AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on a somewhat inexpensive microphone (lets says $25 or less , but up to $50 if necessary and anything between) To best handle picking up performance exhaust that will run from 80dB to 110dB (extreme) -- To be positioned on the rear of the vehicle.

This microphone will go into a Canon HF R 500 Video Camera.

The Exhaust is both Deep, and as the RPM's exceed 3000 to 8000 it becomes higher pitched.

So I need something that can handle the SPL, but also has a broad frequency range, particularly able to pick up the deeper tones. This is for Youtube enthusiast type video work nothing extreme here, hence the budget. I have a $3 microphone that came with a cleaning kit, but I imagine it does about as good of a job as it cost.

So any and all recommendations are very much appreciated!

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi Neofate -sounds like you need a battery powered condenser. I recommend something like this $35.99 Olymstore Condenser Mic.

It is AA battery powered, plugs in to your 3.5mm stereo jack, has a frequency range of 20-16,000 Hz and a max SPL of 132dB.

Most of the other condensers in this class are phantom powered and won't work with your camcorder.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your video!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

1 - 2 of 2 Posts