AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a MG350HD and put a brand new Seagate 250Gb HDD in it. I formatted the HDD it into a single FAT32 partition.

I have transferred files onto it with no problems via USB cable from my computer.

When I connect the device to my TV it starts up fine. I then click on OK to select the HDD. The device then says please wait and after a few minutes I get a listing of garbled folder names. See the attachment.

The actual folders in the root of the drive are "MOVIES" and "TV". Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

I plugged a USB key into the back of the MG350HD and it read the folders immediately and played an mp3 file with no problems.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Did you format the hard disk while connected to the PC via the USB?

When you hook it up to your PC via USB are the files still garbled?

Make sure the hard disk in the MG is set to MASTER/Single , my guess is that it my be set to CS/Cable Select? , this is why is reads wrongly in the MG.If it is already set to MASTER , try the CS/Cable Select setting..

Hopefully this will fix your problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy45 /forum/post/0

I have just purchased a MG350HD and put a brand new Seagate 250Gb HDD in it. I formatted the HDD it into a single FAT32 partition.

I have transferred files onto it with no problems via USB cable from my computer.

When I connect the device to my TV it starts up fine. I then click on OK to select the HDD. The device then says please wait and after a few minutes I get a listing of garbled folder names. See the attachment.

The actual folders in the root of the drive are "MOVIES" and "TV". Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

I plugged a USB key into the back of the MG350HD and it read the folders immediately and played an mp3 file with no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Did you format the hard disk while connected to the PC via the USB?

Yes. The Mediagate MG-350HD Manual suggested I could do so.

Quote:
When you hook it up to your PC via USB are the files still garbled?

No. I can see the files perfectly when it is hooked up to my PC via USB.

Quote:
Make sure the hard disk in the MG is set to MASTER/Single , my guess is that it my be set to CS/Cable Select? , this is why is reads wrongly in the MG.If it is already set to MASTER , try the CS/Cable Select setting

I switched from Master to Cable Select as per your suggestion and it made no difference.

I have just run Windows CHKDSK on the disk and it reported there errors on the disk. Perhaps the problem I am having is related to disk errors.

I am now running CHKDSK /F /R on the disk to try and fix the errors. I'll report back how this goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success!

The CHKDSK /F /R took over 30min but came back with the message "Windows has made corrections to the file system".

I ran CHKDSK on the drive again and it didn't report any errors.

I copied files back onto the MG-350HD and then connected it back to the TV and the directories/files are now viewable! I played the file with no problems. Hooray!

Thanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.