AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, figured i'd ask the experts before pulling the trigger on a pair of Spuds. How do you guys think my 4 (working
) MFW's would stack up against a pair of TH spuds?? Ive never had a chance to demo a THT sub so im not sure what to expect. I know they have tons of output but are a little short on the really low stuff. Though Danley specs these guys out to 17hz, plus whatever else i get from room gain. Any thoughts/advice on this comparison would be very much appreciated, as this would be a completely blind buy.

THANKS GUYS!!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
the spuds are pretty room dependent and will most likely still be working in 6 months.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you have a response graph for the MFW-15? Here's the response of a TH-SPUD:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

• Output will likely go to the danleys.
  • However if looks are at all important then the the MFWs might gain a little.
  • Reliability is a moot point, there is plenty of support for them at this point.
  • Possibly a further nod to the MFWs for a flatter response b/c you could distribute them more.
  • I think the MFWs will yield a flatter response out of the box without EQ.
  • If I were buying(I have a screen wall to hide the monster horns) I would buy the Danleys, but the MFWs(which I have) have their benefits as well.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi /forum/post/19626254
  • Output will likely go to the danleys.
  • However if looks are at all important then the the MFWs might gain a little.
  • Reliability is a moot point, there is plenty of support for them at this point.
  • Possibly a further nod to the MFWs for a flatter response b/c you could distribute them more.
  • I think the MFWs will yield a flatter response out of the box without EQ.
  • If I were buying(I have a screen wall to hide the monster horns) I would buy the Danleys, but the MFWs(which I have) have their benefits as well.

Thanks Nick, you make some good points. Let me ask you this, would you sell your MFW's for the Spuds?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 /forum/post/19626298

Thanks Nick, you make some good points. Let me ask you this, would you sell your MFW's for the Spuds?

Um, a straight swap 4 MFWs for 2 Danleys, I'd say yes.

If I had to invest more and sell the MFWs, I might wait and see what happens with the Elusive turbo upgrade........

Edit: Also HSU has a new ported sub that looks pretty stout. Four of those should do the trick too.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi /forum/post/19626395

Um, a straight swap 4 MFWs for 2 Danleys, I'd say yes.

If I had to invest more and sell the MFWs, I might wait and see what happens with the Elusive turbo upgrade........

Edit: Also HSU has a new ported sub that looks pretty stout. Four of those should do the trick too.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.........

I saw the HSU, but 4 of those would be WAY more cash then I'd be spending on the dual Danleys.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Are you limited to these two. There may be some DTS 10's on the market.

There are lots of other options. 4 of what you have are hard to beat.

Sorry if I missed it but were you buying the used Danleys.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/19627797

Are you limited to these two. There may be some DTS 10's on the market.

There are lots of other options. 4 of what you have are hard to beat.

Sorry if I missed it but were you buying the used Danleys.

If could find some used DTS-10's locally i would pick those up in a heartbeat. The only limit i have is my wallet
, so im open to other suggestions. I guess im trying to figure out if this is more of a side-step than a step forward. I know both sets of subs have their strenghths and weaknesses, just trying to weigh all my options.

Yes, i was looking at the 2 Spuds that are in the classified section.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Of the two options presented, I would go with the SPUDs... just because I can hear the difference in THD between the sound of a direct radiator vs. a tapped horn. Mine's really spoiled me - I don't use my 18" LLT build anymore, even though it reaches lower than the horn does.

That said, it's a close one. Personally, if I had no idea what a tapped horn sounded like I'd probably keep the MFW's, save my money, and wait for a DTS-10 or two. More extension and more output that way.

Or... build my own TH, which is exactly what I ended up doing. I had no hope of being able to afford the DTS-10 when the kit was released, and didn't want a SPUD, so that left me with no other option if I wanted a tapped horn. I sat down, put the brain in gear, and set to learning how to do it

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
just because I can hear the difference in THD between the sound of a direct radiator vs. a tapped horn.

I have always wondered about this. There are research papers out there that show we have a hard time hearing minor differences in THD when the THD is below a certain percentage.

Unless we are talking about extreme SPL testing then the THD level of any of these designs are way below the threshold of hearing anyways. Meaning during normal usage no one is going to be able to pick the product with the lower THD.

Is there any controlled listening tests that prove this is true??

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19628098

Meaning during normal usage no one is going to be able to pick the product with the lower THD.

Heh - that's just it. I'm not what anyone would call "normal."

The IXL LLT got pushed really hard. Just about every movie I watched had that thing running wide open. Highest peak I ever saw with it was 113dB, and I could usually hear the suspension noise from the IXL when it started getting close to Xmax, depending on what I was watching.

Star Trek drove me crazy with it... the planet killing scene always gave me major suspension noise, while every scene where the ship went to warp speed underwhelmed me. The horn kicks you in the chest in the warp scenes, while the planet killing scene just sounds loud, low, and clean. It's working hard and I know it, but it just doesn't sound like it is. That's what has me addicted to these designs.

It's hard for me to explain it. The LLT didn't really sound strained to me until I got the horn together. Then it became obvious to me, and the LLT got permanently retired. The IXL is due to go into the car soon as a result.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Thanks, it clarifies your answer. Definitely having clean SPL is a great thing.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Can you demo the Spuds?? Is there a return policy? What mains do you have? How loud do you need to play your subs?

What is wrong with your 4 MFW-15s to make you want something else?

4 working MFW-15s is a pretty good sub system. If you are not stressing them then I can not see what will be different because you will never use the potential in the Spuds.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts