AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Xbox 360 owners... To download this ad, go to:


Xbox live Marketplace --> Media and Entertainment --> Movies and Short Films --> Digital Entertainment --> Xbox 360 HD DVD Player (720p)


"DVD has evolved. Six times the resolution. Six times the wow . Hi-Def movies - up to 1080p."


The ad starts out with one guy breakdancing. He's wearing a DVD shirt.

Then six guys come out and breakdance too. They're wearing HD DVD shirts.


WTF???



P.S. Ironically, the TV displayed at the end of the ad is a Samsung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire99 /forum/post/0


They forgot to add the last part about their add-on: "But the same old audio as DVD since 1996."

Unless you buy any other player on the market, that is...

Hmmm. I better check the back of my Contact case and double check it has Dolby TrueHD since it should be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0


For the Xbox 360 owners... To download this ad, go to:


Xbox live Marketplace --> Media and Entertainment --> Movies and Short Films --> Digital Entertainment --> Xbox 360 HD DVD Player (720p)


"DVD has evolved. Six times the resolution. Six times the wow . Hi-Def movies - up to 1080p."


The ad starts out with one guy breakdancing. He's wearing a DVD shirt.

Then six guys come out and breakdance too. They're wearing HD DVD shirts.


WTF???



P.S. Ironically, the TV displayed at the end of the ad is a Samsung.


Its cute and creative. You get 6 times the performance with HD DVD than just standard old DVD. As someone going into Advertising...I've always loved MS's ads (especially the banned one with the "shootout" in the transit station)


EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuRQmvykwk Theres the banned ad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't find it cute and creative at all. Not only does it tell you nothing about the product, it also isn't very interesting. I just find it annoying, as if they're trying to make themselves look cool, but failing miserably. Come to think of it, it kind of reminds of the original Zune ad, which gave me the exact same vibe. We all know how much that Zune ad made people want to go out and buy the Zune.


But, YMMV.


P.S. Personally, I think the most effective consumer electronics ads in recent times are the iPod silhouette ads .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod /forum/post/0


Hmmm. I better check the back of my Contact case and double check it has Dolby TrueHD since it should be the same.

Tell me how you can actually get any of the HD-DVD audio formats like Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR, or DTS-HD MA out of the XB360 (not downsampled) and I'll buy one. I just think it's funny for MS to tout it's HD-DVD player when it doesn't actually offer you the benefits of said format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire99 /forum/post/0


They forgot to add the last part about their add-on: "But the same old audio as DVD since 1996."

Unless you buy any other player on the market, that is...

Not exactly. With the addon, consistently getting DD at 640kps, DTS 1.5 or WMA Pro 1.5 is better than DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
 Here is the ad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0


Theres an advertisement on the 360 which says "The Matrix Trilogy coming to HD DVD"

So thats nice, I hope 360 HD DVD player sales pick up, those look like the slowest selling players.

Unfortunately, we Canadians can't access that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire99 /forum/post/0


They forgot to add the last part about their add-on: "But the same old audio as DVD since 1996."

Unless you buy any other player on the market, that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim /forum/post/0


Not exactly. With the addon, consistently getting DD at 640kps, DTS 1.5 or WMA Pro 1.5 is better than DVD.

Ditto. If wildfire99's statement was made before the May update it may have swayed that way to a certain extent. But now after, it is not truthfull at all. For a measly $199 you can get an excellent HD-DVD player as an option for the 360. Even better if you got it last week, Circuit City gave you two free movies of your choice on the spot. There was even a $40 off $199 coupon floating around (still is) one could have possibly used in conjunction with the purchase for a grand total of $159 with the 2 free movies (YMMV of course). If that's not an HD bargain, I don't know what is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire99 /forum/post/0


Tell me how you can actually get any of the HD-DVD audio formats like Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR, or DTS-HD MA out of the XB360 (not downsampled) and I'll buy one. I just think it's funny for MS to tout it's HD-DVD player when it doesn't actually offer you the benefits of said format.

Not 5.1 lossless, but you can set the Toslink output to PCM and get out 2 channel lossless. Something to keep in mind if the source is only 2 channel or you only have stereo speakers set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire99 /forum/post/0


Bobgspr wins. I hadn't thought about the 2.0 output via optical.



But I still stand by my claim--it can decode advanced audio until the cows come home but you'll never get it out of the console, thus it is already obsoleted. That's all I'll say, I didn't mean to start another argument over it .

My point was that on DVD most of the time you were / are listening to a lower bit rate, usually Dolby Digital, 448kbps or a less that max bit rate DTS. With hd dvd addon you're always listening to maxed out bit rates on DD and DTS. The source of your decode can be higher as well with something like TruHD.


Short of lossless and uncompressed PCM 5.1 that's the best most people's audio systems are going to do anyway for surround encoded movies, and in case you haven't noticed most hd dvd's aren't offering you lossless anyway, regardless of your player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has this ad been shown on TV yet?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top