Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Are any of you, (My neighbors) S.Floridians, Getting any channels from Orlando, Tampa, Naples or WPB with an OTA antenna.

I just need more programming, If you are what are you using to get the signal.

Thanks

Another desperate for more HD Channels. :)

Jl

·
Registered
275 Posts
What do you think your going to get there that we don't get, except maybe NBC?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey one extra channel is accepted :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Don't look for anything from West Palm Beach until next Spring. (And there's STILL no sign of an antenna on Gunther's roof (Gunther Marksteiner of WHDT-DT, which doesn't exist yet.) The picture of their building, here: www.whdt.net needs to be updated since they did remove the white aviation obstruction marker tower from the roof and replaced it with a single, big blue/white strobe where the base of the old marker tower was. This happened about two months ago and they replaced some lights in the "DW" sign while they were at it.

You might occasionally get fleeting signals from Tampa or Orlando when conditions permit "skip" reception but I've never even tried it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So far, it looks like Miami has

WPLG-DT 9 ABC

WPBT-DT 18 PBS on the air.

I can't tell if WHDT-59 in West Palm is actually on the air yet or not. Their website says yes, but there is no phone number to ask them. I couldn't find any other West Palm stations close to going OTA DT - WXEL said May 03. I have emails in to WPEC and WPBF and a voicemail into WFLX to learn their schedules.

Interestingly, I worked right next door to the WHDT building for five years and always wondered what DW was. Now I know - primarily German TV, but they are also carrying NASA-TV and evening movies according to their programming guide at
http://www.whdt.net/schedule.tpl

Guess I won't opt for the terrestrial option card or a SIR-T150 in Boynton Beach Florida just yet. 39 miles from Miami is a bit far for an indoor antenna!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
WPBT-DT (PBS) Channel 18-1, remapped to 2-1

WFOR-DT (CBS) Channel 22-1, remapped to 4-1

WSVN-DT (Fox) Channel 8-1, remapped to 7-1

WPLG-DT (ABC) Channel 9-1, remapped to 10-1

...and that's it for now.

The website for WHDT-DT is out of date and confusing. Old copy from when their low-power analog station was still on the air (WHDT-TV) stating that they are "on the air now" with plans to go digital is vague. They have yet to transmit a digital signal. There is still no antenna at the location that the FCC authorized them to place one (on top of the office building where their studio is located.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
David, Thanks for the update. I got overly excited about OTA possibilities from the antennaweb and broadcast.com site hype. Please keep us updated as the West Palm market comes on line for real.

Alan

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pogo...

Where are you located? Just curious 'cause I'm in the Jupiter/Tequesta area and have an interest in the West Palm stations as well.

Perhaps we could discuss receiving the signals when they become available.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You can determine the directions in which the transmitters of the TV stations in your area lie from your address with www.antennaweb.org .

Precise latitude/longitude locations of broadcast radio and TV transmitters can be found at www.100000watts.com .

In West Palm Beach, WPTV (NBC), WPEC (CBS), WFLX (Fox) and WXEL (PBS) transmitters are located on three towers that are all within a few miles of each other near the southwest corner of the intersection of Highway 441 and Lantana Road, west of Lantana.

WPBF (ABC) and WTVX (WB and UPN) are located on a tower that is visible just west of the Florida Turnpike near the Palm Beach County line, just inside of Martin County.

·
Registered
67 Posts
jluzbet,

Here in Miami, you should get with an outdoor antenna V/U combo:

Ch 08, 09 Miami- VHF

Ch 13 WPB - VHF (soon according to David)

Ch 18,19,24,32,47,52 Miami-UHF (some are spanish)

Ch 28 WPB-UHF (WFLX-Fox) Miami -WSVN is BS 480i

With a high mounted ant about 150' (rooftop condo) I don't get much more than that. Ocassional tropo brings in:

Ch 16 WPB 25 ABC

Ch 50 WPB 34 UPN/WB

Ch 14 Orlando 27 IND (rarely)

Ch 41 Orlando 65 UPN (rarely)

So as you can see thats all that's out there even with a tall stick.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A basic RS VHF/UHF antenna at about 20 feet also brings in the Miami and WPB (non tropo) stations listed above by Mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.