AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting together my first HTPS and I know the ASUS P4PE is the bomb but the case I like to use supports the micro-atx mainboard. Any suggestions on a board that is equal to the P4PE. or any other cool cases like the ATC 610-GX1. :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Take a look at the Intel boards. I'm leaning toward a micro-atx board as well since the case I'm looking at is the coolermaster atc-610. I've been eyeing the Intel D845GERG2L. This supports 2.4GHz+, 533 FSB, Hyper Threading, USB 2.0, 10/100 LAN. Check it out on the Intel site. Additionally I was able to find this board for about $120 at www.newegg.com

Chris

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have to say that a Full ATX case will provide expandability. The system we are configuring will support HD recording to hard drive from ANY source. I have the need for additional slots for future use. I ordered the VISION 2 case and it should be here in a few weeks. The scaled down version of the system we are configuring will not support home automation nor will it support HD that where I think I would use a micro board with the ATC 610-GX1. Thanks for the input and I will take a look at the Intel board.

Twisted

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
when you say more expandability what do you mean?? how many cards are needed when building an htpc? onboard lan usb 2.0 and firewire are what i look for in a board and 3 slots with agp is also all that i can think of being needed. one slot for tuner one for sound. need more hard drive space?? drop in a 200 gig drive in an external case.. also makes it nice when you want to put it in a remote location and save money buy not buying that super quiet drive and buying any drive you want..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, you need a AGP video card. If you want to use the Zalman heatsink to eliminate the fan, you loose one of the PCI slots. Figure, a HDTV/PVR card, add a good soundcard (even if its just for the spdif out). Thats a totally maxed out system. No room for anything else at all. If you don't have on board lan, you may well want to still add a card for that, or a fan controler, or a Holo3d card, or many other things.

DanW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.