Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft, Tivo or Replay?

Which one and why?

I am posting this in all three groups as I can't seem to get a solid answer.

What do I do?

Eddy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I would honestly have to say that it depends on what you use to watch TV.....satellite, cable, etc. Also what kind of features you are looking for and if you are willing to pay extra fees for the service to keep it running.

MS's Ultimate TV:

Only Works with DirectTV/Satellite

Pre-Set amounts for storage up to 35 hours

Allows you to access the Internet at the same time as watching TV, but using a standard phone line to connect

Monthly Service "starts at $9.95 a month" PLUS DirectTV costs - No "Lifetime Service" Option

Units start at $299 (according to ultimatetv.com)

Tivo:

Can be used with any video source (even special versions for satellite)

Pre-set storage amounts up to 60 hours, but many have have "hacked" the units for more storage

Records more shows that it thinks you will "like" based on "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" ratings

Uses Standard phone to get guide info

Monthly service ($9.95) or Lifetime service options ($249.00)

Units start at $199 (according to tivo.com)

Replay:

Can be used with any video source

Preset storage amount up to 320 hours (with the upcoming 4000 units), many have hacked the pre-4000 units to have almost as much storage

records shows via "replay zones" which have certian subjects, etc

Pre-4000 units and Showstopper units use standard phone line and 4000 units use broadband

No Monthly service fees

Pre-4000 units and Showstoppers start at about $200 (open box) - $499 (new) and 4000 units start at $699

(The 4000 units allow you to automatically skip commercials, connect to your home network, transfer shows, etc)

Ok.....anything else I missed?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
That's pretty much it. The only thing I would add is to search all 3 forums for this type of information. You'll find lots of comparisons.

I am assuming that you have DirecTV since you are including UltimateTV in the mix. If so, you might want to know that I got an integrated satellite receiver with TiVo for free after rebate, paid $249 for lifetime service and then got another TiVo for $99 and did NOT have to pay lifetime service.

DirecTV with TiVo and UltimateTV will ONLY record satellite signals. So make sure you get EVERYTHING from the satellite and nothing from cable or OTA. Otherwise, get a Replay or a standalone TiVo.

There's a thread here that says people are findings ReplayTV for as little as $99, which would be a great deal since it includes lifetime service. Assuming they can survive the legal onslaught from 3 mega-rich networks, that is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ReplayTV units can be controlled remotely via the web. This is a useful feature if you travel a lot, or take long vacations. It's not a 100% reliable service, but I for one am glad it's there.

I don't think the Tivos or Ultimates have this feature.

Tony

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Edmonton
Microsoft, Tivo or Replay?

Which one and why?

I am posting this in all three groups as I can't seem to get a solid answer.

What do I do?

Eddy
I would think your biggest criteria is which system works in Canada. Straight out of the box, ReplayTV does not. That said, a few hearty Canucks have fudged their way into the ReplayTV system. I have no idea if the others are Canada compatible.

Bye. :cool:

PS. I was born in Saint Boniface, Manitoba.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I can't claim to be un-biased here, so I won't even try.

I will, however, post one serious caution: the UltimateTV is slooooooooooooow! I was very surprised when I had the chance to sit down and play with one. I would almost certainly hit it with a hammer within 48 hours of installation.

I have (personally) the ReplayTV 3000-series, the TiVo standalone (Philips) and the Sony DirecTiVo. They all have their strong and weak points, but all are good products. I think I'd wait on UltimateTV for at least another software generation to see whether the performance becomes acceptable. Also, you might consider waiting another month or two until you can try out a ReplayTV 4000 in person.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theprophe

french maybe? i was born in elmwood
Though I was born in a French Catholic hospital full of nuns with funny hats, and St. Boniface still has street signs in French first to this day, my family there consisted of Eastern European interlopers who were not French or Catholic. And this is in spite of the fact that my real surname ( no it's not really Doodle ) is actually of French ( along the German border ) origin.

And what did this have to do with ReplayTV? I forget. :confused:

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMike

I will, however, post one serious caution: the UltimateTV is slooooooooooooow! I was very surprised when I had the chance to sit down and play with one. I would almost certainly hit it with a hammer within 48 hours of installation.

I have (personally) the ReplayTV 3000-series, the TiVo standalone (Philips) and the Sony DirecTiVo. They all have their strong and weak points, but all are good products. I think I'd wait on UltimateTV for at least another software generation to see whether the performance becomes acceptable. Also, you might consider waiting another month or two until you can try out a ReplayTV 4000 in person.
Mike owns TWO TiVos and only one Replay?! :eek:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, but he's got a big honkin' hacked one with custom software ;)

Quote:
Mike owns TWO TiVos and only one Replay?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMike

Sounded pretty unbiased to me. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for not getting back to your replies sooner.

I had a MAJOR system crash.

I Have started new and now running WinXP.

It may take a few days to read over all the comments.

Thanx for the replies!

Eddy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.