AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a HTPC built for me with a Radeon card by a Forum Guru and am basically happy with it all in all.

My issue is no matter what commonly recommended refresh settings I use and no matter what player (ATI, WinDVD or PowerDVD) I still get some stuttering on pans and some other material vs using a Sony 7700 via Svideo. That player at the moment is my only reference. Granted, compared to my radeon based P3 750 HTPC the sonys overall pic looks nasty comparatively on my D-ILA.

Is the only way to resolve this issue to buy a Skyworth or Equivalent and a fancy smantzy scaler or the Vigatec combination of outboard DVD player and scaler or where might the problem might be coming from?

I am using a G1000 with a G15 coming soon but the electronics I understand are the same.

Some of the players are worse than others on some material but they all seem to exhibit the problem to one degree or another.

This may be as visible to me as the rainbows on DLP's are to others but I had a local "film guy" spoil me by pointing it out. I had the same problem with my Geoforce based HTPC.

Or should I just stick to watching DVD's on the Sony 32" and a Pioneer 414 and leave the D-ILA to real HD material or stop looking at the background?

Larry

------------------

G1000 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

Panasonic, Dish, HDTV recording setup.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Larry,

What refresh rate are you running at? Have you PowerStripped that HTPC yet?

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes Mark, 48 or 72 via PS...I think I tried 60 as well or as near each as PS would let me set them.

Larry

------------------

G1000 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You need to run at 75 hz as that is the dila rate. You'll find a lot of variables can produce micro stuttering- dma settings, tsr programs, etc. all documented on this board by doing a search for 'stutter'.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Actually, D-ILA's don't run at a fixed 75Hz rate. They sync to the input rate and refresh the panels at double that rate, whatever it happens to be.

The only thing special about 75Hz is that it switches the source to SXGA3 when running in "Auto" mode.

Micro-stuttering with HTPC's is unavoidable since the video clock and audio clock are separate. In standalone players only one clock is used so audio and video are always in sync. In an HTPC, the clock on the video card isn't sync'd to the clock on the audio card, so they drift relative to each other. Playback is driven off the audio clock and every so often the video has to skip a frame or two to catch up.

You can minimize these problems by adjusting the ATI player settings in DVDgenie and by carefully setting the refresh rate in PowerStrip.

In my system, I've found the best settings to be:

Surface Flip Mode: Default for Cinemaster2.0

Surface Flip Position: Wait full frame

Sync Flip Fields: checked

Sync Screen Refresh: checked

The NTSC frame rate is 23.976 fps, so the ideal refresh rates are 47.952Hz and 71.928Hz. Using these rates will give you the least frequent stuttering, but it's still noticable. I've settled on a rate of 48.02Hz which has more frequent but less noticable stutters.

Good luck.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the replies. At least now I know its not the projector, or computer setup problem nor my imagination. I will give those setting a try.

I will dig a bit tomorrow doing a search but I think I may need to sit down and watch the movies and try to ignore the problem. When someone gives me a sack-o-cash I'll go for something like the Vigatec player/scaler or as I said a Skyworth or equivelent and a scaler when the price/performance ratio reaches my budget limit.

Larry

------------------

G1000 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.