AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally.....I was able to order Vista Ultimate today from Ingram Micro. I guess the others should be getting it soon. I had been told that they had a hard time getting the DVD's from the duplicator. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Good Luck.....

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have been running Vista Business for about a month now (Microsoft Partner). I have to say that while I am impressed with the interface and all, the OS itself is nothing to go crazy over. It does appear to be more secure, via user account control, but that can also be an annoyance if you edit .ini files alot, etc. It is a pretty big resource hog, but that is to be expected when you use the new Windows Aero interface. I will be curious to see what other users have to say about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Been using retail since November and it's great for anyone who just surfs the web 24/7 but if you actually want to use your computer, it's still too early. Support is pathetic and stability is every where. MCE for it is a joke and UAC is something really good you should get used to, unless you like reformatting month to month...

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeorwned /forum/post/0

UAC is something really good you should get used to, unless you like reformatting month to month...

UAC is going to kill Vista, in my humble opinion.. It's only useful with managed applications specifically written for Vista.. how many apps are there like that??

So you will end up disabling UAC and be no more secure than with XP.. so why bother upgrading? to slow down your machine??

They should have come up with a better way for legacy apps to work on Vista.. as a software developer I am looking at my install scripts, how my apps make changes to the registry, etc.. it's a nightmare..

And as far as using Vista for a media center.. you better hope MS has provided all the programs you need.. because none of the tried and true apps used on XP are guaranteed to work..

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.