AVS Forum banner

461 - 480 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Samsung Displays no longer producing LCD panels is not the same as Samsung Electronics no longer selling LCD tvs. The electronics division can buy them from Chinese manufacturers to keep making their current QLED and LCD lineups. Samsung has a ton of different tvs all over the price spectrum, QD-OLED would only replace their current high end models, not the entire product range.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Samsung Displays no longer producing LCD panels is not the same as Samsung Electronics no longer selling LCD tvs. The electronics division can buy them from Chinese manufacturers to keep making their current QLED and LCD lineups. Samsung has a ton of different tvs all over the price spectrum, QD-OLED would only replace their current high end models, not the entire product range.
This makes a lot more sense. When Samsung, or anyone else, comes to market with mOLED what is the upper normal limit in size for a reasonable higher yield panel? 100's perhaps/hopefully?

·
Registered
47 Posts
This seems like the most plausible scenario for the very immediate future. Still, Samsung getting out of producing their own LCD panels is going to make the next few years interesting. Is the going assumption around here that they'll be debuting at least a few QD-OLED options next year, even if they're not accessibly priced?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
If their QD-OLED's aren't ready by 2021, these consumer MicroLED's will have to be competitively priced with current OLED's since Samsung is exiting the LCD business at the end of 2020. That means Samsung would only have 1 line of TV's on the market for 2021 - consumer MicroLED.

Now, IF their consumer MicroLED's noticeably improve on current OLED's in two key areas (brightness and eliminate burn-in), then a higher price point would be very justifiable and most enthusiasts would happily pay it.
Samsung is exiting the LCD business and getting into the LCD business with a different name for LCDs - brilliant!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
QDLED - Samsungs project is LCD.
QDLED is not LCD either. Samsung has really confused things with their marketing crap.

QDEF - LCD with QD enhanced LED backlight - Samsung's current TVs marketed as QLED.
QDCF - LCD with blue LED backlight and QD colour filters - Samsung Display is not working on this.
QD-OLED - Blue OLED with QD colour filters - What Samsung Display is working on now.
MicroLED - Three LEDs per pixel - What some at Samsung Display would rather be working on now.
QNED - Like OLED but but using GaN nanorod blue emitters and QD colour filters - Samsung Display is researching this.
QDLED - Like OLED but QD is the emissive material and not just a converter - Samsung Display is dreaming about this. :)

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
QDLED is not LCD either. Samsung has really confused things with their marketing crap.

QDEF - LCD with QD enhanced LED backlight - Samsung's current TVs marketed as QLED.
QDCF - LCD with blue LED backlight and QD colour filters - Samsung Display is not working on this.
QD-OLED - Blue OLED with QD colour filters - What Samsung Display is working on now.
MicroLED - Three LEDs per pixel - What some at Samsung Display would rather be working on now.
QNED - Like OLED but but using GaN nanorod blue emitters and QD colour filters - Samsung Display is researching this.
QDLED - Like OLED but QD is the emissive material and not just a converter - Samsung Display is dreaming about this. :)
***Will this be on the mid-term exam? Nice job. No matter what Samsung is working on - - it's got to be a solution without tinting, banding or burn in. And it's got to be priced right.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
^only Sony has the answers right:rolleyes: Hmmm, since you listed tinting banding and BI, all of which can happen on LCD's, why not add, a fix to blooming, clouding, flashlighting, and DSE...maybe MicroLed can solve those problems associated with current LCD's.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Is it too much to ask for the 110 inch version to replace my projection system to be around 10K? I know this sounds ridiculously low but my neighbor got a 77 inch OLED for about 4K....

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
^only Sony has the answers right:rolleyes: Hmmm, since you listed tinting banding and BI, all of which can happen on LCD's, why not add, a fix to blooming, clouding, flashlighting, and DSE...maybe MicroLed can solve those problems associated with current LCD's.
***Your usual misguided and misinformed post. No technology is perfect. The question is what TV is perfect for you - - your budget, the content you watch on a regular basis, your eyes and what works for you. No one said Sony has all the answers. They do have the best processing, IMHO, and their FALD TV's are a great bang for the buck. I haven't experienced any tinting, banding, blooming, flashlighting or DSE with my 75" Sony 900F. And certainly no burn-in issues to worry about. Stick to the OLED threads. You have a captive "Jim Jones" Kool-Aid audience there.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Please stop. Your 900F definitely has blooming. ALL LCDs do...
***OK - you can see the blooming on my Sony 900F from where you are. As I said before - I just don’t see any blooming on my TV. (Or on my Sony 900E, either.) If there is any, none that affects my eyes or enjoyment of my picture. All LCD’s do not have blooming or, in other words, to the absolute degree that you state it to be.

Why not take yourself and your OLED brethren back to the OLED threads? Why spend one second on a LCD thread and technology that you could care less about?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
***Your usual misguided and misinformed post. No technology is perfect. The question is what TV is perfect for you - - your budget, the content you watch on a regular basis, your eyes and what works for you. No one said Sony has all the answers. They do have the best processing, IMHO, and their FALD TV's are a great bang for the buck. I haven't experienced any tinting, banding, blooming, flashlighting or DSE with my 75" Sony 900F. And certainly no burn-in issues to worry about. Stick to the OLED threads. You have a captive "Jim Jones" Kool-Aid audience there.
You do realize, none of your sets are the flagship models right and neither of them compete with any current Oled? You dont hear videophiles talking about either of your sets. I had a 940e and it most definitely bloomed, and that set is superior to both the sets you own.

As far as misguided and misinforned...do explain, and prove your point, show evidence. You saying you havent experienced any uniformity issues on both of those sets makes ME question YOUR credibility.

Do your self a favor and go back to the LCD section and spew your misinformation over there...if you want to experience the BEST pq, get an Oled.

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Why not take yourself and your OLED brethren back to the OLED threads? Why spend one second on a LCD thread and technology that you could care less about?
This thread is in the Oled section fella if you dont like it ask the mods to move it to the appropriate area.

Also, why spend one second talking about a technology you can care less about...right???

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
We are in the OLED threads.

2020-04-26 19_08_38-MicroLED_ Technology Advancements Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum _ Home Theate.png

You do realize that MicroLED is not an LCD technology, right?

This thread is in the Oled section fella if you dont like it ask the mods to move it to the appropriate area.
This is the appropriate area as it's not an LCD technology:

OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Flat panel general chat for the topic of one over another. Pros and cons when chatting on both. Please post in the other for areas for support questions on the type of display.

461 - 480 of 507 Posts