AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Since DirecTV-Echostar may drop support for UTV, it is beginning to look like Cable is the way to go.

If DirecTV-Echostar drops UTV, and major cable companies provide boxes with UTV support, then satellite providers will have some major competition.

For people in remote locations, without cable, then satellite may be their only choice. Otherwise cable with UTV would be a good choice. Especially if they provide fast internet access.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I disagree, cable sucks, always has. I've been a DirecTV sub for over 8 years now and would never consider going back to cable...

fyi, Tivo just inked a deal with AT&T on their cable boxes, ReplayTV and Microsoft both have their own deals in the works as well. I think the whole idea of UTV going away just because of the merger is bunk, really. Why would they want to shut out products??

·
Registered
67 Posts
No way will I ever go back to cable! I can always use the regular type satellite boxes with no disk and no recording capability, I must have the better picture and sound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If they stopped supporting the UTV features what would you not be able to do then that you can now? I know the box said that you can still pause tv whether you sign up for the $9.95 service or not.

M!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flfmmqp
If they stopped supporting the UTV features what would you not be able to do then that you can now? I know the box said that you can still pause tv whether you sign up for the $9.95 service or not.

M!
No. If the merger goes through, either Echostar or DirecTV subscribers (possibly both) will need new equipment (although it will be supplied at no charge). The old equipment will be useless (receivers as well as combo PVRs).

I for one do not want to trade my DTiVo for a DishPVR, and I'm sure you UTV folks feel the same way.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I don't understand why people are so worried about UTV not being supported if the merger goes through. There is no upside to an equipment swap either way. (DTV or Dish) Each service provider has at least a million subscribers, and if new hardware was say $50.00/ea (just an example) there is a HUGE amount of money involved, and for what. If they own both formats, and both formats are making money for them, where is the incentive to spend more money than what the merger is already costing them. That would be rather dumb on their part. If on the other hand they are trying to reduce piracy, well it's still an expensive way to just eliminate the relatively small money they 'lose' to the pirates, and both DTV and Dish are already hackable so it would be irelevant to switch to one or the other for this reason as well.

What do you all think?

-PGPfan

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think the reason for H/W swap is elimination of duplication of service. Both DISH and DTV has separate birds that handle the same channels. By having a single set of H/W, only a single sat is required.

The result is that more channels are then available, which probably translates on offering more services/options/channels they can sell.

This is the simple view, but H/W swapout is an immense problem in time, technology. cost, and customer opinion.

Ed

·
Registered
248 Posts
Echostar has already said there will be a hardware swap. Period. And considering their opinion of the DirecTV platform (specifically how easily hackable it is), they would probably make us all switch to Echostar platform equipment (even though we outnumber them 10 million to 6 million). Or there is the possibility of a completely new platform for all 16 million of us :eek:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The ratio of things said in press releases verses things actually done is somewhat less than 1.0.

Others have offered the opinion that DISH is just as hackable as DTV.

If the merger is approved, $ will drive the decisions. Hardware swap costs are in the 5-10 Billion range. It might be cheaper to pick one or the other and launch new birds. Botton line is nobody knows, and what ever happens will be years away.

Ed

·
Registered
125 Posts
Given new compression capabilities, the best route is to go to a third platform. New receivers could have chipsets for all three, D*, E*, and the new platform. This would enable a gradual shift to the target.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think that 'if' an equipment swap actually materializes, that there are so many people that would be furious that it ultimately wouldn't justify the cash outlay. Since the ultimate goal of the merger is to make money, why would it be necessary or desirable to replace one for the other.

I suspect that yes they will swap sooner or later, but the increase in channel availability will come from launching a 'bird' for HDTV. Now 'that' would be a better way to do a swap and not piss off tons of existing subscribers and still retain the existing revenue flow from both Dish and Dtv.

Just my 2 cents!

-PGPfan

·
Registered
248 Posts
There's really no point in their merging if they don't go to some common hardware platform. The only reason they want to merge is to combine the satellite bandwidth so they can offer more local channels and compete better with cable. They can only do this with a common hardware platform.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.