AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Let me qualify my initial statement by saying that I am projecting at 720P (Sanyo Z4) onto a 106" screen, so in no way is my system reference. Having said that, most (if not all) of my other releases (all 34 of them) look really good. The challenge I have with Miami Vice is the huge amount of jaggies I see. It is so bad that my wife notices it (and she doesn't notice much in terms of PQ or AQ). Almost every camera shot shows very noticeable jaggies from the very first scene (boat race).

I haven't seen very much negative talk regarding Miami Vice, so I wonder if it is something to do with my setup. The disc also started to judder as if I was pause/playing it at the point that Sonnie and Tubbs land in Haiti. Anyway, I am going to exchange the disc to see if that makes a difference.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
24,269 Posts
It is not the greatest HD DVD but it is also not the worst. There are a few night scenes which just looked awful. This title is definitely not a reference quality...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhu77 /forum/post/0

Make sure the player is outputting 1080I. I had the same problem with the player @720P. Switched over to 1080I and it fixed the problems.

Thanks for the advice, I will try it tonight and post the result.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryguy /forum/post/0

Hi there,

Let me qualify my initial statement by saying that I am projecting at 720P (Sanyo Z4) onto a 106" screen,

I have a Z4 as well. Have you had yours calibrated? Out of the box, there's some artificial sharpener/edge enhancer cranked waaaaay up, which actually introduces jaggies. It's called "Transient Improvement" or something similar, and it's buried in one of the advanced menus. I'd recommend turning it off if you haven't already.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw21683 /forum/post/0

I have a Z4 as well. Have you had yours calibrated? Out of the box, there's some artificial sharpener/edge enhancer cranked waaaaay up, which actually introduces jaggies. It's called "Transient Improvement" or something similar, and it's buried in one of the advanced menus. I'd recommend turning it off if you haven't already.

I am not sure if I have this turned on or not, but I will definitely check it out tonight.

Cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
i'm not surprise of miami vice not looking that great... it really didn't look good in the theaters either. i don't know if they were trying for the old tv look or what but i remember the night scenes in the theater looking just awful

·
Registered
620 Posts
I originally had my player set to output 720P (to my 720P Plasma) when the 2.0 firmware update came out. I changed this once I saw an extreme amount of jaggies in "Corpse Bride". I'm not sure why, but I didn't see any jaggies in any other movies. Of course setting it to output 1080i fixed those problems.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngmikes /forum/post/0

i'm not surprise of miami vice not looking that great... it really didn't look good in the theaters either. i don't know if they were trying for the old tv look or what but i remember the night scenes in the theater looking just awful

Strange, It looks great in my system, it's one of the best looking HD-DVDs I have.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the A1 and a mitsu 62 dlp and the scenes that were filmed clear( the boat racing) look great. The car chase looks bad, but I believe it was meant to show what bd looks like so the hd dvd guys would know what they are missing

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales /forum/post/0

I have the A1 and a mitsu 62 dlp and the scenes that were filmed clear( the boat racing) look great. The car chase looks bad, but I believe it was meant to show what bd looks like so the hd dvd guys would know what they are missing

Wow the boat racing scene was jaggie mania on my setup, I'll have to try the switching to 1080i tomorrow to see if that helps. Other than the horrible grain the boat racing scene was the only time I saw jaggies. I definitely wished I had rented this movie before I bought it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This film has lots of grain (directors choice) some like it others dont.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.