets it right when it comes to the matching grills of their white, silver and black subs. When I buy a speaker or sub of a certain color, I want the whole thing to be that color including the grill. I just don't understand the obsession with that ordinary, trite, mass-market, low-end black color. Speaker manufacturers might give you different colors for the speakers but the grill always give you black grills.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 /forum/post/12915357

That's a good idea. I would even suggest removable skins like those ipods or iphones. SVS gets it right when it comes to the matching grills of their white, silver and black subs. When I buy a speaker or sub of a certain color, I want the whole thing to be that color including the grill. I just don't understand the obsession with that ordinary, trite, mass-market, low-end black color. Speaker manufacturers might give you different colors for the speakers but the grill always give you black grills.

Hmm, I see your point, but making it all ONE color would kinda look weird imo. I think say, a wood grain sub with a black grill looks awesome.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks OUMoneyMan for that other picture... I didn't realize that the SVS was that black textured vinyl.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsion /forum/post/12914940

If you can wait for 2 months plus go for MFW-15. If you want a sub now go for PB12-NSD.

You won't be dissappointed with PB12-NSD.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just for fun and some information, in the early stages of development, the MFW-15 was conceived with interchangeable fronts. Photo taken back in late 2006.

The idea is still floating around

(If this post is not OK according to the mod, sorry and hit the "delete" button, Mr. Mod
).

I'm Mark's partner in his plant in South America.

Santiago

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacruz /forum/post/12923267

Just for fun and some information, in the early stages of development, the MFW-15 was conceived with interchangeable fronts. Photo taken back in late 2006.

The idea is still floating around

(If this post is not OK according to the mod, sorry and hit the "delete" button, Mr. Mod
).

I'm Mark's partner in his plant in South America.

Santiago

While this is a great idea that I am sure many stylish people will appreciate, I think an interchangeable grill, if not too costly, is even more effective. A piano black speaker, for example, will look stunning with a glossy white, red, or green grill. That's my idea of beauty anyway. The point is AV equipments can and should look as beautiful as they sound

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/12925685

Do you mean they stun the 350, the knight and the mwf-15 ?

May be not based on one mans ranking. I have already mentioned if OP can wait MFW-15 is the way to go at the same time PB12-NSD will give your choices

run for their money. Let somebody else come ikka type of testing results then I

will agree.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I eventually bought a PB12-NSD, and it looks better in my room than the picture above would indicate. The finish is black textured vinyl, but it's quite tasteful and durable.

Very pleased with the look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts