AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to rebuild my HTPC after several years of fairly reliable use.
My last obstacle is the power supply. My old power supply (silentmax) was 300 watts and measures 3 1/2 inches wide X 4 3/4 inches tall X 6 1/8 inches deep. Because of the size of the case I am really stuck with those measurements but I need at least 500 watts to power all the "new stuff".

I have spent the last 3-4 hours searching the web but I counld not find a power supply that will fit in the case.
Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find a suitable sized 500 watt power supply?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
There's a few different "micro ATX" power supplies... Though I believe there isn't a mATX-proper PSU size, there's a few others that are also commonly used in mATX applications. Off the top of my head:

TFX

SFX

FlexATX

I don't think any of those actually meet your dimensions you gave (~90mm x 120mm x 155mm). Note: Try to give these in metric, no one measures these things in imperial, lol.

So I looked it up and found this on Silverstone's site and remembered the PS3 form factor (once called mATX), and that seems to be the closest size. See here:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/10055.php?area=

The weird thing is you describe dimensions that don't really match up to that either. Take a look at that link and see if any of those matches your supply.

As a note, I imagine your "silentmax" power supply is an off-brand (I've never heard of it really) and doesn't actually have the current capability that a decent 400W PSU would have. For example, what is the 12V rail(s) rated at? A 400W supply can actually power quite a bit, except for higher end videocards which most HTPC users do not have. So if the PSU is not cutting it, it's probably more because it's crap quality rather than being "only 400W".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts