AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any micro-atx motherboards that'll support an Athlon XP 2600+ running at 333mhz FSB?

I won the processor in a raffle at a LAN party, and am thinking about putting it in an HTPC. I think I've settled on using one of the coolermaster micro-ATX cases, but I can't find any motherboards that'll run this processor with 333mhz FSB in micro-atx form factor. I suppose I could run it on a 266mhz FSB board, but that seems like a waste.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Biostar makes an nforce2 board that's microatx. It should support 333mhz fsb. Check out tom's hardware guide. There's a review of it there somewhere.

Tom

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just after I posted I found a few nforce2 boards that're microatx, and they look pretty good. I'm leading toward shuttle, since abit, asus, and tyan seem to be absent from the micro-atx market.

http://www.shuttle.com/new/product/spec/MN31N_DM.pdf

Does anyone know if the gf-4 mx that's integrated in the nforce2 supports dxva? Tom's Hardware mentions 'Hardware mpeg2 acceleration' in it's nforce2 review, but doesn't specifically say dxva. If it does, I just might be able to get away with using onboard video and audio on this thing as I understand the nforce2 also has an spdif header (though I'd need to connect it to a port in a pci slot apparently).

Wow, that'd be pretty cool...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah it supports DXVA. I have it working with the DVICO demo in DXVA mode.

Tom

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome.. now to find where i can get an spdif and ieee1394 module to connect to those onboard headers.

Thanks for your help! Looks like I might've found my board. I worry a little about only having 3pci slots though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On second thought, the biostar board has the spdif out exposed on the back panel w/o needing to take up a pci slot cover.

I'm not familiar with biostar though. I'll do some research, but does anyone have opinions on their boards?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been interested int he biostar mobo. Biostar isnt the most well known company, but this board has been getting only good reviews on newegg.com. I plan on getting board to use in my CoolerMaster ATC-610 GX case. With an xp 1700+ and some ddr memory. But like i said the reviews ive seen have said its all good (check out toms hardware review of it, its kinda lopsided since its going against full sized atx mobos IMO atleast). Hope I helped you somehow.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't find the shuttle for sale either.. a few press releases were dated 3/31/03, but don't state a release date. Hopefully it'll come out soon. I've used shuttle boards in the past.

Though, it would be nice if it had the spdif on the back panel instead of the parallel port or the second VGA out. I mean, are that many matx users going to use dualhead?

Does anyone happen to know what powersupplies will fit the coolermaster ATC-620?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lava Lamp Freak
Is the Shuttle MN31N available yet? I can't find it for sale anywhere online.
I emailed Shuttle about this when the first review came out. It's apparently targeted for OEM's and it will be up to the regional suppliers if they carry it for retail sale. I hope that it will be available in the Shuttle online store, at least.

As for other mATX boards available, by all means use this forum's recommendations, but don't forget about nforcershq.com (for nforce2) or just do a search at newegg.com for the mATX form factor.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Definitely check out nforcershq, there is a thread posted in the forum about micro-atx motherboards:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/view...d5a33e46e3eca7

Please post back with your final decision. I am interested in upgrading to an nforce2 micro-atx, but haven't made a decision yet. I like the specs on the Aopen mcp-t and the Biostar mcp-t boards. The MSI boards look good also, but I can't find a retailer.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the Chaintech N712F and it was a sweetheart to get built and installed. It was $99 delivered from newegg with the integrated video. The integrated video works fine for HTPC applications but it would be a pain for serious gaming.

I have a Leadtek TV-in card I need to install and a Geforce4 Ti-4200 I was going to put in but now I think I may sell the vid card on eBay and just stay with the onboard video.

I used the Seasonic 300watt PSU for $29 from newegg in my ATC-610 case. It works fine and is very quiet. Read the reviews that are linked from the newegg web page.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.