AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Can someone please tell me:

1- What's the native resolution of MGS4 ? (640p, 720p, 1080p..etc).

2- How many individual surround channels does it actually have? (5.1, 6.1 or 7.1)

Any help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
My box says 1080p, and I could've sworn that's what the TV output said, too... will have to look again.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14175332

My box says 1080p, and I could've sworn that's what the TV output said, too... will have to look again.

Definitely says support of 1080p but I thought native was 720p. I could definitely be wrong though

http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/PS3/10...riots-orig.png

Really really big picture.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Which case is that? Mine looks totally different...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hey! I want that case too!

·
Registered
401 Posts
The native resolution of the game is 1024.x768 that gets scaled to the full range of HD resolutions (720p-1080p). It scales very well and looks great at 1080p (the HUD is very clear)...

As for sound, I believe its a DD 5.1 mix. Also, on a good system, the sound eclipses the graphics easily. Amazing soundtrack, voice acting and sound effects...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14175470

Which case is that? Mine looks totally different...

Yeah, not sure.

Also, required hard drive space "At least 40 MB"

All I can say to that is:

HAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAH

HAHAHAHAHA

That's funny.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yeah,they need to tack a few 0's onto that.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for replying all,

I'm pretty sure the picture posted is an old photoshopped MGS4 cover, I know of 4 official covers (MGS4 NTSC, PAL, NTSC-J & Limited Edition). and none of them look like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro /forum/post/14175500

The native resolution of the game is 1024.x768 that gets scaled to the full range of HD resolutions (720p-1080p). It scales very well and looks great at 1080p (the HUD is very clear)...

As for sound, I believe its a DD 5.1 mix. Also, on a good system, the sound eclipses the graphics easily. Amazing soundtrack, voice acting and sound effects...

Thanks, but how sure are you ? Because I find it a bit weird that MGS4's native resolution is in 4:3 fromat and not 16:9

Can someone please confirm & clear things up about the resolution and sound of MGS4 (links to sources would be great).

·
Registered
9,460 Posts

Thanks for replying all,

I'm pretty sure the picture posted is an old photoshopped MGS4 cover, I know of 4 official covers (MGS4 NTSC, PAL, NTSC-J & Limited Edition). and none of them look like that.

Thanks, but how sure are you ? Because I find it a bit weird that MGS4's native resolution is in 4:3 fromat and not 16:9

Can someone please confirm & clear things up about the resolution and sound of MGS4 (links to sources would be great).[/QUOTE]

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread...ht=1024&page=4

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I'm still confused on this one too...how is this game's native rez 1024x768, a 4:3 resolution......or is it simply cropped to 1024x720 for 16:9 display....or rather, scaled.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/14176014

I'm still confused on this one too...how is this game's native rez 1024x768, a 4:3 resolution......or is it simply cropped to 1024x720 for 16:9 display....or rather, scaled.

Why does it matter?

The game looks gorgeous regardless of what resolution its running at. Whatever behind the scene techniques Kojima Productions used worked really well.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/14176014

resolution doesn't necessarily directly translate to the aspect ratio. Virtua Fighter 5 on both 360 and PS3 is rendered at 1024x1024. doesn't matter to me anyway... this is one of the best looking games out there.

i guess you could say its closer to 720p, but some have said that it looks slightly better at 1080i/p.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro /forum/post/14175500

Oh yeah how do you know?

·
Registered
10,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro /forum/post/14176422

Why does it matter?

The game looks gorgeous regardless of what resolution its running at. Whatever behind the scene techniques Kojima Productions used worked really well.

Because its the topic of the post.

And I'm curious.

And it does look incredible, we aren't debating that.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Judging by the screenshots the camera takes, 768 sounds about right.

·
Registered
401 Posts
There are guys on the Beyond3d forums that take raw screens captured via software directly as it is output by the PS3 and then count the pixels in the raw screenshot.

The poster most associated with releasing the raw resolutions of games is Quaz51. He is the member that broke Halo 3's native resolution being 640p.

GW Smokey, the game is then scaled from the raw output to a resolution that is supported by the TV (either 720p or 1080i/p). The game itself isn't natively output at 1080p, but rather, it is scaled up to fit your screen. Couldn't tell the difference, could ya'? :p

That is why I made the comment about why this all matters. It doesn't. Games in the previous generation of consoles barely ran at 480i in some cases, but we were non the wiser and judged games on other criteria. If you would like to discuss the technical engineering behind the hardware/software, etc, then you should probably head over to Beyond3d, as most of the members there are hardcore programmers/engineers that are far more qualified to answer questions about this stuff than I am.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/14175823

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband /forum/post/14175784

Can someone please confirm & clear things up about the resolution and sound of MGS4 (links to sources would be great).

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread...ht=1024&page=4

There is absolutely nothing on that page about Metal Gear Solid that I can see. It does show that Ninja Gaiden 2 only runs at 585p, though, and it still looks pretty amazing (even if everyone does look like they are made of plastic).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts