AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My 'modded' xbox still hasn't been banned. The mod is only really affecting those that put chips into their consoles. Mine is a simple dvd firmware hack, which lets me play burned games. I hope it never gets banned.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse17 /forum/post/0

My 'modded' xbox still hasn't been banned. The mod is only really affecting those that put chips into their consoles. Mine is a simple dvd firmware hack, which lets me play burned games. I hope it never gets banned.

No, they are banning for the firmware hack. In all likelihood, anyone with a modded console who has logged in after the spring update is in their database. It's just a matter of time now. They will likely hand out the bans in tiers so as to make sure there isn't too much backlash from false positives.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse17 /forum/post/0

Have you run a copy of crackdown? I guess it still has yet to be determined if it's the crackdown/halo3 or the spring update that has given them this ability. I hold nothing against MS for doing this, but I feel it may hurt them in the end....

It's not like the owners of banned consoles are going to run out and buy a new console and all the games they pirated. They will either find a work around or they simply will not use XBL, which will prevent a lot of customers from being exposed to services that XBL offers that MUST be paid for (mappacks, arcade live, movies, tv, themes....).

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I spent the day playing a burned copy of GRAW2 yesterday and at no time ever had any problems. My firmware hack may be different than what the update looks for. I had a buddy install the hack for me, so I don't really the specifics...but I know that it currently works.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
only a matter of time my friend.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebuzz#836 /forum/post/0

That's what makes this one different, it checks for modified firmware on the 360's DVD drive.

They check for the copied discs, and they "might" also check for the modified firmware.

edit: also, there have been plenty of non modified consoles being banned. oups
microshaft really messed up there. Plenty of users are complaining on the xbox.com forums and this mass ban is making people angry, cancelled xbox live accounts, sold xbox 360's, calls to the main office ect.. ect.. Could this be the turning point that Sony needs to have the advantage again? maybe, is this in Sony's favor? absolutely, Did microshaft just shoot themselves in the foot? Yes. Now we wait to see what happens.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Heh, I don't believe most of the people claiming to have an unmodded 360 banned from Live. It still hasn't been determined what exactly Microsoft is doing to detect and ban people. There is a lot of speculation, but in every case there are exceptions. Plenty of people with modded firmwares and copied games aren't banned, while plenty of people have been. Perhaps its the whole Crackdown/Halo 3 beta, though plenty of people say they are using a copy of Crackdown to download the Halo 3 beta and are still playing today. Some speculate Microsoft has been keeping data since long before the Spring update and are just now starting to hand out bans. We all really don't know until someone spills the beans. Is this really a big deal for most people? Not really as most aren't pirates and most aren't stupid enough to use a copy of Crackdown they downloaded off the internet to register and download the Halo 3 beta. Any company would do the same if this happened to their product and I can't blame Microsoft for doing this. I still don't think it makes much sense though as these people can still play all their games in single player and also use alternative free multiplayer services that are still available to play games online. It just prevents these same people from spending money on XBox Live Arcade, add-ons, etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if you are pirating games and modding the boxes to let you play pirated games this shouldn't be a surprise. i don't have any sympathy for those who were caught cheating. boo hoo. as for false positives, i have no idea what triggers that or statistically how many actually innocent people got banned. i have to believe that at the very least the vast vast majority of folks who got banned earned it.

i don't know all of the avs forum policies, but the pro audio forum i moderate in has a no tolerance for piracy or any advocacy of piracy policy. so when i hear any bitching about folks who were using pirate copies of anything, i don't have any sympathy. i bought my games and am not getting banned. that's how it's supposed to work and that's fair.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
well said pounce, i also hope they do everything they can to make sure that banned members are banned forever, even if they buy a new console. blacklist their names and credit cards, etc.

and i'm sure they'll clear the names and consoles of the falsely banned parties. microsoft isnt out to "shaft" anyone, modded consoles not only take away sales, but they also introduce cheating, that's why i never played halo 2 online, luckily in the military there were plenty of people to have large and very fun system link games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly /forum/post/0

use alternative free multiplayer services that are still available to play games online. It just prevents these same people from spending money on XBox Live Arcade, add-ons, etc.

like? xlink? lol. microsoft pretty much put an end to that, any system link connection now requires 30ms or less ping, so you might be able to play "online" with friends up to maybe 80-100 miles, but that's it.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/0

well said pounce, i also hope they do everything they can to make sure that banned members are banned forever, even if they buy a new console. blacklist their names and credit cards, etc.

and i'm sure they'll clear the names and consoles of the falsely banned parties. microsoft isnt out to "shaft" anyone, modded consoles not only take away sales, but they also introduce cheating, that's why i never played halo 2 online, luckily in the military there were plenty of people to have large and very fun system link games.

like? xlink? lol. microsoft pretty much put an end to that, any system link connection now requires 30ms or less ping, so you might be able to play "online" with friends up to maybe 80-100 miles, but that's it.

They'll never stop the modders, thats a fact, and of course the hackers will hack the console in time. Making it so the 30 ms limit on games become obsolete. The dvd drive hack does not introduce any cheating, the cheating can be done with no modded console.

·
Registered
84 Posts
probably like most people, i just want to play fair games without cheaters. people modding their games can become an annoyance to people trying to just play fair games for fun. if this reduces some of the irksome qualities of playing xbox live it will be better for the whole community.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1 /forum/post/0

They'll never stop the modders, thats a fact, and of course the hackers will hack the console in time. Making it so the 30 ms limit on games become obsolete. The dvd drive hack does not introduce any cheating, the cheating can be done with no modded console.

This is not true.

They have been stopping the modders with the latest update, and the way people were cheating was changing the resources on a burned copy of a game.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce /forum/post/0

if you are pirating games and modding the boxes to let you play pirated games this shouldn't be a surprise. i don't have any sympathy for those who were caught cheating. boo hoo. as for false positives, i have no idea what triggers that or statistically how many actually innocent people got banned. i have to believe that at the very least the vast vast majority of folks who got banned earned it.

i don't know all of the avs forum policies, but the pro audio forum i moderate in has a no tolerance for piracy or any advocacy of piracy policy. so when i hear any bitching about folks who were using pirate copies of anything, i don't have any sympathy. i bought my games and am not getting banned. that's how it's supposed to work and that's fair.

Hear! Hear! I couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j /forum/post/0

This is not true.

They have been stopping the modders with the latest update, and the way people were cheating was changing the resources on a burned copy of a game.

Ok, so they stopped them from playing on live? so what, have they stopped them from playing the backup discs? nope not really. The cheating wasn't done with changing the resources, that was done by glitching a game on an unmodified console.
Even with the banned modded consoles you will still see cheating, i assure that.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.