AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my Toshiba TW65X81 calibrated yesterday by Michael TLV, and let me tell you it was an amazing experience. Michael did my set in the morning and a friend's (Stephen Knowlton - also on this forum) Mitsubishi in the afternoon. I'll cover the details of my calibration and let Steve talk about his.

Michael arrived at around 9:30 AM and after introductions and smalltalk, he got down to work (although we continued with some quite enjoyable smalltalk throughout the day). As I saw someone else post a report this way, I'll list his tasks and my comments below:

Overscan

Working through the service menu items like a true master, he had the overscan set up perfectly in a matter of minutes... The basics were done in the first 30 seconds, and it was perfect minutes later.

Herman TLV Maneuver

Enough said...

Focus (Electrical)

Using the menus again, he worked the electronic focus to perfection. Instead of using the "look into the CRT's" method, he used the screen and it looked amazing.

Focus (Mechanical)

This is where Michael's true Godliness started to show. Using this amazing "string" method, he was able to get the lenses mechanically focussed to perfection. Just watching him work his magic with the string made it worthwhile.

Convergence

He spent quite a bit of time on this making sure everything was perfect. My convergence was quite out of whack, but by the time he was done, it was impeccable.

Gray Scale

Most of his time was spent perfecting this... My Toshiba was way off initially; way up in the 11000 range. After much work and effort, he brought me right down to 6500... Once this was perfected, he went immediately into

Lens striping

He masked the lenses to get the 6500K across the entire screen. He was quite proficient at this...

Color/Tint Settings

He then perfected the color and tint settings for the set using filters that were much nicer (and larger) than the ones that come with Avia.

At this point my Progressive DVD input looked perfect. Michael saved the calibration into the Theater Mode setting as "Warm" (in case someone screwed with my TV). He also changed the scale of the picture settings so that it's easy to get the TV fixed if someone messes with the picture settings. The optimal values for all of the picture settings are now in the exact middle of the sliders, and the contrast slider has been set so that torch mode (100) is now really only 60% contrast. This way if the "reset" button is hit, torch mode is only at 60% contrast.

After the calibration of the Progressive DVD input, Michael broke out his 1080i HD test pattern generator and repeated the above steps for my HD input. Overall it was a wonder to watch him work, and some of the best money I've ever spent. I would highly recommend him to anyone and everyone. He is a true perfectionist and a calibration God... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Derek

------------------

Derek J. Nolan -- [email protected] -- My DVDs

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I know exactly how you feel! I'm still trying to get over the shock of my new picture. Michael did my TN61X81 last Friday. He arrived at about 4:00PM and worked on the TV until 9:00PM. He then did the greyscale on my ECP-4000 FPTV until about 10:00PM.

Now, I have been watching satellite HDTV on my Dish 6000 since June of last year, and OTA HDTV since December, so HD is not new to me. I've watched the Dish and PBS demo loops countless times, and pretty much know them by heart. Still, after Michael was done and we started watching the demo loops again, my jaw hit the floor and all I could keep saying was WOW! over and over! The colors were absolutely stunning, and the difference in sharpness was not subtle, it was dramatic! So much so that I've stopped watching HD on the projector and gone back to the TV for everyday HD watching. He is really an ISF god! Thanks, Michael!

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
My set (Mits 55857) was tuned by Michael TLV right after Derek's. Same tuning package and I have to say I am very pleased with it. Particularly the HD input since I had no effective way to perform simple tunes myself let alone grey scale. Gray scale was the most important thing I wanted adjusted although. I was also please to find the color decoder (which can't be adjusted on my set) was perfect thanks to the red push attenuator I had installed in my set when I got it.

Here are a couple of pics of before and after.

This one is the before. http://www.imbetterthanyou.com/knowlton/Image001.jpg

This is after the calibration. http://www.imbetterthanyou.com/knowlton/Image002.jpg

Do note that my set in particular was well below 6500K. Michael TLV creates a great three line graph of before tune, a 6500K reference line and final results after tune.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ][ronMan:
Herman TLV Maneuver:

Enough said...
Okay, I'll bite. What is the "Herman TLV Maneuver"?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It's a technique perfected by Tom Herman and Michael TLV in which the 'Screen VR' trimpots are used to decrease the intensity and thickness of the convergence gridlines. When applied properly, it yields a significant improvement in image detail. Read this and this for all the info.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ben,

Yes the Herman TLV Maneuver makes one of the most remarkable and noticeable changes during the calibration process. The URL's that Vic posted describe it in amazing detail. I'm not sure how many ISF guys have started performing the maneuver since it's invention, but I can assure you that Michael TLV performs it flawlessly... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Derek

------------------

·
Registered
388 Posts
Although screen shots can't do justice to the way the actual picture looks, my first reaction was that the after picture looked worse than the before. Notice that the "start movie' text looks white on the before, but has a cyan tint on the after. Same with the other text. Same with the yellow text. The picture insert in the upper right looks more saturated and pleasing to me in the "before." Am I missing something here?

Dick

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had the same reaction, but I'm sure it is just the pictures.

You can't judge color balance from a picture taken with a digital camera. At least with my Nikon Coolpix, all the pictures I took this winter of a big snowstorm came out with a strong blue/cyan cast, which wasn't present in real life.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting... For me, having seen the actual TVs before and after, I thought the photo showed the improvement (although I was skeptical about the quality of a photograph of a TV in the first place). After reading your descriptions of the photos, I can see what you're saying in the pictures, but assure you that the "human eye" result of the after calibration image blew away the before image...

Derek

------------------

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
447 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status