AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us?ocid=ASPEN_SEM_bing_&cid=ASPEN_SEM_bing_

When you take that formidable lineup of technology. And apply it to areas that naturally showcase its native strengths...like holographic game controllers of all types & arrays...it has unprecedented potential. I am ecstatic that Microsoft is freeing this technology from the straitjacket of Xbox consoles (present & future). Because the PC world of Windows, Linux & others is where it will shine. This tech will help expand a limitless range of emerging categories IMO. And even ignite existing 2D game categories, by adding the potential of "augmented reality" to the mix. VR will shine when it employs the native advantages embedded within the potential of Kinect and a merged Hololens control architecture. IMO this could easily usher in an age of completely different kind of gaming controls. No More manual Xbox 360 controller. Or keyboard. Or mouse...keypad...joysticks...flight controls...driving wheels...etc. We'll may get all of that in our 3D AR, or 3D VR spaces along with the holographic HUD. Imagine tapping a point near you actual head, that corresponds with activation of a specific code in a VR HUD...ditto for a 2D game with Hololens...and you get the idea. I think Microsoft finally figured out that maybe Xbox console strategy was actually holding the company back in many technology areas that is critical to the success of its core business and its enterprise future.

I started this thread to explore real Next Generation HTPC/PC gaming activity around Microsoft's initiatives. And how it interacts or gains synergy with other platforms. I personally would buy Hololens, Windows 10 and Kinect 2.0 just to play PC games with the myriad of new controller options it could spawn. Sort of like being "Green Lantern" type control in a virtual space.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Watched the video. It looked very cool. If it gains traction I may bite, but I have to disagree with the controllers aspect, at least with respect to a steering wheel for games. I remember when Microsoft axed their inexpensive but very functional wheel for a Wii-style one. It sucked. Bad. Why? Because you had to keep your arms up in the air with no support. How long could a person realistically do that for? I like the tactile feel of a wheel that is planted to something secure that I can rest my hands on. That, to me, is realism. I bought my kids a Vita and the augmented reality was very neat, but limited, as is the AR function of my Xperia Z3 camera. I would like to see it developed beyond the point of gimmickry and make it something genuinely useful and complementary to gaming. Time will tell.

Reactions: barrelbelly
1 - 2 of 2 Posts