AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, me and the wife just bought our first home! we're having some professionals (read: not us since we're incompetent
) strip the rooms of wallpaper and paint them. we have a room ready to be our modest home theater and as a result it will have surround sound speakers hanging on the side walls. i was reading this month's Home Theater Magazine and found mention of special speaker wire that is thin as heck that you stick to your walls and paint over (Acoustic research flat ribbon tape AR MicroFlat model HT392 see picture attached). since the walls are going to be painted soon i thought this might be a good alternative to stapling our current black round monster cable to the soon-to-be sand-colored walls.

what i was wondering though, is what kinds of sacrifices am i going to have to endure by using this wire. are there any? has anybody used something similar to this? does it eventually peal from the walls and begin to look horrendous? any help or info regarding this would be greatly appreciated and welcome.

p.s.

oh yeah, would anybody know a good rule of thumb to follow in regards to where to place dipole surrounds? how high above the listener's ears should one place them and do they go directly on the sides of the listening position or slightly behind? i'm asking because i would have to adhere the speaker wire prior to the painters painting and i need to do so without the advantage of having the speakers or other equipment present to do comparisons.

thanks again!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 7.1 setup. I have B&W dipoles directly beside the main viewing area and then 2 B&W dipoles on the back wall.

From what I have read, there seems to be confusion on the "Surround Speakers". I have read some folks referring to them as "Rear speakers". In my opinion, that is incorrect. They are surround speakers and are designed to build a surrounding field of sound. So my thinking is that if you have direct firing Surround speakers, you should point them forward but place them directly beside you. If you have dipole speakers, then they will, by default, fire forward and back of you, so putting them beside you is ideal.

But then again I could be wrong ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
here is what you do punch a small whole in the wall and run the wire behind the drywall down to the base and have it come out and run it along the wall to your recever

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i'm thinking of just sticking with the wires i have since i don't understand how i would be able to bend the wire in a 90 degree angle once i run it to the floor and want to bring it towards my equipment rack.

thanks for the speaker placement opinion. should dipoles go directly on your side or slightly behind you?

thanks

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Read here for recommendations from Dolby about Speaker Placement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.