AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when watching a movie on this channel my AVP showed three channels of input, L, R, and something called "S". When I display the info input menu I show a 2.0 DD signal. From Wiki it appears that the "S" channel is mono surround channel.

Can someone explain what this "S" is an how it get processed with PLII x, or other surround DSP's.

Why is MGM sending this 3rd channel?

Comments?

·
Registered
189 Posts
What movie was it?

Some older films were recorded in three-channel or other formats which differ from those commonly now in use. Left-Right-Center and Left-Right-Surround are two of these.

If you are running a multichannel sound system, such as 5.1, & everything is being done correctly, the L & R signals should be sent to their respective speakers, & the S signal should be duplicated in the two rear speakers. The sum of L & R may appear in the centre speaker, depending on other processing.

If you have only two speakers, the correct behaviour is for the S signal to be mixed in anti-phase into the L & R speakers. What would actually happen depends on your system.

Why the signal should show up in one place as 3 channels, & in another place as 2, however, is not clear to me. What models of equipment are you using? Perhaps someone else can explain what is going on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts