AVS Forum banner

6821 - 6840 of 6849 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

Don't know if this is the right place for this.......

Hi, I am pretty knowledgeable about alot of things on the house, but electronics is a mystery to me. And I don't have a dad or brother to ask these things of. Please help me figure out which antenna I need. 

I live in Boca Raton, FL zip 33487. My house is single story. I want to put a whole house antenna in the attic. Currently, I have an amplified splitter (plugged into electric with cable TV line) with 7 dedicated lines going to each room.

When I look up the address on those sites, it says I have a strong signal from both West Palm Beach and Miami. It says I am 30 miles from towers in West Palm and 50 from Miami. It says West Palm is 20 degrees and Miami is 300 degrees. From that info, that I have signals due north and due south, I believe I need a multidirectional antenna........correct?

Now, which one...........? I read about them on Amazon etc. but unfortunately, I don't understand the technical jargon that people who know about these things use. I chatted with a rep at one of the big online sellers of amplifiers and he suggested a DB8e antenna, a VHF antenna retro fit kit and a 9 way HD drop bidirectional amp CDA8 for $285.

I have a Roku and have been living with that since Comcast cut me off after they figured out they left basic cable on my TV's when I cut the cord. But I want to get this done. I have started and stopped many times because I'm afraid of buying the wrong thing. I don't mind spending the money. I want to do it once and do it right. I don't have 7 TV's right now, but I want the house to be set up for more if I buy them. Several are still analog right now and I use Roku with those. 

Thank you for any help...........Nina in Florida

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone hope i am posting in the right thread

I put up a external antenna and have a 8 input ATSC tuner

The device only asks for Frequency MHz so i been looking around for weeks to find the correct Frequency MHz to enter and search finally today i found some. Example:

521 MHZ I get WFOR-TV CBS HD
581 MHz I get WBFS-TV Fox HD
551 MHZ I get a bundle of chanels like WXEL HD, Create - V-ME - PBS World

Starting from 485MHz to 695MHz in intervals of 6MHz i get quite a lot of channels like 40 in total, i cant lock onto some like 545 , 611 , 623 , 635, 641 , 647, 653 , 683 , 695 , Thinking if this is the most i'm gonna get or if i am missing some Frequencies or even bad antenna install

Problem is i cant find the like of ABC, NBC, CW so could anyone help?

Thank in advance

ps i am in Miami, FL FL 33132

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone mind to tell me the basics? I live in Coconut Creek and I am tired of paying $200 for cable. I have 4 TVs and kids that love to DVR kids programs>Anyone have any location specific recomendations for an OTA system to replace comcast?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I am not down your way (I'm in Central Florida) but I'll try and give you some help since this thread seems kind of dead. First off, head over to either Antennaweb or TVFool and punch in your address. Either of these two will tell you what channels you can receive with an antenna, which kind you'll need and the direction you'll need to face it.

When you go to purchase your antenna, do not listen to the hype of 'it's an HDTV antenna!'. It's a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money :). However, due to your location, it looks like you will need an outdoor directional antenna in order to reach some of the stations. I am a little farther away from some of my stations and this is the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-HD7694P-High-Definition-Antenna/dp/B001DFTGR4/ref=sr_1_4?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1427829016&sr=1-4&keywords=directional+antenna

Depending on what shows you're kids watch, if they are into Disney/Nick/etc. I would suggest adding Netflix or Amazon Prime. Plenty of good stuff for the adults on those as well ;).

·
Registered
272 Posts
WPBT, WXEL announce merger

Two South Florida TV stations, Miami’s WPBT and WXEL in Boynton Beach, have agreed to merge into a new entity, South Florida PBS. The stations jointly announced the agreement Wednesday.

“This agreement presents a unique opportunity to accomplish something truly profound for South Florida,” said James Patterson, vice chair of WXEL’s board of trustees, in a press release. “The combination of resources and talent at WXEL, WPBT2 and PBS, makes possible a new level of community involvement and leadership that will encourage young people to read and learn and expose them to cultural programming that will enrich their lives.”

The two stations announced in June 2014 that they would embark on discussions about a merger. CPB contributed $150,000 to support planning behind the effort.
http://current.org/2015/07/south-florida-tv-stations-announce-merger/

Will the two stations simulcast, or will they continue to air different programs? If it's the latter, and WXEL becomes secondary, OTA viewers from Fort Pierce to Jupiter (and satellite subscribers in the Palm Beach DMA) would lose access to first-run PBS programming.

Contour Map: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=574906&map=Y&contour=Y&int=N&pop=N&incpop=&excpop=&z1=N&lprw=N&head=Y&asrn=&extras=1002232&cir=&circen=25.9586111111,-80.2119444444

·
Registered
845 Posts
Does this mean we will get better first run programming? There are many times I see ads which state "check your local PBS listings" and find that neither are showing the program.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a how to install an antenna and a where to buy local guide someplace I've missed? I've searched and unfortunately the answer isn't obvious to me.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I know this thread is kind of dead but I was wondering if anyone maybe notices the mosquito noise and compression artifacts on OTA HD channels. WSVN(7.1 FOX), WPLG(10.1 ABC), WTVJ(6.1 NBC) etc all display the same type of artifacts. It mostly seems to happen around text and the logo and score ticker on NFL programming, but I have noticed it on commercials and other programming as well. The reason I am posting is because I notice it more on my Samsung 55JS9000 UHD TV than I do on any other set including my Sony KDL55W900A. My other sets are all 1080p and all have the same artifacting but it seems to be worse on my 4k set. Is there a way to minimize it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Problem with WPLG in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl

I have a indoor amplified antennae (Moho Leaf 50) and receive a fair number of channels where I live, around 50+. Good reception and happy with the results for the most part...but the channel we watched most while under the lash of comcast was channel 10, WPLG.

For some reason I cannot get this channel up and running 100% of the time. It works very rarely.

My antennae is mounted on the window of our townhouse, 2cnd floor, facing due north.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions why this channel doesn't work all of the time, it works late at night, like now around 23:30.

or how to fix the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
WPLG ABC is on real channel 10, which is a VHF-High (7-13) channel, but the Leaf 50 works better for UHF channels, real 14-51. You might need an antenna that works better for VHF-High.

Your antenna is in a north window, but the WPLG signal is coming from the south. The antenna for WPLG needs to face 208 degrees magnetic.

The white amp that comes with the Leaf 50 is known to overload more easily than the previous black amp. You have some very strong local signals that might be overloading the white 15 dB amp, making reception of WPLG more difficult.

Do you have any other possible antenna locations?

You could try the Antennas Direct C2V indoors. The "V" is a dipole for VHF-High signals.

If you are a DIYer, you could add a folded dipole for CH10 to the Leaf using a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.

If you have an attic, you could try a Winegard HD7694P aimed south.

The C2V or the 7694 would work outdoors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm in northern palm beach and just cut the cord. I'm using an HDHomeRun Connect as an OTA tuner. Anyways, I just installed this Yagi style RCA antenna ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )in the attic pointed SSW but a few of the channels like 34.1 are too unstable/weak. I'm looking to try a better antenna. My attic opening is 28" so I was considering the Channel Master CM-4221HD.

I'm no expert so thought I'd check here first to see if there are better attic antenna options or other ideas. Getting some of the further stations like 23.1 would be a nice plus.

Thx

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am currently in Fort Lauderdale in 33301 off Federal Highway between Broward & Sunrise. My apt faces north unfortunately. I am using a Wineguard amplified flat antenna from Costco and it gets nothing. It worked great in Atlanta.

Disappointed I got rid of my Terk HDTVa. Any suggestions?

Based on this

https://antennaweb.org/Stations?Address=490 Northeast 5th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301, United States&AntennaHeight=False&Latitude=26.127921&Longitude=-80.1388

I am guessing I am SOL.... Will have to rely on some sort of streaming service

Given no replies since 2016, is OTA actually fading into the sunset due to streaming services?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I am currently in Fort Lauderdale in 33301 off Federal Highway between Broward & Sunrise. My apt faces north unfortunately. I am using a Wineguard amplified flat antenna from Costco and it gets nothing. It worked great in Atlanta.

Disappointed I got rid of my Terk HDTVa. Any suggestions?

Based on this

https://antennaweb.org/Stations?Address=490 Northeast 5th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301, United States&AntennaHeight=False&Latitude=26.127921&Longitude=-80.1388

I am guessing I am SOL.... Will have to rely on some sort of streaming service

Given no replies since 2016, is OTA actually fading into the sunset due to streaming services?
If you have basic cable and internet service from Comcast, you can use their Xfinity Stream app on a Roku (or a Samsung Smart TV) to access most of their channels. The app is currently in beta, so it is free to subs with the appropriate equipment, but it is relatively stable and definitely an option for those who cannot get their local network affiliates OTA.

You can obtain more information at this site:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you have basic cable and internet service from Comcast, you can use their Xfinity Stream app on a Roku (or a Samsung Smart TV) to access most of their channels. The app is currently in beta, so it is free to subs with the appropriate equipment, but it is relatively stable and definitely an option for those who cannot get their local network affiliates OTA.

You can obtain more information at this site:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs
I just got the Roku. The app is decent though obviously a delay in switching channels.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The app is currently in beta, so it is free to subs with the appropriate equipment, but it is relatively stable and definitely an option for those who cannot get their local network affiliates OTA.

What do you mean free to subs? Does it work with internet only or do you need internet plus?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
What do you mean free to subs? Does it work with internet only or do you need internet plus?
You'll have to check with Comcast...I believe any level of internet service should suffice as long as you have the basic TV service as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
So I'm in Boynton Beach, FL and have an antenna in my attack and able to get the CW 39.1 (as well as their sub channels). Using a HD Homerun with my Plex DVR setup on it. Weird thing about this channel (just 39.1) is on all of my recordings and live TV viewings there's a black bar on the top. No other channels give this off, though sometimes I get some funky similar things happening with other channels though and my Plex DVR recordings. I've attached photos of it happening (one of the show menu and the other of the episode itself). Anybody else see this with that channel?

Also disappointed in Fox 7.1. I'm like just close enough for a constant picture, but the quality isn't quite there.

Don't get either CW 34.1 or Fox 29.1 from Palm Beach County which is a bummer.

Attachments

6821 - 6840 of 6849 Posts